Ballet Icons Gala 2020

Just seen this on the Coliseum website: much earlier - 26 January - next year and no longer features the word “Russian” in the title (did it this year?), though it still namechecks the Bolshoi and Mariinsky.

https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/ballet-icons-gala-2020/

Edited to add: bottom price tickets are now apparently £40 - up from £25!

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for the heads up - have to say this years gala was a flop compared to Ivan Putrovs excellent gala the following week.  I wonder if her will be returning as well? I shall think very carefully about this one as it does clash with a rather good back to back in Vienna of Onegin and Jewels!

Mine was certainly £25 this year. The page says prices from £25 but when you go into the booking the customary cheap seats in the balcony are showing as £40, with the more expensive seats showing as “not available at this price” or something of the kind. All a bit odd, so there may be a glitch and the cheap seats could possibly revert to £25.

On 03/07/2019 at 12:37, Lizbie1 said:

Mine was certainly £25 this year. The page says prices from £25 but when you go into the booking the customary cheap seats in the balcony are showing as £40, with the more expensive seats showing as “not available at this price” or something of the kind. All a bit odd, so there may be a glitch and the cheap seats could possibly revert to £25.

I’ve just looked again and the Balcony seats previously showing at £40 are now showing at £25, with the “better” balcony seats at £40. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

A list of names has suddenly appeared for the 2020 programme in January.  Sounds good - as usual - should all of them show up.  Due to lack of time will just do last names:

Ball (RB), Alexandrova (Bolshoi), Cirio (ENB), Coviello (La Scala), Bernal (National Ballet of Spain), M. Golding, Hayward (RB), Heymann (POB) - [that made me smile], Khaniukova (ENB), Kim, (Mariinsky), Kittelberger (Stuttgart), Kochetkova (ex-ABT/SFB), Konovalova (Vienna), Krysanova (Bolshoi), Lacarra, Limenko (Stanislavsky), Lantratov (Bolshoi), Makhateli (DNB), Novikova (Mariinsky) - [an even bigger smile from me], Osipova (RB/Bolshoi), Ovcharenko (Bolshoi), Pagliero (POB), Parish (Mariinsky), Picone (San Carlo), Reveillon (Mariinsky), Salenko (Berlin), Shesterikov (DNB), Simkin (Berlin/ABT), Tereshkina (Mariinsky), Valerio (La Scala), Walter (Berlin), J. MacKay (Mikhailovsky) ... Plus it says there will be others ...

Of course you can't be sure until they show on the night :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/uk-regional/article/BALLET-ICONS-GALA-Will-Be-Held-At-The-Coliseum-20191105

Held at the Coliseum on 26th January 2020.

Dancers from The Royal Ballet are:

Natalia Osipova 

Yasmine Naghdi

Matthew Ball

Marcelino Sambe.

Repertoire is not specified.

Is Francesca Hayward (also of the Royal Ballet), not appearing? According to Bruce Wall's post, she is. 

16 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

In the above link, Olga Balakleets, CEO of Ensemble Production, lists all the dancers invited to perform at the Russian Ballet Icons Gala 2020. Surely her list is the most reliable one.

I don’t think that’s the case, unless the article has changed.  The article looks to me to be based on a press release, which includes a quote from the CEO (nothing unusual there).  So far as performers are concerned, it says: “Dancers performing on January 26th include many of the following - confirmations to follow” [my emphasis].  As is usual with galas of this kind (and this one in particular), the list of performers won’t really be finalised until a day or two before the performance itself.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:
  •  

Cackles ....

•  

I think that Bruce's list might be taken from the leaflet that is available at the Coliseum?

Thanks, Cackles.  Yes, it is.  I typed it out by hand from the flyer I got from the store counter at the Coliseum when seeing Orphee.  The list was not up on their (i.e., the Coli) website listing when I last looked.  Some names had been dripped out on Ensemble's Facebook postings but certainly not all.  As I and BBB suggests you really - as ever - won't know until MUCH closer to the time as towards the actual reality.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Some names had been dripped out on Ensemble's Facebook postings but certainly not all.  As I and BBB suggests you really - as ever - won't know until MUCH closer to the time as towards the actual reality.  

Some years ago this operation publicised the forthcoming appearance of a famous dancer, who then took advice from me as to whether she could / should sue them: she told me she had not even been contacted about the gala, never mind agreeing to perform. 

Nonetheless I book blind every year and never have less than a most enjoyable time. The audience alone is worth the price of admission (there was once a physical fight in the lobby between two women in couture frocks of a kind one does not usually see at the Coliseum).

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I am giving this years RI a miss but shall see Les Etoiles in Rome on the same day instead where interestingly a few dancers listed are the same as for here, most notably Novikova.  Nunez and Muntagirov will be in the Rome gala which swayed my choice.

2 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I am giving this years RI a miss but shall see Les Etoiles in Rome on the same day instead where interestingly a few dancers listed are the same as for here, most notably Novikova.  Nunez and Muntagirov will be in the Rome gala which swayed my choice.

Oooh. I bought my tickets on the strength of Novikova being in London!

• Like 1

Don Q Fan, where did you see Novikova listed for the 2020 Rome gala?  I have seen a listing for the 2019 gala floating around the Internet, which includes her name, but here's the 2020 roster from the producer's Facebook page:

24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - MARIANELA NUNEZ | Royal Ballet di Londra
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - FRIEDEMANN VOGEL | Stuttgart Ballet
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - ELISA BADENES | Stuttgart Ballet
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - YANELA PINERA | Queensland Ballet
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - VADIM MUNTAGIROV | Royal Ballet
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - LUIS VALLE | Opéra de Nice
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - SERGIO BERNAL ALONSO | Ballet Nacional de España
25 e 26 gennaio - AURELIE DUPONT | Opéra de Paris
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - DENIS RODKIN | Teatro Bolshoi di Mosca
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - ELEONORA SEVENARD | Teatro Bolshoi di Mosca
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - ROBERT FAIRCHILD | già New York City Ballet
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - YOUNG GYU CHOI | Dutch National Ballet
24 - 25 - 26 gennaio - OLEG IVENKO | Compagnia di Stato di Opera e Balletto di Kazan

As for Ballet Icons, while the list may look similar to the list for the last gala, that actual performance featured very few of the dancers originally promised.  I hope the audience has better luck in January.

18 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Given that Novikova is listed in the Rome Gala to be dancing with her brilliant husband ... and that she will dance there in March in Corsaire with him I somehow think this much more likely.  See Alexandrova and Lantratov are now also on that list.  

That said very interested to see a few of the new names for the BI programme --- Will very much look forward to seeing Robbie Fairchild again - and DUPONT???? That will be special.  They list her as being with the POB ... but she is, of course, retired.    

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

It is possible to perform at both Rome say on 24/1 and then London BI on 26/1.  

so I’ll be keeping my 🤞 for Novikova in London 

In that case maybe we might get Sarafanov as well!  That would be brilliant.   Do you know, Fiona, that Novikova and Sarafanov aren't doing all three performances in Rome?

I see Vogel is ALSO down - according to his own website - on the Rome list and he is scheduled to appear in all of the 24,25 and the 26 January 2020 Les Etoiles Gala performances in Rome - so it seems he WON'T be in London and the list quoted above is not entirely accurate as well.  Here's Vogel's schedule:

http://friedemannvogel.com/schedule

I wonder if he knows that Ensemble Productions are listing him here on FB??? 

Best I think in these instances NOT to get too bothered with who will appear in this London BI gala.   There is just so much said and, as it turns out, just so much 'Fake News' - let alone inaccurate advertising.

The night will come soon enough and then we will know for sure.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I think there's been some confusion here, to which I did not intend to contribute.  I don't believe Friedemann Vogel was ever listed for the London gala; the list in my earlier post is from the FB page of Daniele Cipriani, the producer of the Etoiles gala in ROME.  Here's the cast list for the ROME gala as shown on the ROME theatre's website (https://en.auditorium.com/evento/les_etoiles-20147.html😞😞

Elisa Badenes (Balletto di Stoccarda)
Sergio Bernal (Balletto Nazionale di Spagna)
Young Gyu Choi (Dutch National Ballet)
Aurélie Dupont (Opéra di Parigi) 25-26 gen
Robert Fairchild (già New York City Ballet)
Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet di Londra)
Marianela Nuñez (The Royal Ballet di Londra)
Yanela Piñera  (Queensland Ballet di Brisbane)
Denis Rodkin (Teatro Bolshoi di Mosca)
Luis Valle (Balletto dell'Opera di Nizza)
Friedemann Vogel (Balletto di Stoccarda)
ed altre stelle dal mondo

As I said earlier, I've seen a description of the Rome gala listing Novikova (plus Sarafanov, Alexandrova and Lantratov) that turns up on Internet searches that I believe describes the last gala (i.e., in January 2019).

Edited by now voyager

9 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

In that case maybe we might get Sarafanov as well!  That would be brilliant.   Do you know, Fiona, that Novikova and Sarafanov aren't doing all three performances in Rome?

I see Vogel is ALSO down - according to his own website - on the Rome list and he is scheduled to appear in all of the 24,25 and the 26 January 2020 Les Etoiles Gala performances in Rome - so it seems he WON'T be in London and the list quoted above is not entirely accurate as well.  Here's Vogel's schedule:

http://friedemannvogel.com/schedule

I wonder if he knows that Ensemble Productions are listing him here on FB??? 

Best I think in these instances NOT to get too bothered with who will appear in this London BI gala.   There is just so much said and, as it turns out, just so much 'Fake News' - let alone inaccurate advertising.

The night will come soon enough and then we will know for sure.  

No sorry I don’t have any info.  Just pointing out that it could be possible to perform at both.  I would also love to see Novikova/Sarafanov together.  

The I’m with you on the ‘wait and see’ attitude.  There were so many last minute changes last year, that speculation is pointless. 

Edited by FionaE
Name typo

Sorry if I had added to any confusion.  The casts are always "subject to change" and I cant see Novikova listed now for Rome.  However my main want was for Marianela and Vadim so as long as they turn up I'll be happy.  I hope the London show is an improvement on 2019, in fact it probably will be now because I am not there! 

As of 8.15pm ..... Sunday 15th December, Rome Gala listing has (I have cut and pasted it):

Elisa Badenes (Balletto di Stoccarda)
Sergio Bernal (Balletto Nazionale di Spagna)
Young Gyu Choi (Dutch National Ballet)
Aurélie Dupont (Opéra di Parigi) 25-26 gen
Robert Fairchild (già New York City Ballet)
Vadim Muntagirov (The Royal Ballet di Londra)
Marianela Nuñez (The Royal Ballet di Londra)
Yanela Piñera  (Queensland Ballet di Brisbane)
Denis Rodkin (Teatro Bolshoi di Mosca)
Luis Valle (Balletto dell'Opera di Nizza)
Friedemann Vogel (Balletto di Stoccarda)
ed altre stelle dal mondo

• 1 month later...

Those who are planning to attend The Russian Ballet Icons Gala at Coliseum this coming Sunday please be aware of huge crowds of people in that area. See the traffic report, which I received from my professional group.

Sun   26.01.2020 - 00:00-23:59 CHINESE NEW YEAR
Closures within the Westminster and Chinatown area for the annual Chinese New Year celebrations. (ChinaTown, Trafalgar Square, Charing Cross, Leicester Square, Shaftesbury Avenue). This will end in an event within Trafalgar Square. CNY parade usually takes place in the afternoon. 2019's parade began at 1715. 25,000 expected. 

• Like 1