Bras for under leotards

Lemongirl

Can anyone recommend a bra that doesn't show under a leotard?  My 12 year old dd is very self-conscious and needs a bra to wear under her black leotard.  The leotard has quite thick straps but her bra straps show at the back and also the leotard is quite low cut meaning a bit of the bra cup shows at the front.

Any recommendations please?

A quick google search suggests that Bloch may have stopped making their Luelle bra with flesh/clear straps but it looks as if Capezio have some that are similar.   Basically, an unpadded nude bra that has clear straps or flesh straps and either a low back or a clear back that isn’t too visible under a leotard.

DD has worn a nude leotard to every class since she was about 12 (now 15). I originally got her a couple to wear under tutus and costumes but then found she was wearing them under her leos too.They have clear straps and are low-cut at the back. I think it's more about nipples than support though as she is pretty slender! She also figures it's an extra layer protecting against leaks during her period as they aren't supposed to wear undies.

The only time the no underwear rule was enforced at my dds’ old school was when they had exams. How older girls felt about this I don’t know. I do know that they were also encouraged to use tampons when necessary because pads are horrible if you are dancing. 

Some of the Plume (adults size though XS is about right for an 11/12yr old) leotards have a built in bra shelf type thing if that helps? My 13yr old wears them - they don't have a strict uniform at our school so often she just has a top over leotard without a bra or standard bra underneath but nearing exam times we've found leotards with built in band and extra lining makes her feel more comfortable and not so exposed. 

Completely agree about not pressuring students to opt for tampons.

My daughter has just discovered the delights of high-waisted underwear. 😆 They come up to where both the top of the tights and the ballet belt sits so nobody realises she's wearing them (not yet, anyway). She'll likely do this for her exam too. The time will come for other options. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fiz said:

The only time the no underwear rule was enforced at my dds’ old school was when they had exams. How older girls felt about this I don’t know. I do know that they were also encouraged to use tampons when necessary because pads are horrible if you are dancing. 

My 10yo DD has just had her SRE. She was utterly panicked at options of tampons vs. pads when dancing. I told her we'll cross the bridge when we get to it. Anyone else any thoughts about pads when dancing?

DD is allowed to wear knickers under her leotards, and tends to wear high cut nude ones. She has some very small tight pairs that she wears with pads.  Sonetimes she wears a nude leo over her pants and under class leo as well. She tried a tampon and felt very uncomfortable.  Going off topic a bit, but lilets do a teen range that are smaller and less bulky. ( they also sell a little 'kit' in a bag with a selection of products in, that DDs can keep ready for when they start ) X

Edited by Pixiewoo
  • Like 1

A few of my JA students have had knickers from Victorias Secrets as well as crop tops, apparently they run very very very small. 

For our most recent show I did try and search for bras as a few of my senior girls said they were struggling to find the exact perfect bra/bodysuit to make their white tutus less see through, Selfridges had a really interesting thong back backless bodysuit with proper cups (think it was about £35, and was designed for cut away dresses, which made it perfect for dancewear too in my opinion). The girls (and I suspect their parents purses) were delighted when they found a clear back, clear strapped proper bra in Primark. It’s been a while since I ventured into Primark but they used to do a low back converter thing which may resolve the back issue? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, junedancer said:

Dd uses both the Silky and the Katz ones for exams and shows - she’s never had any complaints, so I assume they’re fine! She’s too small for adult sizes, so she has the kids ones. She does find they aren’t that comfy under normal clothes, which is a bit of a pain in terms of having to change right before class.

Edited by Confuddled

Re the links to the knickers on Amazon. They ones I purchased are super thin almost nylon tights type of fabric but high cut so they don't show. I don't recall which version they were - silky maybe, but I suspect they are all pretty similar anyway. They work well as they can be washed more easily than a leotard that is only worn once a week and are more hygienic etc, but also they don't show, so best of both worlds.  

I know I'm a newbie with no posts behind my belt and a crappy avatar and a post that doesn't quite belong here. But I'm desperate looking for an outfit for my Annie (7). She's really
slim and is really anxious. It's her first competition, so I want to boost her spirits any way I can. I'm thinking about custom tailoring (on a budget though). Has anybody ever ordered such a thing online? Found this one: https://rg-leotard.com/artistic_gymnastics/artistic_leotards. They say they're all custom made, but I'd like to hear some customer reviews. Tried looking for an outfit locally, but we recently moved so I'm not quite acclimatized to Houston yet. Sorry again.

High cut knickers for young girls are very difficult to find, unless things have changed from DD being 6 or 7 and wanting to wear knickers but having been trained by me to consider the prospect of their showing under leotards with horror 😉 We resorted to customising plain white knickers in a size bigger than she needed by cutting the legs as high as possible and then binding the cut edges whilst reducing the waistline. They looked quite odd! but were perfect and invisible under leotards. 

the silky dance pants are fab, my daughters got them to wear under their tutus for festivals and then started wearing them under their leotards for class. their teachers never say no knickers but these do fit so much more neatly and never stick out. under £3 including delivery off the internet isn't too pricey either.

On 10/07/2019 at 20:07, funnybunny said:
I know I'm a newbie with no posts behind my belt and a crappy avatar and a post that doesn't quite belong here. But I'm desperate looking for an outfit for my Annie (7). She's really
slim and is really anxious. It's her first competition, so I want to boost her spirits any way I can. I'm thinking about custom tailoring (on a budget though). Has anybody ever ordered such a thing online? Found this one: https://rg-leotard.com/artistic_gymnastics/artistic_leotards. They say they're all custom made, but I'd like to hear some customer reviews. Tried looking for an outfit locally, but we recently moved so I'm not quite acclimatized to Houston yet. Sorry again.

Hi @funnybunny this is a UK site so forum members may not have much knowledge on US products. This forum may be more useful

https://dancers.invisionzone.com

Good luck!

• Like 1