Brexit, EU citizenship and job opportunities

Cluelessmomma

13 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Do children at non-vocational schools get paid when they do work experience?  I certainly didn't and more recently neither did my nieces.

You don’t generally get paid on placement whilst doing higher education courses either e.g. nursing/ medicine. What you should get is a mentor/ support/ feedback at a higher level than if you were a member of regular staff. 

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Peony said:

You don’t generally get paid on placement whilst doing higher education courses either e.g. nursing/ medicine. What you should get is a mentor/ support/ feedback at a higher level than if you were a member of regular staff. 

Thanks Peony.

It is correct that students on work experience or placements of less than one year are not automatically entitled to the minimum wage.  I trust that the period for which students are engaged with the company does not exceed that length of time. 

However, I disagree that already highly skilled ballet students should be deprived of a wage that they would have received in the past just because students of other subjects don't always receive one.  The dance world can do better than engaging in a race to the bottom which encourages exploitation.  We should be levelling up, not levelling down. 

The main point here, though, isn't that the students are unpaid, it's that in the scenario described above (if it is indeed the case) a service is being provided and paid for , but yet the people performing the service are apparently not receiving the money owed to them as it is being directed elsewhere. This is not the same situation as if the work was unpaid and no money changed hands. This is the point that I believe the posters above were making. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pirouette said:

It is correct that students on work experience or placements of less than one year are not automatically entitled to the minimum wage.  I trust that the period for which students are engaged with the company does not exceed that length of time. 

However, I disagree that already highly skilled ballet students should be deprived of a wage that they would have received in the past just because students of other subjects don't always receive one.  The dance world can do better than engaging in a race to the bottom which encourages exploitation.  We should be levelling up, not levelling down. 

The main point here, though, isn't that the students are unpaid, it's that in the scenario described above (if it is indeed the case) a service is being provided and paid for , but yet the people performing the service are apparently not receiving the money owed to them as it is being directed elsewhere. This is not the same situation as if the work was unpaid and no money changed hands. This is the point that I believe the posters above were making. 

Previously did ballet students get paid for performances with companies?

The students used by BRB and NB for their June seasons had just over a week of performances each plus rehearsal time so definitely not longer than a year.

2 hours ago, Pirouette said:

Not hearsay: my DS when at RBS Upper School danced for BRB in a Nutcracker season not so long ago, doing 30 shows, including the Albert Hall.  He did absolutely love the experience, and it certainly looked good on his CV at the time. He was not standing at the back holding a tray of drinks - he was one of the three Russian Trepak dancers, among other roles.  As a parent, I was disappointed to say the least that not only did he not get paid a penny (even a token amount) but there was quibbling over his train fares from London, and there was no 'thankyou' of any kind for dancing in 30 shows for free. They didn't even think to give these unpaid dancers a BRB Christmas bauble or a bunch of flowers. DS went straight into a prestigious company in Europe the month after, so he was certainly of the required standard.   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Previously did ballet students get paid for performances with companies?

The students used by BRB and NB for their June seasons had just over a week of performances each plus rehearsal time so definitely not longer than a year.

Yes, Direction_of_your_dreams said in their post above that students used to get paid when performing for the RB up until around 2015/16.  I don't know about the other companies.

also  it  can be argued that  these  dancers are there to 'provide service'   not  there for training or  practise placement ... 

the subtley of this argument may  be lost on  the readers who don;t have a health professional background though 

On 11/08/2021 at 11:18, Kate_N said:

But it did go to the students: presumably as a bursary fund to help those students from families without significant resources, to help pay for the expenses of auditions etc. 

So there's another way of looking at it: the RBS is trying to enable those less well-off to attend expensive auditions (ie travel, audition videos etc).

It's often bemoaned in this forum that children of less well-off families lose out because they can't be subbed for audition travel etc. So the RBS is trying to level the playing field a bit - isn't that a good thing?

In theory possibly.....bit who gets to decide who/what/where???? Hmmmm

• 1 month later...

Brexit: We have temporarily paused all orders to EU/EEA countries until further notice. 

I was looking at ROH’s shop on line and couldn’t help but notice the banner above.
A new season, choosing seats, full houses etc hopefully all herald a return to more familiar ways but it may well take a long time for non COVID problems to be resolved.