Tring associate classes/CBA

Happymum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a no for my DD as well. When she auditioned for Royal and Elmhurst she wasn't that sure but she was accepted by both schools. This time she was pleased with herself and it's a "no". I have never heard about additions if there are no places!! What for?

I was provided feedback for my daughter when I asked. She had been successful in her dance audition for a full time place at the school and I asked them to consider the feedback from that audition for a place in the CBA as we were undecided at that point as to whether she would pursue full time vocational training. They did not offer her a place on the CBA but they did take the time to explain why - probably because she had been successful in that audition for a full time place. The feedback was balanced - what she did well at and also where her weaknesses lay from a classical perspective. It was helpful and appreciated.

I managed to get some feedback from Tring when dd wasn't accepted onto the CBA. But this was a couple of years ago and it was a different person running it then. It's always worth asking!

Dd would still love a place on this but she didn't audition this time round mainly because I knew there were very, very few places this time. I think the next audition is May and hopefully there may be more places available then. I think they're hoping to expand it.

One thing I like about this scheme is that it isn't every week, it's only 6 Sundays per term. So not too heavy in terms of commitment and leaves enough time for a bit of family time!

• Like 1

If there were really no places available in a particular age group/s (and I realise that this may not be the case), I would be interested in how the school would justify taking audition fees and allowing travel expenses to be incurred. If it was made clear that there were no places available and children auditioned anyway for the experience, then that would be understandable. Or is it the case that if they really want you on the course they will make a place available for you?

Frogsmum, what was the age group in group 3 if I may ask? I didn't realise there were more than 2 groups. Group 1 (my DD's group) had children from 8 till 12 (if not older) but mainly around 9-10 I would say. Group 2 looked more like 14 ish but with some younger and older children in it. Do you know if there was group 4

as well?

• Like 1

If there were really no places available in a particular age group/s (and I realise that this may not be the case), I would be interested in how the school would justify taking audition fees and allowing travel expenses to be incurred. If it was made clear that there were no places available and children auditioned anyway for the experience, then that would be understandable. Or is it the case that if they really want you on the course they will make a place available for you?

Isn't this what the RB do every year? Anyone can apply for WL, they take your money and audition you regardless of if there are any places at any age groups.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, they will always be looking out for fresh talent and if they see someone they particularly want they will make a space. I don't think Tring is any different from any other school that requires entry by audition. Only my opinion of course, not based on facts.

Just to add, Tring do not charge an audition fee, but the will be next time round according to their website. Still half what RB charge though.

Edited by Loulabelle

Sorry Balletmum20 forgot to respond! Sorry our letter didn't mention training. I too would appreciate some feedback as it would be useful to see if it is worth auditioning again in the future. I fully understand with over 75 candidates it is easier to send out standard letters!

balletmum20, no I don't think it is....!

Re Tring holding auditions when there are only a few places - they are always looking at the current students and we are told that they can be moved groups during the year.

So - I'm thinking this:

Once they have held the auditions they then might decide how they can fit everyone in, possibly by shuffling the current students around to accommodate new people in the most suitable group if necessary.

My DD is 11. I don't think there was a fourth group. There were about 27 in her group, including a few boys and also girls ranging from about 10 to ones who looked about 15 to me! I don't know how many places were available, but my DD has been given a place in Group 1 starting in Jan. Also, not sure how long we get the place for! Hopefully I'll be able to pass on more info to you then regarding how places come up etc.

balletmum20, no I don't think it is....!

Re Tring holding auditions when there are only a few places - they are always looking at the current students and we are told that they can be moved groups during the year.

So - I'm thinking this:

Once they have held the auditions they then might decide how they can fit everyone in, possibly by shuffling the current students around to accommodate new people in the most suitable group if necessary.

Agree taxi4ballet - I expect that most, if not all, the places available are in group 6 - where there are only a handful of students at present. So assume there will be some students moving up a group after Christmas. They had many more younger children apply than older, so obviously competition is going to be fierce within the lower age groups.

Over the years my dd has auditioned for various associate classes/ youth ballets etc - she's had lots of knockbacks, which as others have already said make the yes letters so much better. When they are younger I think it's hard, as they may be the "star" in their local dance school, but soon have to realise that there are loads of other talented ballerinas out there. So if your dc's teachers think they have potential keep on trying, just go with the attitude that it's all good experience and enjoy it.

Millie

• Like 3

Hello Everyone. My dd auditioned for CBA in May this year but got a no. She auditioned again on Sunday and was thrilled to get a Yes this time. She is 11 and has been given a place in Class 3. She was also in Class 3 at the audition. Well done to the dc's that made it this time and to the dc's who got a no this time please don't despair - you are all lovely and it is really worth trying again. xx

• Like 5

Thank you for your good wishes. My dd is so excited and can't wait to start taining. I have been reading threads on Balletco for some time now and have found it very informative and it is great to see so many encouraging posts. :)

• Like 1