Leeds ballet school recommendations

Kanangra

HI, my daughter is relocating from Australia to Leeds to take up a place at NSCD. She was supposed to be taking her RAD Advanced 2 exam before she leaves but her studio has just received their exam dates and it is too late for her.  We are investigating the possibility of transferring her exam to the UK and wondering if anyone can recommend a good ballet school in Leeds who could facilitate this?  Doing the exam earlier here is not an option, unfortunately. Thanks in advance!

Via their website I have found a few schools on the map but I don't know what they are like. As we all know not all dance schools are equal! In Australia they usually run the exams at RAD HQ and they also go to studios at certain times of the year - I'm guessing it is similar there and she would do the exam whenever the examiners go to Leeds.

Thanks - she is hoping to transfer to do her exam there either in London or Manchester at that session.It is just finding a school where she can join their classes to maintain preparation that is difficult! Though she feels confident she can prepare just with studio hire if she has to.

Could you ask at NSCD if they know any teachers who teach RAD syllabus locally?  Explain the situation and I'm sure they will help if they can.  

Or maybe contact Yorkshire Dance (who are based in Leeds City Centre) and see if they know anyone.  If nothing else they may be able to help with studio hire.  They have studios available for hire and I think they have a standby system which offers studio hire at a very reasonable rate if the studios aren't booked commercially.

• Like 1

In Manchester you have Centrepoint that have teachers that teach to this standard I know Elmhurst 6th form students that go back there to do their Adv 2 

Just an idea maybe she could have privates on the weekend just to boost her confidence and run through the syllabus 

we have gone there in between contracts very high standard just don’t know if there’s public transport nearby 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 22:23, sunrise81 said:

What about lessons at Northern Ballet in Leeds? I dont know what level they teach to, but I know they are taught by Jane Tucker who is just fantastic!!!!

AoNB working age adult offering  is  rather lacklustre ,  offering only  really    beginner and improver  classes . 

some of the teachers who teach for AoNB   do teach elsewhere nad offer privates,    as  does  one of NSCDs  CAT ballet teachers ... 

and there is KNT in Manchester as well , Karen is  a fabulous teacher  though  their current adult  graded  offering is only to Inter ... but i suspect karen would be able to  advise 

Edited by NJH
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. I haven't asked NSCD yet as I feel they might turn around and say they can't make recommendations, but it might be worth asking. Northern have said they don't have a class she can do. Another school (40 minutes away) could assist but with only with private lessons (not ruling this out at the moment). And a few other schools I have sent messages to haven't replied yet (I think on holidays). Thanks I will look into Centrepoint too. 

Would you recommend she do her exam in London or Manchester? I think there are exams on at a similar time (Nov-Dec). I think classes are still on at NSCD during this period - I suppose either venue is going to be a disruption for that day's classes.

Edited by Kanangra

Sorry I really don’t know anything about Manchester RAD exam facilities. Depends on your daughter but Im guessing she won’t mind as long as she knows what type of floor they are using  in the exam studio. She will need photo ID aswell very strict on that or they use to be. 

Mine took it at lower school but I don’t know of any English Vocational lower schools that do Adv 1 and 2 .  

If you want me to ring round from UK then pm me 

Good luck 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canary said:

Sorry I really don’t know anything about Manchester RAD exam facilities. Depends on your daughter but Im guessing she won’t mind as long as she knows what type of floor they are using  in the exam studio. She will need photo ID aswell very strict on that or they use to be. 

Mine took it at lower school but I don’t know of any English Vocational lower schools that do Adv 1 and 2 .  

Don’t Elmhurst offer it.? Not as external students would be allowed in their classes of course. But it surprised me about you saying about them going to Centrepoint. Hammond regularly enter students for Adv 1 & 2, sometimes the exams are held at the school, sometimes they travel to Manchester. 

• 2 weeks later...

Deborah Coultish School in Alwoodley (about 15 minutes outside Leeds/from NSCD) has an adult ballet class on a Monday night where Advanced 2 is taught. It's a bit of a mix of abilities but at least 2 students seriously setting themselves up for Advanced 2. It's split with the flat work taught from 7.30 - 8.45 and then pointework from 8.45 - 9.15ish. Deborah is fab, and very experienced.

• Like 2

I would also highly recommend Centre Pointe in Manchester, on their social media they have recently just announced that one of their pupils has just got RAD Advanced 2 with 96 marks Distinction. They have a very experienced RAD faculty and are renowned for getting exemplary results. 

• Like 1

I know somebody else who goes to Deborah Coultish in Alwoodley for Adv 2 and recommends. I really want to make it but weekday evenings are tricky for me as it's a 45 min-1 hour drive home and I have to be up for work in the morning! And I teach until 6.30 so not certain whether I could get there on time!