Tring associate classes/CBA

Happymum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shame! I have also emailed the school for feedback but haven't received a response yet. I appreciate that they are super busy. My dd was gutted when I told her . Again it was her first "no" too. However she asked immediately when could she audition again! So some feedback would help.

And can anybody tell how many groups there are in CBA? Are the youngest children 8 or 9? Does it go with school year (like RBS JA) or ballet grade or are they mixed groups? Hfbrew, do you know if some of these 16 places were for younger (8/9ish) children?

Just wanted to say well done to those with a yes and for the no's, keep your chins up, its always worth trying again as on another occasion it may be a yes as Alikat has said. I know 3 younger students who have just got places and are thrilled. I hope they get as much from it as my DD did last year :)

• Like 1

And can anybody tell how many groups there are in CBA? Are the youngest children 8 or 9? Does it go with school year (like RBS JA) or ballet grade or are they mixed groups? Hfbrew, do you know if some of these 16 places were for younger (8/9ish) children?

Yes. As I said there were 16 spaces overall available. I don't know actual ratios.

Is anyone's dc's currently attending Tring Associates on a Saturday? I realise that it is different from the CBA but I wondered what your thoughts were on the standard of ballet teaching? Is the standard of ability in the classes high? Is it useful as extra ballet training or would doing extra classes at your own dance school be pretty much the same thing.

The standard of teaching is very high. But if your dance school is good then obviously doing extra classes would be pretty much the same thing depending on what level the classes are, quality of teaching etc.

I personally as a teacher think its healthy though for a student to experience different teachiers (provided they are good) which is why I don't mind my students attending the Tring classes. But obviously the actual ability of the associate students as opposed to CBA ( for which entry is by audition) is pretty mixed as in any local ballet school.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments hfbrew. However the Tring Park Associates scheme is also by audition. Doesn't that imply a certain standard needs to be met? Rather than a mixed ability group in a local dance class where any one can join.

Sorry, it was my understanding that you didn't need to audition. But as I said, I feel that the standard of teaching is very high which is why I've been happy for my pupils to attend.

My DD does both CBA and TPA. TPA is similar to a good local school with a high level of teaching. I would say that the auditions for TPA were designed to enable the school to put your DC into the right group and when they write to you confirming the place, they list the classes they think you will benefit from. Obviously they take into account your current grade (RAD ballet and ISTD Mod / Tap) but they also offer free-work classes in Jazz, Contemporary, Ballet, singing, drama etc. You don't have to take everything they offer. Liz x

• Like 2

My DD does both CBA and TPA. TPA is similar to a good local school with a high level of teaching. I would say that the auditions for TPA were designed to enable the school to put your DC into the right group and when they write to you confirming the place, they list the classes they think you will benefit from. Obviously they take into account your current grade (RAD ballet and ISTD Mod / Tap) but they also offer free-work classes in Jazz, Contemporary, Ballet, singing, drama etc. You don't have to take everything they offer. Liz x

Yes, thats how I understood it to work too. And I agree with what you say about it being similar to good local schools that also have high levels of teaching. Afterall most schools try to fit new students in the classes that best suit them if possible. And mixed ability doesn't mean that a school isn't any good, it what the teacher does to bring out the best in ALL students that matters. For example the schools I work at have classes to suit all students be they recreational or vocational- those who are very keen are also encouraged to attend associates, summer schools etc because its iimportant that they spread their wings and get a bigger picture of the dance world.
  • Like 2