Royal Ballet Promotions 2019/20

8 hours ago, redshoesgirl2 said:

Cope is leaving. that was a surprise to me. wonder what his plans are now.

Jonathan Cope has been on sabbatical leave for the last 2 seasons. It is not uncommon, when people take a break from their jobs, for them to develop other interests and/or decide not to return. And it is quite usual, also, for the door to be left open in the way the RB has done with him.

11 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Add me to the list of people who are rather surprised to see Acri get promotion rather than Clarke. I realise Clarke missed out on dancing Romeo due to injury but even with that omission Clarke looks to have danced more leading roles compared to Acri.

I’m also surprised, even if it seems disrespectful to admit that. I was also surprised to see him cast as Lescaut in the Morera / Bonelli cast, as I can’t envisage that working generation-gap wise at all ...

I forgot earlier to offer congratulations to Gary Avis and Samantha Raine on their promotions to Chief Ballet Master and Chief Ballet Mistress. Really well deserved and a great idea from Kevin O'Hare as the new posts seemed to have been created for them (they are not in the current list of RB staff). Like the posts of Principal Character Artists which Kevin also created it is a great way of rewarding excellence and showing how important the roll of rehearsing, coaching and acting is to the RB productions.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I’m also surprised, even if it seems disrespectful to admit that. I was also surprised to see him cast as Lescaut in the Morera / Bonelli cast, as I can’t envisage that working generation-gap wise at all ...

Acri was a splendid Mercutio in R&J this year and a spiffing Bronze Idol. He was, of course, a student in the stunning year group of O'Sullivan and Sambe (who joined the RB a year early), Esteban Hernandez (who is now a Principal in San Francisco), Ball and numerous others (e.g. Daniele Silingardi) who are now spread around the globe.

36 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I forgot earlier to offer congratulations to Gary Avis and Samantha Raine on their promotions to Chief Ballet Master and Chief Ballet Mistress. Really well deserved and a great idea from Kevin O'Hare as the new posts seemed to have been created for them (they are not in the current list of RB staff). Like the posts of Principal Character Artists which Kevin also created it is a great way of rewarding excellence and showing how important the roll of rehearsing, coaching and acting is to the RB productions.

Agree about the new titles. That of Rehearsal Director for Christopher Saunders is another example of respect being shown where it is due. However, Principal Character Artists were around long before O'Hare's directorship, indeed he was initially reluctant to add to that particular roster but eventually did so two years ago.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Have Leticia Stock and Fernando Montano returned after their sabbaticals?

Leticia Stock returned a little while ago. She was in the later performances of Romeo & Juliet and was in the mixed programme (she was certainly in Symphony in C). She has also been on the tour. 

I wish Cope success in whatever he decides to do next, but I have to say that I find his departure a little odd. Like Cervera he had personal experience of performing a wide range of key roles in the Royal Ballet's core repertory and his move into coaching seemed to be part of a deliberate effort on management's part to create a link in the chain which would sustain the company's performance style and traditions by the appointment of coaches who had been taught roles by the dancers who had created them. Cope of course had also worked with MacMillan towards the end of his life. The arrangement seemed to be a recognition that neither Collier nor Dowell could go on forever. Cope's presence in the rehearsal room seemed to guarantee that future generations of the company's dancers would have coaches who would provide continuity of performing style and tradition and a fund of practical experience not only from the experience of dancing roles but from the experience of working with the dancers who created them.

The company has increasingly tenuous personal links with the two choreographers who created the company's repertory and its characteristic house style.Cope's presence seemed to guarantee the continued development of the company's traditions. The fact that Cervera has gone to teach at the school and Cope has stepped down as a full time coach represents the loss of an awful lot of experience in Royal Ballet specific repertory in the space of a few months.

As far as Character Principals are concerned they were certainly around in the 1960's and 70's even if not acknowledged as such. Dancers like Gerd Larsen, Leslie Edwards, David Drew and Derek Rencher were all described as Principals but were essentially character Principals.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 1

A late congratulations to all - came home last night to no phone line/broadband, no internet on the train to London, and only just catching up on messages now I’m in my hotel room.  Excellent news and looking forward to many debuts this Autumn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alison said:

Another new (to me, at least) position is "Creative Producer".  Huh?

Emma Southworth (the current postholder) was, until recently, in charge of the ROH's Baton Associates. The Creative Producer post 'emerged' around this time last year and seems to be associated mainly with the development of the RB's input in The Linbury.

• Like 1

Delighted by O'sullivan and padjak's promotions in particular. I am not surprised by Acri's promotion in that he frequently dances roles at first soloist level, and does so with considerable skill and artistry. Even if some may struggle to see him as a principal, surely that shouldn't deny him promotion to the rank he is very clearly dancing at? 

• Like 9

13 hours ago, capybara said:

Emma Southworth (the current postholder) was, until recently, in charge of the ROH's Baton Associates. The Creative Producer post 'emerged' around this time last year and seems to be associated mainly with the development of the RB's input in The Linbury.

I don’t think Southworth was “in charge” of the Baton Associates - that would be someone from the development office and Southworth is on the RB artistic team. Before becoming Creative Producer (which, as you say, is related to developing the dance side of the alternative spaces in the ROH), her job title was Studio Programme Senior Producer.

48 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I don’t think Southworth was “in charge” of the Baton Associates - that would be someone from the development office and Southworth is on the RB artistic team. Before becoming Creative Producer (which, as you say, is related to developing the dance side of the alternative spaces in the ROH), her job title was Studio Programme Senior Producer.

Apologies all round if I got this wrong.

On 13/07/2019 at 09:34, jmhopton said:

I forgot earlier to offer congratulations to Gary Avis and Samantha Raine on their promotions to Chief Ballet Master and Chief Ballet Mistress. Really well deserved and a great idea from Kevin O'Hare as the new posts seemed to have been created for them (they are not in the current list of RB staff). 

The title of Senior Ballet Mistress is new, as far as I’m aware, but Christopher Saunders was Senior Ballet Master before his promotion to Rehearsal Director. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsBBB said:

The title of Senior Ballet Mistress is knew, as far as I’m aware, but Christopher Saunders was Senior Ballet Master before his promotion to Rehearsal Director. 

I thought he used to be senior ballet master but he wasn't when I checked which made me think it must be a new post after all. I didn't see he was now rehearsal director. 

Does Christopher Carr still do any rehearsing? I used to enjoy his insight rehearsals though Christopher Saunders and Gary Avis are great too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Does Christopher Carr still do any rehearsing? I used to enjoy his insight rehearsals though Christopher Saunders and Gary Avis are great too. 

Yes, he stages The Nutcracker and various Ashton ballets. He staged La Valse for the Royal Ballet School’s summer performances just now. His rehearsals are my favourites! So much energy & nothing escapes his eagle eye. 

• Like 8

On 13/07/2019 at 00:32, capybara said:

Jonathan Cope has been on sabbatical leave for the last 2 seasons. It is not uncommon, when people take a break from their jobs, for them to develop other interests and/or decide not to return. And it is quite usual, also, for the door to be left open in the way the RB has done with him.

oh, i thought he was still teaching. i miss his dancing! thanks for the info.