Options for Advanced Level ballet in London

siana

Hi

My daughter has now graduated from Durham , she had a great time there both socially and academically and with  her dance. She danced for a number of the DU dance teams, choreographed and danced in the Advanced Ballet team and also danced in the University Ballet Company. I would highly recommend Durham for those who want to still dance but for whatever reason don't end up  pursuing it as a career.

She is going to Imperial College in October to do her Masters so will be looking into her options for dance in London. There are dance societies at Imperial and shes aware RAD do run some external dance classes. Can anyone help with any further info or details,she is especially interested in doing her Advanced Ballet cert having passed Intermediate 3 years ago.

Thanks.

My daughter took her RAD Advanced 2 exam with the wonderful June Mitchell at RAD HQ in Battersea last summer before starting Uni.  Daughter also took the Non-Syllabus Advanced ballet and both classes were excellent with a wide range of ages.  I believe Miss Mitchell also teaches Advanced 1 class on a Saturday.  If you look on the RAD website under “Dance School” the details should be there.

Central School of Ballet runs “Central Nights” for Adult Ballet dancers too and I think these are drop-in classes. 

• Like 2

Just a thought regarding this thread, my GDD passed her Ad 2 when she was 15, but is now at VS. Could she (if she wanted to of course) take the Solo Seal exam, say maybe in 3 years time, or is there a time limit between grades? Hope this makes sense to you.

1 hour ago, Vonrothbart said:

Just a thought regarding this thread, my GDD passed her Ad 2 when she was 15, but is now at VS. Could she (if she wanted to of course) take the Solo Seal exam, say maybe in 3 years time, or is there a time limit between grades? Hope this makes sense to you.

I wouldn’t have thought a gap would be a problem, Vonrothbart - providing your GDD got a distinction at Advanced 2? Best to contact the exams dept at HQ to check. 

Cariad Ballet run by Michelle ......forget her surname ....but she is qualified teacher etc ....also does the RAD Advanced classes ....usually either in a studio in Brixton or at the Elephant and Castle depending on the day of the week. 

If its general Advanced or Professional level classes then of course Central Nights in Islington, Danceworks just off Oxford Street and Pineapple studios in Covent Garden all have some classes at this level. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RuthE said:

Hi - the page is currently rather cluttered by general summer timetable-change announcements, but if you look down at the bottom, you’ll see details of Central School of Ballet’s RAD Advanced drop-in classes.

https://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/adulteveningclassesradclasses.php

Would you say these are a good additional class, Ruth, if Siana’s dd hasn’t started the Advanced syllabus yet?  To be taken alongside regular Advanced 1 classes at RAD HQ or elsewhere? 

14 hours ago, LinMM said:

Cariad Ballet run by Michelle ......forget her surname ....but she is qualified teacher etc ....also does the RAD Advanced classes ....usually either in a studio in Brixton or at the Elephant and Castle depending on the day of the week. 

If its general Advanced or Professional level classes then of course Central Nights in Islington, Danceworks just off Oxford Street and Pineapple studios in Covent Garden all have some classes at this level. 

Just a note that the “Professional” level classes at Danceworks are *very* advanced - attended by pro dancers/graduates of Performing Arts schools looking for work or currently in work and using the classes as an additional pre-performance warmup.  My dd would not attend those.  I would suggest starting with Intermediate/Elementary level at Danceworks to start with. 

• Like 3

Adults ARE allowed to join the regular Advanced Foundation, Advanced 1 And Advanced 2 classes at RAD HQ so long as they have passed the previous level i.e. Intermediate in your case https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/classes/our-dance-school-in-london/adult-dance-classes/class-descriptions/ (so you will need to look for these under "Children's syllabus classes"!)- however the timetable for September is not up yet. Compared to most dance schools they are generally very very late at releasing it - 2 weeks before the start of term I believe! (Really annoying when you are trying to organise your schedule, as many of the possible alternatives will already be full long before then!)

Also Central do them on a Sunday https://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/radclasses.php  on a drop-in basis (the only caveat here is that they will soon be relocating to the South Bank but no date for this has yet been announced.)

The Cariad Ballet website is here:    https://www.cariadballet.com/classes

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

Would you say these are a good additional class, Ruth, if Siana’s dd hasn’t started the Advanced syllabus yet?  To be taken alongside regular Advanced 1 classes at RAD HQ or elsewhere? 

I wouldn’t know personally about the Central syllabus classes, as they only run the higher vocational grades. The only Central classes at my level are the non-RAD, non-syllabus classes listed on the main Central Nights page.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I will have a good look at all the suggestions and discuss it with my DD. There's an awful lot to do before she starts in October, finding somewhere to live, sorting out transport, moving in as well as the academic stuff .So she would like to have organised or at least know what she has to organise on the dance front sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/07/2019 at 19:44, glowlight said:

And on the non-ballet front.  I hope she has a wonderful time at Imperial.  I did my degree there many years ago and loved it.

Thanks glowlight, she is really looking forward to it. She has already signed upto the ROH student membership !

She will probably end up lodging somewhere in West Kensington/Earls Court area.

• Like 1