Who to see in RB Manon?

Budgetary constraints mean I can only afford to see one performance of Manon at the ROH this Autumn and I’m struggling to decide which cast to book for, so I’m hoping you lovely experienced Manon viewers can help. 

I’ve seen (and loved) both Cuthbertson and Lamb as Manon at the ROH and the wonderful Nuñez/Bonelli live stream (should have been released on DVD but that’s another story) and I have two DVDs (Rojo and Lamb) so I’d like to see a different pairing this time. 

I’m torn between the following (providing I can get suitable seats on General booking day 😳):

Hayward/Campbell - based on rave reviews of Hayward in the title role

Nuñez/Bolle - two of my favourite dancers

Morera/Bonelli - adored their partnership in Mayerling 

Thoughts please? All opinions and reasoning welcome.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not an experienced Manon watcher by this Forum’s standards, but I’ve signed up for Nunez/Bolle, on the grounds that I don’t think we can count on having many (or possibly any) more opportunities to see Bolle in London in a major role.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Takada was great with Campbell last time; I am hoping the same will be the case with McRae. 

I’m very sorry to say that McRae doesn’t really float my boat in the MacMillan big three although he’s fabulous in other ballets.  🙁 So I’d discounted him from my Manon shortlist. 

• Like 2

Would it be alright if this thread was expanded to cover the other autumn booking ballets as well? Given Manon's (relatively) low prices I am planning to try to get tickets for multiple casts for that but Sleeping Beauty and to a lesser extent Coppelia are so expensive that I think I'm going to have to limit myself to one or at most two viewings of them so would be interested in cast advice for them.

• Like 1

I would definitely go for Morera/Bonelli.  They are a great partnership, she is one of the best Manons I have ever seen (she is such a great actress, and always excels in MacMillan;  I will always be very miffed that she never danced Juliet), and this might be our last chance to see them.  

I don’t find that Nunez has the edge to carry off MacMillan like Cuthbertson, Morera, Hayward and Lamb do.  

Hayward is also a wonderful Manon, but as has been pointed out hopefully there will be many more chances to see her excel in the role.  

So that’s my two cents’ worth!

• Like 7

There are a number of interesting Manons but they are generally not with a Des Grieux I find appealing. Morera/Bonelli is an exception and their short partnership has produced some of the most memorable performances of the last few years. I guess we aren’t  likely to see them together for much longer. 

But I would also consider Cuthbertson/Ball. He is interesting, often surprising: his Mayerling debut was brilliant and the partnership w Cuthbertson worked superbly in Marguerite & Armand. 

• Like 5

Morera/Bonelli were really good in the one performance they did - but that was a considerable number of years ago now.  I think I'd probably try for them for rarity value.  Otherwise, Hayward.

Dawnstar: I'd start another thread for that one, otherwise it will get really confusing.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, this is really interesting.  ☺️ I’ve narrowed it down to Morera/Bonelli and Nuñez/Bolle so we’re getting there! 

I adore Bolle but I haven’t seen him partnered with Nuñez (who I hope to see in Onegin).  Has anyone seen these two together? 

Annamk, thank you - the only reason I decided against Cuthbertson and Ball this time is that I saw their Romeo and Juliet together and hope to see Ball with Naghdi in Beauty so I like to “share the love”, if that makes sense! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I’m very sorry to say that McRae doesn’t really float my boat in the MacMillan big three although he’s fabulous in other ballets.  🙁 So I’d discounted him from my Manon shortlist. 

I thought his Mayerling was good with Takada as Mary, so have pinned my hopes on that.

Do you recall which ladies  have been  Manon when he has danced Des Grieux before? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Do you recall which ladies  have been  Manon when he has danced Des Grieux before? 

The only one I know for sure is Leanne Benjamin - in 2011, I think.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

I’m torn between the following (providing I can get suitable seats on General booking day 😳

Thank you! 

I'm very biased so you can guess which cast I am going to see Anna!

Francesca Hayward was exceptional in the role (IMHO).

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I wonder whether this review from the last RB run comparing Hayward, Osipova and Nuñez might help: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/apr/15/manon-royal-ballet-hayward-osipova-nunez-observer-review

Very interesting, thank you Lizbie!  Confirms my thoughts about Nuñez being much more suited to Manon than to Juliet.  

@Jan McNulty I had a feeling you’d go for Hayward and Campbell! I don’t blame you! ☺️   I am certain that Hayward will still be wowing audiences next time Manon comes around, whereas Bolle and Bonelli almost certainly won’t, more’s the pity! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Beryl H said:

The prices for Manon are fairly reasonable, so I've booked for Osipova/Hallberg, Takada/McRae, and Nunez/Bolle

Beryl, thank you: you seem to be the only person to suggest Osipova worth watching. There is something of an unbalanced impression so far - Osipova is a truly miraculous dance actress - so I would like to add my vote. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Beryl, thank you: you seem to be the only person to suggest Osipova worth watching. There is something of an unbalanced impression so far - Osipova is a truly miraculous dance actress - so I would like to add my vote. 

It's Hallberg - who I liked a lot in Month in the Country - I worry about. I've said it elsewhere, but based solely on the R&J pdd at the Fonteyn Gala, I doubt his ability to carry off some of the more extravagant partnering and lifts in Manon. But I could be proven wrong!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, alison said:

Dawnstar: I'd start another thread for that one, otherwise it will get really confusing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was going to but then succumbed to temptation & got a Friends membership followed by spending not even a small but a large fortune on tickets this evening so I had to make my own mind up!

I gave up trying to decide between Manons & have just booked for Lamb/Muntagirov, Nunez/Bolle, Hayward/Campbell & Morera/Bonelli. That's in date order rather than order of preference. If I'd had to go for one it would probably have been Hayward/Campbell because I was so blown away by her Juliet.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Anna C said:

Thank you! 

Morera and Bonelli - they might not do it next time round. and they are STUNNING!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Anna C said:

The only one I know for sure is Leanne Benjamin - in 2011, I think.  

Yes, but that was an unscheduled cast, caused by injury to Ed Watson.  I'm having a total blank about his partners in Manon - Marquez?  Was he injured for the last run?

I've booked for Morera/Bonelli as they are both exceptional dramatically, and I have missed seeing Bonelli SO much this past season.

My 2nd - impulse buy - is the Nunez/ Bolle show. It's been a while since I've seen Bolle live. I don't like M&A so I didn't go down to London to see him when he was last here. I decided to watch it at the cinema. As I'm sure most of you know Bolle recently gave his farewell performance in Manon at ABT. I know nothing has been announced if this is his last performance with RB - but you never know???

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I’m not an experienced Manon watcher by this Forum’s standards, but I’ve signed up for Nunez/Bolle, on the grounds that I don’t think we can count on having many (or possibly any) more opportunities to see Bolle in London in a major role.

Given Roberto’s last performance with ABT recently (also in Manon) that was my thinking too

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, but that was an unscheduled cast, caused by injury to Ed Watson.  I'm having a total blank about his partners in Manon - Marquez?  Was he injured for the last run?

Yes, he was injured in 2018 and replaced by (?) Alexander Campbell.

12 hours ago, Geoff said:

To be fair Geoff, I think the “unbalanced impression” is only because I hadn’t included Osipova in my personal shortlist - she is a marvellous dance actress and would be one of my first picks for Giselle and Tatiana in Onegin but I was already struggling to decide between three Manons without adding a fourth! ☺️

• Like 5

Well I was going for Hayward and Campbell .....and Corrales is in that cast too as first choice. 

However then I heard  Bolle ...an enticing prospect was performing  so may have to go twice!! Which I don't usually do with Manon ...usually once is enough!

If I could only go once maybe I would choose Bolle though .....and I've never seen Nunez in the role either so it's a very difficult choice in fact ......but it's true Hayward will hopefully be around still in the next two years. 

• Like 2

I can't find when general public booking opens for Manon anywhere on the website does anyone know? The usual box where it says not on sale used to give you the dates of booking but now just goes into the storyline of the ballet.

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I can't find when general public booking opens for Manon anywhere on the website does anyone know? The usual box where it says not on sale used to give you the dates of booking but now just goes into the storyline of the ballet.

I believe the on sale date is 7th August for general booking.

Thanks all for very insightful comments. I started out wanting to see Hayward (and still very much do want to, but firstly I can't make any of her dates and secondly as others have pointed out she will dance the role in the future so with limited budget...) and then moved to Lamb as I haven't seen her in a full length before and of course Muntagirov is always top form.

But after reading this thread I've decided to book for Morera/Bonelli (I was already lined up to see her in Coppelia but have decided to swap her in for Manon instead as seeing Bonelli sold it for me. I then deliberated between Lamb/Nunez and decided to go for Nunez in the end due to the combination of Bolle, and Sambe/Naghdi as 'supporting' cast selling it for me. As with Hayward, I'm sure I'll get to see Lamb in the role in future too. 

But in short I've ended up deciding to book for completely different combinations than initially planned, and also increasing from only one performance to two! This is both the beauty and financial downside to being a follower of this forum I suppose! Now just to wait for general booking to open...and fingers crossed good seats are left!! 

• Like 5

Thanks JNC I'm sure the date has been mentioned on the Forum somewhere as well but don't know why I can't find it on the ROH website.

Thats a difficult booking date for me online at least as am in London all that week and won't have easy wifi access and don't like using my card online to pay if am in a Neros or Prets!! 

However I will be close to the ROH itself every day that week so may have to go in to book in person so have to hope too that there are some seats left by then! Am after Oct 9th and Oct 29th or 19 th matinee at the moment.