ENB 70th Anniversary Gala

Quick question:  I bought a ticket at the Coliseum box office for the ENB gala and there is a £1.80 surcharge per ticket that I was told had been put on by ENB.  I asked the BO assistant what this charge was for - I never mind paying for it as long as I know.  He told me that they had been given no information by ENB.  I found that rather strange given that they had been authorised to take the money.  Does anyone know what it is for?  Is it for the new building?

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

That doesn’t sound correct to me - I’ve just looked on the relevant Coliseum booking page (i.e. the one with the seat map which you choose your seats from) and it actually says “No fee when booking in person at the Box Office” in the small print at the bottom.

• Like 1

That's interesting as yesterday I bought a ticket online from the Coli and I could swear I saw a statement somewhere which said purchases direct from the Box Office have no extra charge! I was thinking maybe I would buy a ticket then when next up in London.

However I saw I was entitled to this code from ENB which reduced the ticket price quite a bit ( am assuming this is for Friends of ENB ) so wasn't sure if I could only use this with an online booking so did it online in the end. 

There is normally an extra charge from the Coli....booking fee ...when doing online or phoning in ....but don't know what the ENB charge would be!! It wasn't optional was it....one of these suggested donations requests? 

Looking again - it’s rather complicated! The Coliseum production page says tickets start at £14, but when you go into the booking pages they start at £15.80  with a note that “ticket prices exclude booking fees” (between £1.50 and £2.25 per ticket) - but no such additional fee was added when I made a dummy booking.

In any case I’m not sure it’s entirely legal to add additional charges without being able to explain them - someone here might know more about this. (I generally book in person precisely to avoid booking fees.)

I’m not sure why there should be a price difference in booking online or in person anyway? If the fee is for ‘admin’ charges why is this less than in person, surely it actually costs more to have people staffing the box office all day? 

Not that I’m advocating getting rid of the box office in person as some people don’t do online and it’s always helpful to have a real person to talk to, but I wonder what advantage venues/companies have by making bookings in person cheaper?

Also by the time you’ve paid travel costs it’s cheaper to book online anyway I suppose, but booking fees have always really annoyed me and I appreciate that the ROH doesn’t have them. 

@Bruce Wall if you are really interested to know perhaps it’s worth tweeting or emailing ENB/Coli directly? I only suggest twitter as you’re more likely to get a (quicker) response. 

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Looking again - it’s rather complicated! The Coliseum production page says tickets start at £14, but when you go into the booking pages they start at £15.80  with a note that “ticket prices exclude booking fees” (between £1.50 and £2.25 per ticket) - but no such additional fee was added when I made a dummy booking.

I had the same experience when doing a real booking (I hadn't noticed that the tickets were supposed to start at £14 - I just thought the pricings were a bit unusual!). No booking fee added to the total although it did appear in my 'basket'. All a bit confusing.

My assumption is that when booking fees aren’t charged for “in person” purchases only, it’s because it’s seen as a way of getting round legislation which says that if there’s no way of not paying such additional fees then they have to be presented as integral to the price from the outset. (As seen in the long running saga with RyanAir a few years ago.)

By offering a means of buying tickets without the booking fee, they can argue that this is not a compulsory charge. I don’t know where this leaves Bruce’s £1.80 though!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...