Royal Ballet Winter 2019/20 casting

I have funny feeling that I'm not going to end up getting to see Hayward and Corrales in Swan Lake :( - they only have two dates, one of which I definitely can't make, and the other of which is looking distinctly likely to have a clash.  Still, one hopes that's a partnership which will last until the subsequent revival... (I can't make Magri's single public performance either, unfortunately.)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Am I reading that correctly? Muntagirov as Onegin but “only” Lensky for Ball? 

I've got no issue with "only" Lensky for Ball.  He was perfect casting in the role last time and I can't imagine him being as good a fit for the title role... but then, I'd say the same of Muntagirov.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I've got no issue with "only" Lensky for Ball.  He was perfect casting in the role last time and I can't imagine him being as good a fit for the title role... but then, I'd say the same of Muntagirov.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Ball’s wonderful as Lensky.  Personally though, I do think he’s more suited to Onegin than Muntagirov is. 

Very sad about no Morera and Bonelli.

• Like 2

Pleased to see Joseph Sissens prominently cast in Onegin but sad not to see James Hay cast in....anything? At least he has the lead in Sleeping Beauty and, I assume, Benno. I think Fumi Kaneko should be great in Swan Lake but personally disappointed that Claire Calvert isn’t given an opportunity. I know many may disagree though, as it looks KOH does too 😉 

Edited by Ianlond
  • Like 9

I'm pretty happy with the casting of Onegin but how fascinating would it have been to see two swapped performances (like La Bayadere)! 

Can you imagine Nunez/Soares swapping with Cuthbertson/Muntagirov (I know these aren't actually pairings sadly!) in the Tatiana/Onegin Olga/Lensky roles and swapping! Although obviously this would mean fewer casts overall I suppose but how entertaining it would have been! 

• Like 1

Sorry I've not been around long enough to know the history there...but I guess it wasn't good! Anyway I'm generally happy with Winter casting...don't look a gift horse in the mouth etc

Now to save up for this (before I've even booked Autumn!!) 

5 hours ago, JNC said:

Agree Hallberg may as well be principal at this point! Where’s Morera (and Campbell) - shame these are underused (especially if at the expense of Hallberg in Campbell’s case).

Hmm, I really don't see Campbell being used as a partner for Osipova - do you?

• Like 7

If the ROH doesn’t live cast Onegin at the cinema I will cry. I am preferring the RB ballets of the 1960s and 1970s to the purely classical “white ballets” of Petipa now although given no “Swan Lake” or “Nutcracker” I might change my mind.

Thiago Soares is back ?

And pity about Reece Clarke, he was so promising a few seasons ago in Sleeping Beauty !  He should get the oportunities now or go into another company !  It does not make sense to me when you see some of the principals...

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, alison said:

Haha no, it's more to make the point that Hallberg is taking the place of a principal dancer. If Osipova danced with an RB principal currently dancing that would leave 'room' so to speak for a general shuffle and Campbell to fit in somewhere. I think my general point overall is that currently the RB have a lot of good male principals who are versatile across many roles (and also first soloists, soloists etc) so Hallberg isn't strictly necessary. It's nice to have guest artists make an appearance every now and again but for Hallberg to be cast so frequently so far in the 19/20 season is a bit disheartening as in a pure numbers game he is taking the opportunity away from RB dancers. 

I just had a curious thought based on Max's post, wonder how Reece Clark and Osipova would pair together...

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fiz said:

If the ROH doesn’t live cast Onegin at the cinema I will cry. I am preferring the RB ballets of the 1960s and 1970s to the purely classical “white ballets” of Petipa now although given no “Swan Lake” or “Nutcracker” I might change my mind.

Will the Cranko Estate allow a live cinema relay? Have I missed something?

5 hours ago, munchkin16 said:

After seeing her Juliet I was hoping to see Beatriz Stix-Brunell in another lead role as she was so stunning artistically and technically. She’s lit up the stage in everything I’ve seen her in, even just in supporting roles. Am I missing something or is she not cast much? What can I see her in this season?

At least she has got second cast in the new Marston. Which is more than Hamilton, Mendizabel, Calvert or Choe have so far, as unless I'm missing something I can't see any of them listed at all among the Winter 20 casting. The younger female First Soloists seem to be doing rather better than the older ones this coming season.

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

Don’t get me wrong, I think Ball’s wonderful as Lensky.  Personally though, I do think he’s more suited to Onegin than Muntagirov is. 

When I saw Ball doing the Apparitions with Cuthbertson at the Fonteyn Celebration I thought he had a very Onegin vibe in that so was rather expecting him to be cast in the role. However I guess he's got plenty of time, given the role seems to be cast older. I can't quite imagine Muntagirov as Onegin but certainly intend to get a ticket to see how it works out. (NB Opinions on Onegin suitability are based more on seeing the opera than the ballet, as I've only seen the ballet on video.)

2 hours ago, alison said:

Frankly I think she'd eat him alive!

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I find it rather curious that Lauren Cuthbertson has been chosen now for the live cinema screening of Swan Lake and for the new Marston, as well as for The Sleeping Beauty as previously announced.

Well, if she's creating the lead role they can hardly not cast her for the cinema, can they?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

Just now realizing that Lamb isn't cast in anything so far for the winter? Or maybe my eyes are deceiving me...

Your eyes are deceiving you! She has three performances of Swan Lake opposite Hirano.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

Just now realizing that Lamb isn't cast in anything so far for the winter? Or maybe my eyes are deceiving me...

She dances thrice with Hirano in Swan Lake (albeit that is March/April which still seems to be Winter for the ROH) and partners him  in The Sleeping Beauty in December. She misses out on Coppélia and Onegin though.  

(post just clashed with RuthE!) 

Edited by Richard LH

8 hours ago, alison said:

Well, if she's creating the lead role they can hardly not cast her for the cinema, can they?

For the Marston? Perhaps, although  Beatriz Stix-Brunell is also creating the role. But it was the fact that it is also Cuthbertson  in the live cinema for the other two major productions that I find strange.

We have discussed before how it would be good if other dancers   could now get more lead role opportunities in these screenings. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

We have discussed before how it would be good if other dancers   could now get more lead role opportunities in these screenings. 

........... and, just to stir the pot, I was hoping that the simply marvellous Swan Lake combination of Takada/Bracewell would have been carried forward into the coming season. It would have been understandable if he couldn't be given the live relay because he's not (yet) a Principal: but he has it and Takada has not. It seems as if there are some dancers whose partnering preferences take precedence over other considerations.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

........... and, just to stir the pot, I was hoping that the simply marvellous Swan Lake combination of Takada/Bracewell would have been carried forward into the coming season. It would have been understandable if he couldn't be given the live relay because he's not (yet) a Principal: but he has it and Takada has not. It seems as if there are some dancers whose partnering preferences take precedence over other considerations.

Not quite sure what is meant by this in this context: I wasn’t aware that Takada, Bracewell or Cuthbertson had settled partners.

On a related subject, I’ve defended Osipova in the past about her frequent casting with Hallberg - and I stand by my view that the responsibility lies with Kevin O’Hare - but unless KO’H means to make Hallberg a permanent member of the company, perhaps we should see a little less of him. There’s no question in my mind that in some repertoire he is still very worth seeing, and there have been times this last season where he has helped allay the shortages in the upper ranks of the RB men, but his presence has become a little ubiquitous IMO.

But perhaps it’s all part of a grand scheme - maybe KO’H is using Hallberg as a very distinguished stopgap while some of the men are given time to develop a bit further.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, alison said:

Why not?  They allowed a live big-screen relay some years ago ...

They’ve never allowed RB to produce a DVD though and I can’t see that changing.  Plus it’s not listed in the 2020 cinema schedule.

51 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Not quite sure what is meant by this in this context: I wasn’t aware that Takada, Bracewell or Cuthbertson had settled partners.

On a related subject, I’ve defended Osipova in the past about her frequent casting with Hallberg - and I stand by my view that the responsibility lies with Kevin O’Hare - but unless KO’H means to make Hallberg a permanent member of the company, perhaps we should see a little less of him. There’s no question in my mind that in some repertoire he is still very worth seeing, and there have been times this last season where he has helped allay the shortages in the upper ranks of the RB men, but his presence has become a little ubiquitous IMO.

But perhaps it’s all part of a grand scheme - maybe KO’H is using Hallberg as a very distinguished stopgap while some of the men are given time to develop a bit further.

Just to stir the pot a tad further (ha!), I actually don't mind the presence of Hallberg as of yet because I still think the male section of the company needs some work. I, for one, don't think RB's batch of men are where they need to be just yet on versatility, technique, and developing a presence on stage in the classical repertoire (although it shouldn't take that much more nurturing to get them where they need to be). Perhaps that's why KOH always has his eyes set on Muntagirov in granting him live screenings and opening nights? He seems to be the only one who has it all in the pure classics (although I admit, he needs to work alot on his acting in the more theatrical ballets). 

• Like 2

Have to say I'm not that bowled over by the Onegin casting. Muntagirov is a Lensky not an Onegin he's too boyish for Onegin in my opinion.  Not brooding enough.  No Morera, Lamb or Campbell?  Glad to see Soares is dancing the only matinee and I do like him  as Onegin.  IF I can get a ticket....

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

Have to say I'm not that bowled over by the Onegin casting. Muntagirov is a Lensky not an Onegin he's too boyish for Onegin in my opinion.  Not brooding enough

I think it depends on your reading of Onegin’s character (mine seems to be a minority opinion around here).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I'm sorry. I realise now that I was being obtuse. I'll come clean. I  would rather see Takada (and Hayward) dance with someone other than McRae with whom one or other of them gets paired a lot. But I appreciate that that's a personal preference.

I'm wondering whether those who are sceptical about Muntagirov's acting and his being cast as Onegin saw his Vershinin in Winter Dreams or his Beliaev in Month in the Country? I know he is a wonderful Lensky but he should surely be allowed opportunities to tackle new roles/new demands as much as anyone else is. Because he is such a supreme classicist, it would all to easy to give him repeat role after repeat role but, fair play to Kevin O'Hare, he is not doing that and I, for one, am looking forward (very much) to seeking what Muntagirov makes of the Onegin challenge.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 15