Royal Ballet Promotions 2019/20

The promotions list is out! Just seen it on Facebook. I don’t know how to put it here but many people will be pleased here. Can an admin move this please?

Edited by Fiz
Wrong place!
  • Like 1

Not surprised by no promotion for Clarke, given how much of this season he has spent injured. Maybe next year he will be more fortunate (along with Corrales and Bracewell), leading to the appropriate professional reward - the company clearly has a lot of faith in him as a future star. I’m just over the moon for Romany Pajdak, though, as she’s richly deserved that for years and I really thought it would never happen.

• Like 9

Delighted for Pajdak and Gasparini; extremely well deserved.  Many congratulations to all those promoted.  I know he’s been injured but I am disappointed that Reece Clarke still hasn’t been promoted.  

• Like 6

Artists of The Royal Ballet in Swan Lake, The Royal Ballet © 2018 ROH. Photograph by Bill Cooper

Artists of The Royal Ballet in Swan Lake, The Royal Ballet © 2018 ROH. Photograph by Bill Cooper

The Royal Ballet announces promotions, leavers and joiners for the 2019/20 season

Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare today announces promotions, leavers and joiners for The Royal Ballet’s 2019/20 Season.

By Becky Black (Social Media Editor)
Friday 12 July 2019, 5.30pm

Kevin O’Hare comments, 'This is always a special moment in the Season to celebrate the extraordinary talents of our dancers at the varying stages of their careers with The Royal Ballet. My congratulations to those promoted and sincere thanks to those leaving or taking up new positions within the Company for their wonderful commitment and artistry. I am delighted to welcome our new joiners and wish them every happiness dancing with The Royal Ballet'.

As previously announcedMarcelino Sambé has been promoted to Principal. His first performance as a Principal of The Royal Ballet will be as Lescaut in Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon.

Kevin O’Hare has also made the following promotions within the Company:

Anna Rose O’Sullivan and Luca Acri have been promoted to First Soloist.

Romany PajdakIsabella GaspariniTomas Mock and David Yudes have been promoted to Soloist.

Katharina NikelskiAmelia TownsendYu HangHarris BellHarrison Lee and Taisuke Nakao from the 2018/19 Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme, and formerly graduates of The Royal Ballet School, become Artists in the new Season. Sophie Allnatt, also a graduate of The Royal Ballet School, becomes an Artist following a one-year contract with the Company this Season.

For the 2019/20 Season The Royal Ballet welcomes five dancers to the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme: Madison Bailey, Liam Boswell, Brayden Gallucci, Bomin Kim and Ginevra Zambon, all from The Royal Ballet School.

Sumina Sasaki joins as the Prix de Lausanne dancer for the 2019/20 Season.

Gary Avis becomes Senior Ballet Master and Samantha Raine Senior Ballet Mistress from the 2019/20 Season. These titles reflect the invaluable commitment and contribution made to the artistic strengths of the Company. Gary Avis will continue to perform as a Principal Character Artist with The Royal Ballet.

As previously announced, Principal dancer Nehemiah Kish retires after nine years with The Royal Ballet. He embarks on a course of postgraduate study in the arts and cultural policy at Goldsmiths, University of London, in the autumn.

Helen Crawford steps down as a First Soloist following a successful 17-year career with the Company and has been appointed Ballet Mistress from the 2019/20 Season. First Soloist Hikaru Kobayashi, Soloist Emma Maguire and First Artist Camille Bracher all leave after contributing many valued years across the broad range of the Company’s repertory. The Royal Ballet wishes them well with for the future.

Lania Atkins leaves the Aud Jebsen Young Dancer Programme to join the National Norwegian Ballet. Prix de Lausanne dancer Davide Loricchio leaves to take up a position with the Mikhailovsky Ballet.

Ballet Master and former First Soloist Ricardo Cervera leaves The Royal Ballet to join the teaching staff of The Royal Ballet School. O’Hare comments: 'Since transferring to the ballet staff, Ricardo has been an invaluable member of the team and we will be sad to see him go. With his many years’ experience at the Company, deep knowledge of our repertory and keen eye for detail, he is sure to inspire the emerging talent of the future. The move to his former place of study continues to strengthen the links between Company and School.'

Former Principal Jonathan Cope steps down as a full-time Répétiteur. O’Hare comments: 'Following his extraordinary career as a Principal dancer with The Royal Ballet – one of the finest male dancers of recent times – Jonathan has made a vital contribution to the recent successes of the Company, helping to nurture the artistry of a new generation of dancers. We hope that he will continue to enrich our Principal coaching from time to time.'

Carlos Acosta leaves his position as Principal Guest Répétiteur as he takes up his new post as Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet. O’Hare said, 'With his inimitable passion for dance, Carlos will be an inspirational figure for the city of Birmingham and for the members of BRB and we look forward to maintaining a close relationship

Just now, alison said:

Oops, Springbourne, has something gone missing from the bottom of the press release?  If you can post it in another post, I'll edit it.

Thanks Alison - I think it’s only missing the last few letters of ‘relationship’ at the end of the press release.  This was posted on the ROH’s Facebook page.

• Like 1

Especially pleased about Gasparini, O'Sullivan and Padjek but disappointed about no promotion for either Joseph Sissons or Francisco Serrano, especially as Joseph has been recently nominated for the Breakthrough award from SkyArts. 

• Like 2

I'm pleased to see Madison Bailey is one of the dancers joining from the RBS. I thought she was excellent in the title role of The Cunning Little Vixen.

Add me to the list of people who are rather surprised to see Acri get promotion rather than Clarke. I realise Clarke missed out on dancing Romeo due to injury but even with that omission Clarke looks to have danced more leading roles compared to Acri.

• Like 7

Congrats to all dancers! 

As others have said, very pleased for O'Sullivan and Pajdak, as well as Yudes. (And Sambe though his promotion was announced earlier.) 

Agree it's a bit of a shame for Reece Clarke but hopefully he has better luck next year with no injuries and can make the jump, as already mentioned O'Hare seems quite good at giving opportunity to those who he thinks will succeed (see also O'Sullivan's casting choices next year!) so I have faith that he knows what he's doing and will promote Clarke (and Corrales/Bracewell etc) when it's the right time. 

Glad to see Crawford is staying on as Ballet Mistress and Avis is becoming Senior Ballet Master (as well as still ensuring he has presence on the stage!). 

As an aside, it seems the new ROH website design has finally invaded the News pages/section, and this seems to come with the addition that you can no longer comment on news stories, which I feel is a bit of a loss not only to ROH who can find out what audience members think without surveys or trawling through twitter/social media, but also for audience members themselves who like engaging with others' thoughts etc, very much as we do on this forum. Particularly with a news item like this many would have offered congratulations to dancers in the comments, and now this public forum has been lost. 

• Like 5

It seems a number of people are surprised that 1) Luca Acri has been promoted, and 2) that Reece Clarke hasn’t.

I’m not so surprised and I wonder if it’s partly to do with their ages? I don’t know how old Luca Acri is but he seems to have been stuck at Soloist rank for a number of years now. He always, to my mind, puts in an excellent performance in whatever he does, and whilst I didn’t predict his promotion this time, I’m delighted for him and think it is thoroughly deserved.

Clarke has been unfortunate with his injury this year which has meant he hasn’t really had the opportunity to prove himself this season that he probably needed to justify his promotion. He is still pretty young and possibly Kevin O’Hare feels that there is plenty of time to allow him to develop and move up the ranks. I have no doubt whatsoever that we will see him as a Principal at some stage!

• Like 7

Congratulations of course to the deserving - most especially the ever illustrious O'Sullivan  ... but NO promotion for SISSENS .... Can they be serious???? ... Surely this may have been some administrative error in the release.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, redshoesgirl2 said:

Cope is leaving. that was a surprise to me. wonder what his plans are now.

I did wonder: I believe he'd been taking a sabbatical this year?  Anyway, the implication is that he will still be repetiteur-ing, but only from time to time.