PRESS RELEASE: Akram Khan's Giselle makes UK return (2019)

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn

English National Ballet
Akram Khan’s Giselle
Sadler’s Wells, London
Wednesday 18 – Saturday 28th September 2019

www.ballet.org.uk/akram-khan-giselle/

Akram Khan’s Giselle returns to the UK for the first time since 2017, following acclaimed international performances in Moscow, Luxembourg and Chicago so far this year.

R2lzZWxsZSBQUiBwaG90b3MuSlBH

Now the production is returning to Sadler’s Wells, London, for 13 performances from Wednesday 18th – Saturday 28th September. 

Since its world premiere in 2016, Khan’s reimagined Giselle has been seen live by over 86,000 people through tours to eleven cities, in the UK and internationally. Giselle has also been broadcast in cinemas and on television, reaching an audience of over 160,000 through broadcasts internationally. 

For the first time, there will be an audio described performance of Giselle on Thursday 19 September, making the production accessible to visually impaired people. Based on the original audio description created by Audio Described Aotearoa as part of the Auckland Arts Festival, a description of the action as it appears on stage will be given as well as an on-stage ‘touch tour’ ahead of the performance, in which participants are given the opportunity to familiarise themselves with costumes and props through touch.

2020 will see Akram Khan return to create a second full-length production for the company, following the success of Giselle. Taking inspiration from Mary Shelley’s literary classic, Frankenstein, this new ballet titled Creature, is influenced by essential questions on ambition, human endeavour and morality.

-ENDS- 

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England.

Notes to Editors

Akram Khan's Giselle
Sadler's Wells
Wednesday 18 - Saturday 28 September 2019
Box office: www.ballet.org.uk/akram-khan-giselle / www.sadlerswells.com/english-national-ballet-akram-khans-giselle/

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has played a major role in the growth and history of ballet in the UK. Today, English National Ballet is renowned for taking world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through its national and international tour programme, offsite performances at festivals including Glastonbury and Latitude, its distinguished orchestra English National Ballet Philharmonic, and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice and delivery, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s. Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo, English National Ballet has gained new acclaim as it introduces innovative new works to the Company’s repertoire while continuing to honour and reinvigorate traditional ballet.
www.ballet.org.uk  

About Arts Council England

Arts Council England is the national development body for arts and culture across England, working to enrich people’s lives. We support a range of activities across the arts, museums and libraries – from theatre to visual art, reading to dance, music to literature, and crafts to collections. Great art and culture inspires us, brings us together and teaches us about ourselves and the world around us. In short, it makes life better. Between 2018 and 2022, we will invest £1.45 billion of public money from government and an estimated £860 million from the National Lottery to help create these experiences for as many people as possible across the country. www.artscouncil.org.uk

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Probably not worth starting a new thread, but this is worth noting from the New York Times in the Links from a couple of days ago:

"Rojo, 48, will dance the role of Giselle twice at the Brooklyn Academy — one of the last times she will perform, before bowing out in October with a final “Giselle” in Paris."

Personally,  I wish whoever is the new AD at ENB schedules the Mary Skeaping Giselle rather than Akram Khan.  I've never seen it but it sounds terrific and I'd love to compare it to the Peter Wright version. Even if they do what they did a few years ago and programme both of them in the same run that would be OK. They'd probably appeal to different audiences and those who enjoy both can have fun comparing them. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, alison said:

Probably not worth starting a new thread, but this is worth noting from the New York Times in the Links from a couple of days ago:

"Rojo, 48, will dance the role of Giselle twice at the Brooklyn Academy — one of the last times she will perform, before bowing out in October with a final “Giselle” in Paris."

Very sad at the thought of not seeing her dance again. A truly great dance actress with that indefinable quality that can't be taught and is possessed by very few.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Personally,  I wish whoever is the new AD at ENB schedules the Mary Skeaping Giselle rather than Akram Khan.  I've never seen it but it sounds terrific and I'd love to compare it to the Peter Wright version. Even if they do what they did a few years ago and programme both of them in the same run that would be OK. They'd probably appeal to different audiences and those who enjoy both can have fun comparing them. 

The Skeaping Giselle is marvellous and I would love to see it again.  

• Like 5

I will always prefer a more traditional production of Giselle but did enjoy the Khan one as well! 
I’ve just misread the title here and thought Khans Giselle was being performed this coming September and just thought great another chance to see it 🙄 
However very much love both the Skeaping and Wright productions as well!! 

• Jan McNulty changed the title to PRESS RELEASE: Akram Khan's Giselle makes UK return (2019)
On 10/06/2022 at 12:17, alison said:

I just watched her Giselle last night in New York, she was still a great dancer and the performance itself was really touching.

I always admire British dance companies since I can see the new attempts which I rarely find in US companies, and Khan's Giselle was one of the productions that I most enjoyed in my life.

• Like 10