Which Museums/Places of Interest do you like?

Jan McNulty

I think travelling ballet-watchers and parents waiting for dcs sometimes have some time to look around.

I've been very lucky over the years to be able to travel to loads of different places and these are my top 3 favourite museums:

• The British Museum
  • The Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek in Copenhagen
  • The Roman Museum in Cologne

Other places I enjoy visiting when time permits on my ballet-watching travels are:

• The Winter Gardens in Sunderland - I always get a sense of peace when visiting there. The museum is good too.
  • Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery - got some excellent pre-Raphs and a nice tea room. I loved the touring Da Vinci drawings exhibition when I saw it there earlier this year.
  • The Millenium Gardens and museum in Sheffield
  • Norwich full stop!

Where does anyone else like spending time?

• Like 3

We're National Trust members, so wherever we go we try to seek out NT properties. I like feling like I'm getting something for free even though I'm not really!We've been to some lovely places over the years. My all time favourite NT property is Cragside in Northumberland which really does have something for the whole family to enjoy, and the most beautiful grounds.

Other than NT venues, I don't think I could ever get bored of the National Railway museum in York and I love visiting lighthouses.

• Like 2

Janet you took me back. During school holidays I would have a few days in Birmingham. Sometimes I got up early and went in with my dad who worked there, sometimes caught the train. I would always go to the Art Museum. wonder around, have lunch, then shopping and then cadge a lift back with dad. Happy days.

Is anyone esle going to the V&A to see the Hollywood Collection? Trip planned with non-dd soon, really looking forward to it.

I love National Trust etc and used to live near to Waddesden Manor. If you have a lot of time to kill at Tring then you could squeeze a visit in here, so worth it. Berkhamstead also close to Tring and worth a vist. Lovely little town with ruins of a castle. I have a thing for castles as well but find getting up the towers a bit of a struggle these days!

We only have Freeview at home but I have put Dan Snow's Battle Castles book on my Christmas list.

I got interested in castles when, on a fabulous trip to Jordan and Syria in 1985, we went to Krak de Chevaliers. It was soooooooooooooooo atmospheric and sparked off an interest in the Crusades. Since then I've been to Malta, Israel and Rhodes to see a number of sites connected to the Knights of St John.

Conwy Casle in North Wales is fantastic too. The town is beautiful and well deserves its World Heritage tag. Similarly the ruins of Knaresborough Castle and the town.

• Like 1

When I'm feeling well and mobile enough, I like the British Museum, strolling through Covent Garden and looking in the ROH shop, or browsing in Harrods (usually ending up looking at the puppies in the pet department).

When money eases a little, I'll be heading straight for the London Transport museum. I can't manage the Science Museum now but given the choice I'd have spent days in there. :-)

Love visiting NT properties and when dd was dancing at Birmingham in the summer we toured the back-to-backs; they were fabulous.

I visit as many art galleries and museums as I can. The Black Country Museum and Ironbridge Gorge are two places that I never tire of. There are several museums in the gorge and, of course, the bridge itself. When I'm in town, I always have coffee at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.

My favourite museum is the V and A, I like looking at costumes most, have booked the Hollywood exhibition and really looking forward to the David Bowie next year! Also like the British Museum, Natural History Museum and Tate Modern.

My favourite walking places in London are around Kensington Gardens, and anywhere on the South Bank from Tower Bridge to the National Theatre, never get bored with this area.

• Like 1

The Museum of London is my very favourite and it is good for kids as it has inter-active things for them. I love the British Museum and the V and A, The Jorvik Centre in York. The Canterbury Tales Experience in Canterbury, several other museums in York, Verulamium Museum and the St Albans Museum are good. I also love churches and cathedrals. Canterbury is my favourite, then York, Exeter, Lincoln, Peterborough, St Albans, Gloucester ...I shall stop now!

We've got 2 amazing cathedrals in Liverpool, very different in style. I love Durham Cathedral, Wells Cathedral and Norwich Cathedral too. I should put in "Room 101" that I can't stand cathedrals with turnstyles so I will no longer, for example, go into York Minster.

I love going to the Wildfowl and Wetland Trust at Martinmere near Ormskirk. I used to take my nieces every week when they were younger - there's a terrific adventure playground. I find it very soothing to wander round the show ponds and spend some time in the hides - especially in the winter when the migratory swans are there in force. I once went ot the WWF at Washington (on a ballet-watching trip to Sunderland) on a wet day and didn't see a single duck. I did however see a lot of bedraggled pheasants sitting on the pathways!

I live in suburbia but we have got the Rimrose Valley Country Park leading up to the Leeds/Liverpool canal at the bottom of our road and, of course, the beach is about 10 minutes walk at its closest. It's a 5-10 minute drive to the beach carpark by Hall Road Coastguard station, which is our favoured spot for taking Chunkydog walks. Antony Gormley's Another Place installation stretches from our nearest beach access point to Hall Road (about 2.5 miles in total). We are so lucky to live here.

I really enjoy museums that are family homes "preserved in aspic" i.e. are kept decorated and furnished as they were when the owners lived there. Two which stand out in my memory are Castle Drogo in Cornwall amd The Frick Collection in New York, the latter more remarkable for a glimpse into a past luxurious lifestyle than for its impressive art collection. There's also one in Dunedin, New Zealand but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

• Like 1

We've got 2 amazing cathedrals in Liverpool, very different in style. I love Durham Cathedral, Wells Cathedral and Norwich Cathedral too. I should put in "Room 101" that I can't stand cathedrals with turnstyles so I will no longer, for example, go into York Minster.

I love going to the Wildfowl and Wetland Trust at Martinmere near Ormskirk. I used to take my nieces every week when they were younger - there's a terrific adventure playground. I find it very soothing to wander round the show ponds and spend some time in the hides - especially in the winter when the migratory swans are there in force. I once went ot the WWF at Washington (on a ballet-watching trip to Sunderland) on a wet day and didn't see a single duck. I did however see a lot of bedraggled pheasants sitting on the pathways!

I live in suburbia but we have got the Rimrose Valley Country Park leading up to the Leeds/Liverpool canal at the bottom of our road and, of course, the beach is about 10 minutes walk at its closest. It's a 5-10 minute drive to the beach carpark by Hall Road Coastguard station, which is our favoured spot for taking Chunkydog walks. Antony Gormley's Another Place installation stretches from our nearest beach access point to Hall Road (about 2.5 miles in total). We are so lucky to live here.

Any time you want to see pheasants, bedraggled or otherwise, you can come to my house Janet. We get overrun with the wretched things in the summer. Negotiating our lane without squashing them takes some doing at times!

I'm also looking forward to the Hollywood costume at the V & A. I love costumes. I'm probably a bit sad but I love Longleat we've had many happy visits there. We're also fans of Harrods love the food halls and Christmas in August. Hopefully once DS has finished school we'll be able to afford to discover more of the places already mentioned.

• Like 1

Actually, I don't know how I forgot there are 2 cathedrals in Norwich - for which apologies. We used to stay in a hotel right by the RC cathedral and I was always taking pictures of it from the pedestrian walkway. It is well worth a visit. The other cathedral is very beautiful and the environs are a delight.

On my to do list when we moved down here was Battle Abbey (done), Bodiam Castle (done) and Canterbury Cathedral yet to be done. I enjoy cathedrals but have not visited quite as many as others but have done Exeter a lot as my grandparents lived close, Lincoln, Truro, Notre Dame was not an enjoyable experience but I was lucky enough to visit York Minster before the fire. Quite keen on churchs too. There is an amazing church on the beach at Camaret sur Mer and a lovely church in La Rochelle. Kenilworth, Warwick, Goodrich and Corfe Castles were great favourites as a child

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When ds was at White Lodge we spent many happy early Sunday mornings at London Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre in Barnes. Quite a few ballet steps were demonstrated to the geese...

Tring reservoirs is also a good place to go, and its free to visitors. The cafe there make great hot chocolate!

• Like 1

We went to the Hollywood Costume exhibition yesterday and it is absolutely stunning. DS loved seeing Audrey Hepburn's Breakfast at Tiffany's dress. Already planning a return visit with DD.

I'm looking forward to seeing it mid November, do you remember if Marilyn Monroe's dress from Seven Year Itch is there?