Getting the last train north

My daughter would like to see Manon for her 16th birthday which is on the 3 October. She happens to have a school teacher training day on her birthday so I was thinking of either leaving work early and whisking her straight to London after school (we live in York) for the opening performance on the 2nd to see Lamb and Vadim and staying over or day tripping down on her actual birthday for Cuthbertson and Ball. She would adore either cast. If we day trip then the last train back is at 11. Do any experienced ROH goers get this train and how tight is it time wise getting from CV to KC at that time? Thanks! 

I have to get back to Cambridge after theatregoing so I'm pretty experienced at the ROH to Kings Cross post-performance dash. The absolute fastest I've done it in is about 15 minutes but that was under favourable conditions (aisle seat, midweek night so no queue to get into tube station, tube came immediately), running was involved & I was on my own, which I find faster than trying to do it with someone else. I'd say 20-25 minutes is a more realistic timeframe. Assuming the 2h50 running time currently on the ROH website for Manon ends up being reasonably accurate then you should have a comfortable amount of time to get a train at 11pm. For the sake of your stress levels getting seats reasonably near an aisle & an exit might be a good idea. I know I find it very stressful when I'm desparate to get out to rush for a train & have to wait while people who evidently have all the time in the world decide to stand up slowly, put their coats on slowly, gradually shuffle aislewards, etc.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

You *ought* to be all right - after all, it is only what, 4 stops on the tube?  However, it has to be said that service on the Piccadilly line has been somewhat erratic for months, and there could be a longish wait.  I would normally expect Manon to finish around 20 past 10.

It should also be pointed out that chuck-out time for The Lion King is similar, so there may be a bit of a traffic jam around that time.  (How long would it take to walk to Holborn tube station, if necessary?)

I had the same problem earlier this year after an opera performance (hello, fellow York resident!) Rather than risk having the show ruined by worrying about the risk of being stranded in London I decided to spend the night at one of the many budget hotels near King's Cross.

10 hours ago, alison said:

You *ought* to be all right - after all, it is only what, 4 stops on the tube?  However, it has to be said that service on the Piccadilly line has been somewhat erratic for months, and there could be a longish wait.  I would normally expect Manon to finish around 20 past 10.

It should also be pointed out that chuck-out time for The Lion King is similar, so there may be a bit of a traffic jam around that time.  (How long would it take to walk to Holborn tube station, if necessary?)

With crowds around I would allow 15 minutes.  

I think the stress of worrying about getting the train home could ruin the performance for you.  When we used to have a late night train to Liverpool I sometimes used to come to London for the evening and had a couple of near misses which didn't do my stress levels any good at all!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alison said:

3 stops. It's about 6-7 minutes of actual tube. It's when you have to wait 10 minutes for a tube to actually turn up that things can get tight!

I'd say 5 minutes' walk to Holborn but I am a fast walker. I'd've thought a maximum of 10 minutes even for very slow walkers.

Thanks so much everyone. It's definitely doable to day trip, but maybe not for a sixteenth birthday trip and school/work the next day. We'll have to experiment on a weekend... Lamb and Vadim it is. Now I just have to decide where to book tickets. We usually stand at the top of the amphitheatre but that seems a little unfair for a birthday present!

1 minute ago, Yrosered said:

Now I just have to decide where to book tickets. We usually stand at the top of the amphitheatre but that seems a little unfair for a birthday present!

If there’s a pair still available when General booking opens, Amphi sides rows A to E for £18 at the Lamb/Muntagirov Sat mat is a good buy.

• Like 1