RAD Membership Changes

I have just received this from the RAD. So my Grade 6 is now not valued by the RAD, my husband could be in the same membership category as I am.

From 1 September 2019 the following changes will come into effect:

1. Affiliate Member
This category will be renamed RAD Member and will be opened up to anyone with an interest in and passion for dance or the RAD.

2. Full Member
This category will be renamed RAD Member Plus. The minimum eligibility for this category will now be RAD Intermediate Foundation (Pre-Elementary). This makes it a more suitable category for those members taking vocational examinations and thinking about progressing their career in dance.

Oh dear, I do sympathise.  My institute did something similar a few years ago, and it took a considerable time to get it through to them how insulting it was to people who had qualifications :( 

They did change it back eventually, though.

• Like 1

How ridiculous.  If the RAD isn’t getting enough members, why not reduce the membership fees for those dancers who have passed their Advanced exams?  My daughter could join having passed her Advanced 2 but as a student she doesn’t feel she can afford to join.  The benefits don’t really justify the costs for her. 

• Like 3

AHA!!! I've checked the membership rates. The old Friend was 42.00, and the Affiliate was 52.00. Those who are mere members now pay 52.00. So Friends pay an extra tenner.

The Member Plus is 87.00, for any vocational award. Definitely up (at the lower end) from either 42.00 or 52.00.

• Like 1

They give one reason as people not understanding the type of membership, I quote:

"As we approach the RAD’s centenary in 2020, we have been looking at
how we might improve membership for you. The 2019 membership
satisfaction survey was a good basis for this as 1,754 members shared
their thoughts with us. Our research showed that members didn’t really
understand the meaning of ‘Affiliate’ or ‘Full’ membership, and that
these words didn’t accurately represent what it means to be a member
of the RAD.

"We want to ensure that membership is easy to understand for everyone
worldwide. After sharing and testing ideas with member representatives
– as well as current and prospective members – we have made some
changes to the RAD's global membership scheme to make the scheme more
attractive and sustainable."

I was telephoned to discuss this, and sworn to secrecy. I said that they should just change the words, and that they obviously didn't value the work of those who took the higher grades, and that if it went through I would probably leave. Obviously they think they will get more money, but if I were a "friend", I would resent being told that I had to pay an extra tenner to stay any sort of member - even if I did get the title "member". I was really chuffed three years ago when I passed my Grade 6, and became an Affiliate!

Surely the word "friend" could stay the same. "Affiliate Member" become "Member" and "Full member" become "Member Plus", without messing around with the requirements for each category. Or even have the new "Member" category for Grade 6 and above, plus Intermediate Foundation, and Intermediate, and "Member Plus" for the Advanced vocational grades - or something like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I fear in recent years that seems to be the case.  It is being run more and more like a franchise, which I why I no longer have anything to do with it.

Indeed. The only reason my dd is remaining a member is so that she can continue to use the letters ARAD.

Which in itself is a bit of a bugbear with be. Surely once qualified as an ARAD then always an ARAD.

34 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Indeed. The only reason my dd is remaining a member is so that she can continue to use the letters ARAD.

Which in itself is a bit of a bugbear with be. Surely once qualified as an ARAD then always an ARAD.

Nope, you have to keep paying subs and jump through any hoops they invent, otherwise you may not use the qualification.  It will expire.

4 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

There again, I feel your pain.  If it's a qualification by exam, it shouldn't be subsequently invalidated by not paying a subscription.  What happens if you retire?  Do you lose it entirely unless you continue to pay for a membership which you probably no longer need?  (You can tell I've been here before, can't you?)

21 minutes ago, alison said:

There again, I feel your pain.  If it's a qualification by exam, it shouldn't be subsequently invalidated by not paying a subscription.  What happens if you retire?  Do you lose it entirely unless you continue to pay for a membership which you probably no longer need?  (You can tell I've been here before, can't you?)

I suspect it's not uncommon for professional bodies to require not just a subscription but revalidation of qualifications nowadays. (With retirees paying a lower subscription.)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I suspect it's not uncommon for professional bodies to require not just a subscription but revalidation of qualifications nowadays. (With retirees paying a lower subscription.)

I believe that chartered engineers, for example, pay an annual subscription to the relevant body. I'm pretty sure that chartered accountants are also required to continue to take training courses in order to maintain their status.

Edited to add: I don't want to be dismissive of anyone's concerns about this or disappointment that this has happened seemingly without warning - I just think this model is increasingly normal.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 3

Yes, I am a Chartered Engineer, and I pay an annual subcsription, and I have to prove I have done sufficient hours of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) to keep this qualification. It's similar to my Chartered Mathematician status.

Some years ago my husband (a better engineer than I am) who was an AMIEE (Associate Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers) suddenly became a MIEE ( Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers), now a (Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology = MIET) when the grades were changed. He would need to jump through more hoops to become a Chartered  Engineer, and cannot be bothered. As a female engineer, I was bothered, so I did it - now no one can tell if I'm male or female. Signed (just to set the record straight): Eur Ing D Pechey BSc MIEEE CMath MIMA CEng MIET

• Like 4