HowMuch!

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of canvas split soles?

The So Danca ones with the elasticated edging dig in and going up a size means baggy toes! 

Are there any drawstring ones which don't result in ‘duck feet’? She has narrow feet and quite dainty toes 😂

My DD used to get her canvas shoes from Grishko. They have a great range with lots of different widths. Only problem was it got a bit pricey once she was dancing full time and started wearing them out super fast. She swapped to Capezio after that but i cant remember the model sorry.

• Like 1

For narrow feet, after much searching for auditions etc would recommend Capezio Hanami (a size or two down from normal) and ultimately, if you can spend a bit more then MDM Intrinsic Profile are the best we've found. My dd is size 5.5/6 narrow usually and she takes 8NN in MDM sizes.  

• Like 1

Interesting that people like the Capezio Hanamis for a narrow foot.  I am quite wide at the metatarsals, but narrow in the heel and love the Hanamis because they are soft as butter and stretch where needed without being tight.  The price does hurt a bit though...

• Like 1

Hi SwanFlake yes you're right, Capezio Hanamis would not work for a narrow foot if you went for your actual size - but going down a couple of sizes works, as I think the stretch of the canvas is in all directions and so on a shoe that's then too short it stretches widthways on a narrow foot... :) 

I find the Capezio hanamis and Russian pointe vivante are good for wider feet. The Hanami suits a wider foot across the toes, the Rp suits a foot with a wide mid section.

The So danca SD16 is generally good for most foot shapes and comes in a regular width (C) and a narrower B width. The So danca SD 120 is  based on the SD16, but is a shoe with tapered toes (it has a right and a left), so is good for people with a long big toe. 

The Grishko dream stretch is also good for narrow feet - we have this in a B width in “regular” shoes and in a standard C width as a vegan shoe. 

On the subject of vegan shoes, we also stock the Tempo (non stretch- used to be called model 6) and the So Danca SD16 as a vegan shoe. We also have children’s vegan shoes in satin or canvas :) 

Hope this helps somebody! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sheila Beelam said:

I find the Capezio hanamis and Russian pointe vivante are good for wider feet. The Hanami suits a wider foot across the toes, the Rp suits a foot with a wide mid section.

The So danca SD16 is generally good for most foot shapes and comes in a regular width (C) and a narrower B width. The So danca SD 120 is  based on the SD16, but is a shoe with tapered toes (it has a right and a left), so is good for people with a long big toe. 

The Grishko dream stretch is also good for narrow feet - we have this in a B width in “regular” shoes and in a standard C width as a vegan shoe. 

On the subject of vegan shoes, we also stock the Tempo (non stretch- used to be called model 6) and the So Danca SD16 as a vegan shoe. We also have children’s vegan shoes in satin or canvas :) 

Hope this helps somebody! 

It’s the So Danca SD16 that she’s had trouble with. The elastic around the foot digs into her heel and going up a size made little difference. Perhaps it was the width fitting though, maybe the B was too narrow. I’ll get her to try loads of styles and i’m sure we’ll find the right one. 

Just a thought but in all dd’s shoes - pointe, flats and soft blocks - we sewed through the elastic drawstring about a thumb’s width either side of the heel seam.  She periodically suffered from achilles tendonitis and sewing through the drawstring stopped it tightening over the achilles and digging in.  

I know you can get ballet flats with “flat” elastic instead of drawstrings but these never seemed to fit quite as well so we went back to the So Danca split soles.  I found if I sewed through the drawstrings with soft darning thread or wool while I was darning the pointe shoe, it was comfortable for dd.  Might be worth a try if that’s the only issue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Just a thought but in all dd’s shoes - pointe, flats and soft blocks - we sewed through the elastic drawstring about a thumb’s width either side of the heel seam.  She periodically suffered from achilles tendonitis and sewing through the drawstring stopped it tightening over the achilles and digging in.  

I know you can get ballet flats with “flat” elastic instead of drawstrings but these never seemed to fit quite as well so we went back to the So Danca split soles.  I found if I sewed through the drawstrings with soft darning thread or wool while I was darning the pointe shoe, it was comfortable for dd.  Might be worth a try if that’s the only issue. 

Thank you! I’ll have a look and see if I can do anything with them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sheila Beelam said:

The So danca SD16 is generally good for most foot shapes and comes in a regular width (C) and a narrower B width.

(Looks at feet)  I think I probably come under "wider foot across the toes", then.  Thanks, Sheila - it had never occurred to me, from what I'd seen, that ballet flats came in width fittings.  I'll bear that in mind next time I'm hunting for a pair of shoes (probably in the not-too-distant future).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

Thank you! I’ll have a look and see if I can do anything with them. 

No problem. If you loosen the drawstring first, make a tiny mark a couple of cms/thumb width either side of the heel seam, then start sewing just below the drawstring, working up so you sew right through it.  When you’ve done both sides, then pop the shoe on and tighten the drawstring, it will tighten all round the shoe except at the heel.  👍

• Like 1

A little off topic, but when pointe shoe drawstrings are elasticated, sometimes they grip the cotton casing to such an extent that you can’t then slacken it off it you pull them too tight. I advise dancers to do what you say with the drawstring Anna, when sewing ribbons on. 👏🏻

• Like 1

I'm a huge advocate for shoes without drawstring. They hug the foot better and are just so incredibly comfortable. 

I'm basically married to the Bloch pro elastics, but I feel like for me, the digging at the back of the heel was cured when I went for shoes without drawstrings. 

On 22/07/2019 at 21:00, Aurora3 said:

Sheila Beelam, which size do you recommend for Groshko dream stretch? Normal street shoe size?

Depends how tight you like them...but generally I go up a size. I’m a UK 7 and the 41 is tight, but comfortable. I wear an 8 in the SO Danca SD16.

I would say 37=size 3 street shoe, 38=size 4, 39/size 5 etc