Sign in to follow this  
Lizbie1

Ballet Icons Gala 2020

Posted (edited)

Just seen this on the Coliseum website: much earlier - 26 January - next year and no longer features the word “Russian” in the title (did it this year?), though it still namechecks the Bolshoi and Mariinsky.

https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/ballet-icons-gala-2020/

Edited to add: bottom price tickets are now apparently £40 - up from £25!

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for the heads up - have to say this years gala was a flop compared to Ivan Putrovs excellent gala the following week.  I wonder if her will be returning as well? I shall think very carefully about this one as it does clash with a rather good back to back in Vienna of Onegin and Jewels!

I thought the bottom price had gone up to £40 a few years ago - coincided with when I stopped going?

Mine was certainly £25 this year. The page says prices from £25 but when you go into the booking the customary cheap seats in the balcony are showing as £40, with the more expensive seats showing as “not available at this price” or something of the kind. All a bit odd, so there may be a glitch and the cheap seats could possibly revert to £25.

Posted (edited)

General booking opens tomorrow Thurs 4th July .

Friends ( ENO supporters) booking is open now.

Edited by Mandy Kent

On 03/07/2019 at 12:37, Lizbie1 said:

Mine was certainly £25 this year. The page says prices from £25 but when you go into the booking the customary cheap seats in the balcony are showing as £40, with the more expensive seats showing as “not available at this price” or something of the kind. All a bit odd, so there may be a glitch and the cheap seats could possibly revert to £25.

I’ve just looked again and the Balcony seats previously showing at £40 are now showing at £25, with the “better” balcony seats at £40. 

• Like 3

A list of names has suddenly appeared for the 2020 programme in January.  Sounds good - as usual - should all of them show up.  Due to lack of time will just do last names:

Ball (RB), Alexandrova (Bolshoi), Cirio (ENB), Coviello (La Scala), Bernal (National Ballet of Spain), M. Golding, Hayward (RB), Heymann (POB) - [that made me smile], Khaniukova (ENB), Kim, (Mariinsky), Kittelberger (Stuttgart), Kochetkova (ex-ABT/SFB), Konovalova (Vienna), Krysanova (Bolshoi), Lacarra, Limenko (Stanislavsky), Lantratov (Bolshoi), Makhateli (DNB), Novikova (Mariinsky) - [an even bigger smile from me], Osipova (RB/Bolshoi), Ovcharenko (Bolshoi), Pagliero (POB), Parish (Mariinsky), Picone (San Carlo), Reveillon (Mariinsky), Salenko (Berlin), Shesterikov (DNB), Simkin (Berlin/ABT), Tereshkina (Mariinsky), Valerio (La Scala), Walter (Berlin), J. MacKay (Mikhailovsky) ... Plus it says there will be others ...

Of course you can't be sure until they show on the night :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Dancers from ENB are Katja Kaniukova and Jeffrey Cirio who both gave terrific performances of Medora and Conrad last night in Le Corsaire in Milton Keynes.

Both are, of course, nominated for National Dance Awards, along with Marcelino Sambe.

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/uk-regional/article/BALLET-ICONS-GALA-Will-Be-Held-At-The-Coliseum-20191105

Held at the Coliseum on 26th January 2020.

Dancers from The Royal Ballet are:

Natalia Osipova 

Yasmine Naghdi

Matthew Ball

Marcelino Sambe.

Repertoire is not specified.

Is Francesca Hayward (also of the Royal Ballet), not appearing? According to Bruce Wall's post, she is. 

In the above link, Olga Balakleets, CEO of Ensemble Production, lists all the dancers invited to perform at the Russian Ballet Icons Gala 2020. Surely her list is the most reliable one.

Edited by Xandra Newman

I think that Bruce's list might be taken from the leaflet that is available at the Coliseum?

16 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

In the above link, Olga Balakleets, CEO of Ensemble Production, lists all the dancers invited to perform at the Russian Ballet Icons Gala 2020. Surely her list is the most reliable one.

I don’t think that’s the case, unless the article has changed.  The article looks to me to be based on a press release, which includes a quote from the CEO (nothing unusual there).  So far as performers are concerned, it says: “Dancers performing on January 26th include many of the following - confirmations to follow” [my emphasis].  As is usual with galas of this kind (and this one in particular), the list of performers won’t really be finalised until a day or two before the performance itself.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:
  •  

Cackles ....

•  

I think that Bruce's list might be taken from the leaflet that is available at the Coliseum?

Thanks, Cackles.  Yes, it is.  I typed it out by hand from the flyer I got from the store counter at the Coliseum when seeing Orphee.  The list was not up on their (i.e., the Coli) website listing when I last looked.  Some names had been dripped out on Ensemble's Facebook postings but certainly not all.  As I and BBB suggests you really - as ever - won't know until MUCH closer to the time as towards the actual reality.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Some names had been dripped out on Ensemble's Facebook postings but certainly not all.  As I and BBB suggests you really - as ever - won't know until MUCH closer to the time as towards the actual reality.  

Some years ago this operation publicised the forthcoming appearance of a famous dancer, who then took advice from me as to whether she could / should sue them: she told me she had not even been contacted about the gala, never mind agreeing to perform. 

Nonetheless I book blind every year and never have less than a most enjoyable time. The audience alone is worth the price of admission (there was once a physical fight in the lobby between two women in couture frocks of a kind one does not usually see at the Coliseum).

• Like 6

This is on the same night as the live broadcast from the Bolshoi of Ratmansky’s new Giselle....

15 minutes ago, Sim said:

This is on the same night as the live broadcast from the Bolshoi of Ratmansky’s new Giselle....

As far as I can see the Giselle broadcast is at 3pm in fact, not in the evening.

Ah ok, that’s good.  Thanks.