Shale Wagman’s debut in La Sylphide Fri 19th July 2019 at the Mariinsky Theatre, St Petersburg

La Sylphide , Mariinsky Theatre , St Petersburg. Friday 19th July 2019

The privilege of sitting in this historic and beautiful theatre to witness the outstanding debut of the youngest ever guest to dance on this stage, will stay with me for ever.
It is so rare for a guest from another company to feature so prominently. What a challenge for this 19 yr old Canadian to dance the role of James.
And he did he rise to the challenge ? Shale Wagman devoured the choreography and made it look effortless. The many clips posted to his Instagram account show the lightness, precise allegro, rapid beats and high jump which make Bournonville’s choreography so difficult yet so beautiful when done correctly. He acting was natural and believable . In summary, he was a sensation!

Shale partnered Olesya Novikova who was beguiling as the Sylph, her delicacy and soft arms concealing how hard this role is. Novikova is an established First Soloist in the company with many years of experience . But the pairing looked good and reminded my friend of the Nureyev/ Fonteyn age gap which evaporated on stage when they danced together. 
Madge was danced by the incredibly charismatic Igor Kolb, who just yesterday swaggered as Tybalt in Romeo and Juliet at the Mariinsky 2. Now here he was with a crooked back, long greasy tresses and the evil magic and desire for revenge which proves the downfall of James and his fairy lover. Bravo Igor!

The ballet , set in Scotland , begins with James asleep in his chair, on the eve of his wedding,dreaming or perhaps not dreaming about an apparition of great charm. As the Sylph weaves her magic he becomes obsessed with finding her and holding her in his arms. She always evades his yearning arms as she is without substance and cannot change her nature. 
James’ fiancée Effie , danced by Tatiana Tkachenko, is very real and he does love her, is all set to marry her, and see off his rival Gurn , danced by Ivan Oskorbin. Tatiana was a delight as the characterful Effie , very much in love with James but prepared to show her exasperation and jealousy as he looses his concentration on her and chases his dream girl. 

I love this ballet ; the tartan, the men in kilts, the bizarre story and weird witches. Gurn’s mime of ‘ I saw the fairy with my own two eyes’ so exaggerated and so funny! The gorgeous ‘white’ scene in act 2 with the sylphides dancing in the woods. The Highland dancing with the little head shake .The little girl ( Anita Voroshilova ) who dances with Gurn at the pre-nuptial party. It all adds up to a wonderful night , which ended too soon.

So, back to the man of the match, the rising star who last night proved he is capable of so much. This leading role at the Mariinsky will , I’m sure, bring other opportunities for Shale Wagman and further steps up in what will without a doubt be a stellar career .

The curtain calls at the end went on and on, six or seven calls, the slow hand-clapping typical of Russian approval bringing them back to the front of curtain repeatedly. The audience already know and love Olesya Novikova but tonight they fell in love with Shale Wagman for the very first time. 
Bravo my dear Shale ! Your many friends wish you every success in your future . 

• Like 13

Loving the video clips on Shale’s IG story from audience and from the wings.

Super debut!

What next for Shale I wonder?  Surely not back to lowly corps de ballet at ENB?  Although ENB have not yet announced annual promotions I think?

• Like 2

Fabulous video clips and it makes me wish the Bolshoi had brought it this time to alternate with all those Spartacus'. It also makes me wish we could see it again with the RB. Think of all those debuts ; Hayward /Campbell, O'Sullivan/Sambe, Naghdi /Ball, not to mention Vadim. 

• Like 7

Yes, they have had it for a little while.  I saw them do it in St P in February 2015.  It is similar to Kobborg’s production but there were a few differences. I enjoyed it but not hugely.  

Thanks for the videos;  Shale really nailed that difficult footwork, and the height of his jumps is very impressive indeed. I can see why the Maryinsky asked him to guest!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, alison said:

Whose production is it, BTW?  I didn't know the Mariinsky had La Sylphide.

This production entered their repertoire in 1981.

The credits are as follows from the Mariinsky website:

Choreography by August Bournonville, revised version by Elsa-Marianne von Rosen
Set design by Vyacheslav Okunev
Costume design by Irina Press

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late with my review...still travelling. Plus busy with writing an article.  Anyway, I can only nod to everything Mandy said. The high delayed jumps in midair, as if the the air was reluctant to let him return to the floor. The excellent speedy footwork. The elegant arabesques, and beautifully controlled pirouettes. The FUN and excitement and great acting which came naturally and wasn't overacted at all. His excitement hopped across the orchestra pit. Hard work and total commitment to his art made this a wonderful evening and debut, and it's easy to remember the exact date: on July 19, 2019, at age 19. 😀❤. His dream to dance on the Mariinsky stage came true at such an early age, and I am happy and proud to have been there. Plus sharing that night with Mandy was an additional beautiful treat❤.

• Like 11

On 20/07/2019 at 10:47, alison said:

Whose production is it, BTW?  I didn't know the Mariinsky had La Sylphide.

Not only they do but they dance it often: more than 200 times in the first 16 years since the the 1981 premiere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

My review is finally up also in English, the German Ballet platform "Tanznetz" was waiting for official pictures from the Mariinsky.

https://www.tanznetz.de/blog/29422/sensational-debut

And I want to thank @Mandy Kent for proofreading!❤ couldn't edit my previous post, so sorry for quoting myself.🙄

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ToThePointe said:

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Shale for my blog, To The Pointe. He's a lovely guy and a great ambassador for classical ballet...

Link to the interview here: https://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2019/08/04/ToThePointe-Meets-Shale-Wagman 

Thank you for your super interview. You are right that Shale has a wise head on young shoulders. He is also modest and down to earth... except when he is flying through the air ! 

• Like 1

What a fascinating interview, TTP.  Thanks for sharing it here.  It is so interesting to read how totally dedicated and committed Wagman is to his art, and his focus and determination at such a young age.  I am also very heartened to see this young artist give such a heartfelt defence of classical ballet and its importance today.  

With such innate talent and such passion for his artform, I am sure he will go far.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sharon said:

Yes it was. But he didn't say where he is going. Or have I missed that? Or is it a secret??

He doesn’t seem worried, so I guess we wait.  Tantalising!

I note that the Maryinsky season only finished officially a few days ago and most companies don’t announce promotions, new joiners etc until after that. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...