Waiting for Exam Results!

EverHopeful

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had started when I was young. I did my first ever ballet class when I was 26! Now I’m 30 and have got a good merit at grade 4, been on pointe for 2 years and just sat my grade 5. Very determined to do well! Very proud of myself for what I’ve achieved so far, but I’m not finished yet - I have my heart set on doing as many exams as possible and maybe even becoming a teacher one day. Ballet has become my whole life and, while I can’t particularly make up for the missed time, I just want to achieve as much as I can. Ballet makes me so happy ❤️

• Like 3

On 31/07/2019 at 09:46, NeverTooOld said:

Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for a while now but this is my first post! I'm also nervously waiting for results - good luck to everyone :)

I feel your pain. Hopefully the wait will be worth it. My DD is also awaiting exam results. Feels like an eternity but just shy of 6 weeks. ISTD taken the same week came through so quickly the additional waiting times has been made even more painful for the RAD. 😩

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1

I'd like to say something.  Exam results are just that - the marks given by someone who sees you just once on a particular day.  Examiners don't know your history and background - they have to mark on what they see on that particular day and they are also human, so can be affected by circumstances beyond their control.  All this means that you may well not receive the mark you hoped for.  However,  in my opinion, the most important thing that results from taking an exam is the improvement that occurs from having the goal of the exam in sight.  Not all my students are equally talented and some may be but can't  cope with exam pressure - when exams are over I always see such an improvement in my students' work.  I always tell them that what is important to me as their teacher is to see how much the work leading up to the exam has pushed them on and allowed them to develop significantly, regardless of what their eventual mark will be.  I see the results in their technical and artistic advance. So please bear that in mind.  I sincerely hope that you'll get the mark you're  hoping for,  but even if you don't,  I'm sure you'll have improved considerably and benefited from working towards your exam.

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dance*is*life said:

I'd like to say something.  Exam results are just that - the marks given by someone who sees you just once on a particular day.  Examiners don't know your history and background - they have to mark on what they see on that particular day and they are also human, so can be affected by circumstances beyond their control.  All this means that you may well not receive the mark you hoped for.  However,  in my opinion, the most important thing that results from taking an exam is the improvement that occurs from having the goal of the exam in sight.  Not all my students are equally talented and some may be but can't  cope with exam pressure - when exams are over I always see such an improvement in my students' work.  I always tell them that what is important to me as their teacher is to see how much the work leading up to the exam has pushed them on and allowed them to develop significantly, regardless of what their eventual mark will be.  I see the results in their technical and artistic advance. So please bear that in mind.  I sincerely hope that you'll get the mark you're  hoping for,  but even if you don't,  I'm sure you'll have improved considerably and benefited from working towards your exam.

Hear, hear! 

3 hours ago, Dance*is*life said:

Thank you.  

I do understand that, and I’ve definitely improved an awful lot regardless of what the results say.

I just feel like I need to prove something to myself. I want to know that my efforts are paying off. I want to know I’m doing well. That must sound really silly I guess. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeveloppeD said:

I do understand that, and I’ve definitely improved an awful lot regardless of what the results say.

I just feel like I need to prove something to myself. I want to know that my efforts are paying off. I want to know I’m doing well. That must sound really silly I guess. 

Not at all!  Of course we all want to get top marks and prove to ourselves that we have value.  It's natural and perfectly understandable.  I'm just saying please don't take it to heart if you don't get the mark you want.  It is definitely not true that if you get a low mark, you have no worth........  All the best of luck !

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DeveloppeD said:

I understand exactly how you feel as I'm the same! I know that a pass is still a pass and I've also improved by having the exam to focus on but I also want to do the best I can.

• Like 1

Our rad results came in on Saturday. 5 weeks exactly since the exam. DD got a distinction!

I wonder whether there is a difference between rad and istd. Istd seem to be happy to award distinctions, seems harder to get one in rad. I've looked at their information on their website too. c.25% got distinctions in grade 2 in one year... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HopelessMummy said:

Our rad results came in on Saturday. 5 weeks exactly since the exam. DD got a distinction!

Massive congratulations to your DD! Which region are you in? Do you know when the results came in relation to your area target date? 

10 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

I wonder whether there is a difference between rad and istd. Istd seem to be happy to award distinctions, seems harder to get one in rad. I've looked at their information on their website too. c.25% got distinctions in grade 2 in one year... 

That's fantastic, well done to your daughter :)

Also waiting for August 9th - though just for grade 1 so appreciate not as important 😉

Need to work out a strategy for managing expectations - DD is hoping for a high distinction which I know are not easy to come by. Doesn't help that jazz grades etc. are often scored more generously so, in her head, ballet results seem low in comparison.

Good luck to everyone waiting! 

Edited by OBface

23 hours ago, DeveloppeD said:

Massive congratulations to your DD! Which region are you in? Do you know when the results came in relation to your area target date? 

Thank you. We're in Kent. No idea about the target date. I thought it would be six weeks from the exam as that is what it says on the website. The examiner was a tough cookie to please. 😂

13 hours ago, NeverTooOld said:

That's fantastic, well done to your daughter :)

Thank you. I'm very proud. It's been a journey!

I got my results on 1st August,  was only little old Grade 3, but I am 60 and only started ballet three or so years ago.  I passed with a merit!   Did a little dance and had a little cry (relief I think), so lucky to have a teacher who was willing to risk her 100% pass rate by putting in this old person!   Can't say what it means to me..... Good luck to all of you still waiting! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, cavycapers said:

I got my results on 1st August,  was only little old Grade 3, but I am 60 and only started ballet three or so years ago.  I passed with a merit!   Did a little dance and had a little cry (relief I think), so lucky to have a teacher who was willing to risk her 100% pass rate by putting in this old person!   Can't say what it means to me..... Good luck to all of you still waiting! 

Congratulations! 🤗

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cavycapers said:

Wow what an achievement! 👏👏👏

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeveloppeD said:

Massive well done @cavycapers 😍 such brilliant news xx

thank you so much!   I so hope you get the result you're hoping for.   I can't believe I wasted fifty seven years of my life before I discovered ballet class,  but you have the chance to go all the way.   Good luck! 

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 2