Elmhurst Young Dancers - thread for questions, tips, meeting other parents etc

TinyNEDancer

Now that all of the Associate programme results are back (or at least the ones I know of), and the dust has settled on decisions,

acceptances etc I thought I would start a thread for those who will be at Elmhurst Young Dancers in September (& those who already are) to share tips, ask questions etc. 

(I will also start a BBA one too)

My DD is 8 and we are reasonably new to this type of thing. She’s excited to start though!

I look forward to meeting other parents of Elmhurst Young Dancers 😊

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ms Sunshine said:

Hi. Yes they need to apply again for secondary age associates in birmingham! But primary they keep places. 5 girls and 2 boys in birmingham young dancers are sucessful in gaining a place full time from September which I think is pretty good odds!

Definitely! 

9 hours ago, Astrid said:

Nice idea @TinyNEDancer - has anyone heard anything else form them yet since accepting? wondering when they send times and stuff. 

@Ms Sunshine has your DD enjoyed her time at elmhurst? Mine can’t wait 😆 did she do the jazz and the ballet or just the ballet? Xx

We haven’t had anything since the offer email. It just said they were still confirming times etc so all info would follow after this. I’ll let you know if we get anything though. 

On 30/06/2019 at 13:36, Astrid said:

Nice idea @TinyNEDancer - has anyone heard anything else form them yet since accepting? wondering when they send times and stuff. 

@Ms Sunshine has your DD enjoyed her time at elmhurst? Mine can’t wait 😆 did she do the jazz and the ballet or just the ballet? Xx

My dd did both classes. Most of them tend to do both. The jazz class really works of strength and flexability. Some would say Elmhurst young dancers is a much better program than other more highly aclaimed ones. X

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ms Sunshine said:

My dd did both classes. Most of them tend to do both. The jazz class really works of strength and flexability. Some would say Elmhurst young dancers is a much better program than other more highly aclaimed ones. X

my DD is absolutely delighted to be starting Elmhurst, she couldn't be happier!!

• 2 weeks later...

I know we’ll get the uniform list later in the summer, but I wondered if anyone could help with letting us know what ballet shoes the Young Dancers wear please? Trying to get slightly organised and buy some things in advance!! 

Thank you 😊 

5 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

I know we’ll get the uniform list later in the summer, but I wondered if anyone could help with letting us know what ballet shoes the Young Dancers wear please? Trying to get slightly organised and buy some things in advance!! 

Thank you 😊 

They are satin full sole and you can order them from the same place as the other uniform when you’re sent the list. 

Edited by 2Graceko
Spellcheck

• 2 weeks later...

We had our email with the uniform list 🙂 - does anyone know what the hair should be  (is it bun or plaits or does it not matter)? Also I can’t see the black jazz shorts in the elmhurst section on the dance shop website or am I going blind..and finally does anyone know which strength band you get? I’m presuming the littlest one? never bought one before! 

apologies if I have just missed this info and it’s all in the email, I couldn’t see it! 

x

3 minutes ago, Astrid said:

We had our email with the uniform list 🙂 - does anyone know what the hair should be  (is it bun or plaits or does it not matter)? Also I can’t see the black jazz shorts in the elmhurst section on the dance shop website or am I going blind..and finally does anyone know which strength band you get? I’m presuming the littlest one? never bought one before! 

apologies if I have just missed this info and it’s all in the email, I couldn’t see it! 

x

Hi Astrid, just a quick one (as I am at work!) but someone told me that the exercise band listed on the info is the wrong one, and that Elmhurst require a different one (different colours mean different strengths) so if anyone does know that it would be very helpful!! 

I think the girls have their hair in a bun, but now I am doubting myself!! 

4 hours ago, Astrid said:

x

Hi Astrid,

My dd started Y5 last year and has the medium strength band. Hair can be bun or plaits, just needs to be neat. And we got these shorts: https://dancingboutique.com/product/cotton-lycra-shorts/

They are good quality but (I thought) quite pricey - I’ve seen others wearing different ones, so I think most black Lycra shorts of a similar length would be fine. 

Can anyone help re: sizes of leotard and the tracksuit please?

My DD is about 128cm, slim build. I think the uniform is either 7/8 or 8/10. I would usually choose 7/8 for her but with the tracksuit being quite expensive I would like it to last, if at all possible... 😀

@TinyNEDancer I was wondering same when I just went on the site to order it... DD exactly same as your DD - 128cm and slim! Reckon Ill go for 7/8 as anything bigger usually hangs off her..I guess can always return and get different size if its too small.. just got in a pickle with shoe sizing as well as used to getting her measured because she has such narrow feet? just gonna take a stab at it 😂

2 minutes ago, Astrid said:

@TinyNEDancer I was wondering same when I just went on the site to order it... DD exactly same as your DD - 128cm and slim! Reckon Ill go for 7/8 as anything bigger usually hangs off her..I guess can always return and get different size if its too small.. just got in a pickle with shoe sizing as well as used to getting her measured because she has such narrow feet? just gonna take a stab at it 😂

I’m also going to order the 7/8 tracksuit. Which leotard did you order? Good luck with the ballet shoes. We have a brand new satin pair that she hasn’t worn yet so she’s going to wear them to start with and then buy the official ones. Do you know what brand they are, out of interest?

Amused by the fact that they are the same size!! 

It didn’t say the brand but I have a feeling they could be Bloch? There was a choice of width and the size chart said Bloch on it. Usually Bloch was have been to wide for her but as there is a width choice it might be they are alright. I ordered 8-10 leotard as she has got a similar one which is 8-10..again a stab in the dark 😅💁🏼‍♀️ Feel like she would be too tall for the 6-7? 

I have to say I love ordering kit..😅 must be a throw back to start of term new stationary and school bags or something? 😆 pretty expensive for it all though! 😬

24 minutes ago, Astrid said:

It didn’t say the brand but I have a feeling they could be Bloch? There was a choice of width and the size chart said Bloch on it. Usually Bloch was have been to wide for her but as there is a width choice it might be they are alright. I ordered 8-10 leotard as she has got a similar one which is 8-10..again a stab in the dark 😅💁🏼‍♀️ Feel like she would be too tall for the 6-7? 

I have to say I love ordering kit..😅 must be a throw back to start of term new stationary and school bags or something? 😆 pretty expensive for it all though! 😬

I know, me too!

I’ve just sorted our order out. Also went for an 8-10 in the leotard. 

I contacted them about the exercise band - apparently they need a medium. 

Do we feel like we might be getting be there now?! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Astrid said:

@TinyNEDancer this is going to sound random but have you had any email confirmation of your order? I haven't..but wondering if that's just the way they do it? does it just turn up?🤔 xx

Hi @Astrid, I got an email confirmation from the card payment company (Payment Sense?) for the payment transaction but not from the uniform company... usually I would get one from each I would say... let’s hope it just turns up! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, my daughter is starting Elmhurst young dancers in Plymouth, year 6. She already attends ballet boost in Exeter and just wondering if anyone else’s little dancer attends both? Only ask because it’s exactly an hour between one finishing and the other starting and it’s a 50-55min journey ... wondering if it’s possible or I’m just crazy to try and fit both in!!!! Bx 

On 25/07/2019 at 12:54, TinyNEDancer said:

I’m also going to order the 7/8 tracksuit. Which leotard did you order? Good luck with the ballet shoes. We have a brand new satin pair that she hasn’t worn yet so she’s going to wear them to start with and then buy the official ones. Do you know what brand they are, out of interest?

Amused by the fact that they are the same size!! 

Hi, I just wondered if it is essential for them to have the tracksuit? My daughter is starting in the year 6 young dancers and trying to justify paying for the tracksuit only for 1 year!!! Many thanks Bx 

On 21/08/2019 at 11:30, Bx9 said:

Hi, I just wondered if it is essential for them to have the tracksuit? My daughter is starting in the year 6 young dancers and trying to justify paying for the tracksuit only for 1 year!!! Many thanks Bx 

I don’t think it is essential, but I am not sure. My daughter has already worn hers for a couple of summer schools she attended this year and so has had some use out of it, she’s also going into Y4 so I am hoping it will have 3 years use (unless she has a growth spurt!). There might be someone selling a second hand one, if you did want to get one. It could be worth asking on the for sale/wanted board... 

Hope your daughter enjoys it! Mine is very excited to start! 

4 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

I don’t think it is essential, but I am not sure. My daughter has already worn hers for a couple of summer schools she attended this year and so has had some use out of it, she’s also going into Y4 so I am hoping it will have 3 years use (unless she has a growth spurt!). There might be someone selling a second hand one, if you did want to get one. It could be worth asking on the for sale/wanted board... 

Hope your daughter enjoys it! Mine is very excited to start! 

Thank you.

Mine cant wait either - she has summer school next week so will be raring to go at the star of term. Which Young Dancers is your daughter at?

On 21/08/2019 at 11:27, Bx9 said:

Hi all, my daughter is starting Elmhurst young dancers in Plymouth, year 6. She already attends ballet boost in Exeter and just wondering if anyone else’s little dancer attends both? Only ask because it’s exactly an hour between one finishing and the other starting and it’s a 50-55min journey ... wondering if it’s possible or I’m just crazy to try and fit both in!!!! Bx 

It’s not essential, certainly in Sunderland there were lots that didn’t wear it.