Tights recommendation please

EmilyR

I've been wearing Silky convertible tights for a while because they are a nice fit. Although the seam are sewn flat the front seam goes wavy (like old fashioned sear sucker?? fabric). Can anyone recommend another make of tights which might stay flat and won't show through underneath my leotard.  Thanks

Shiela is Saivour of Ballet Mums!

Will e-mail Just Ballet...

out if interest, what sort of price we’re Danskin tights? So far DD has found Silky her favourite (though I’ve never bought her expensive pairs in case she got a liking for them 😉

7 hours ago, Anna C said:

I used to get them from Just Ballet - @Sheila Beelam will know if they’re still available! 

Thank you :) The distributor has stopped supplying them to the UK as they say it’s no longer economically viable :(

HOWEVER after some pleading, they have put an order in just for us :) Should be here in a few weeks - keep an eye on our social media, or if you go on the tights on our website, you can sign up for an email notification when they come back in to stock x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheila Beelam said:

Thank you :) The distributor has stopped supplying them to the UK as they say it’s no longer economically viable :(

HOWEVER after some pleading, they have put an order in just for us :) Should be here in a few weeks - keep an eye on our social media, or if you go on the tights on our website, you can sign up for an email notification when they come back in to stock x

Ooooh great! I'll keep an eye on your website for them coming in

23 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Emily, I've added a tag of tights to the top of the thread.  If you click on that lots of other threads that may have useful information in them come up.  Otherwise I am sure members will chip in with advice.

Thanks!

DD’s favourite tights are Capezio convertibles. She has also liked Danskins. I can’t remember the make but she had some cheaper ones which weren’t long enough even when we bought the large ones and these were stretched to their greatest extent, so we tend to stick with Capezio as these are tried and tested. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this. Can anybody give a hint where to get a starter pack (sorry, silly joke)? My 7 yo soon to start and I have no idea where to buy those. Update: I live in Houston, but we don't have too many active forums regarding this issue and folks in here seem to really know the deal.

11 hours ago, funnybunny said:

I'm new to this. Can anybody give a hint where to get a starter pack (sorry, silly joke)? My 7 yo soon to start and I have no idea where to buy those. Update: I live in Houston, but we don't have too many active forums regarding this issue and folks in here seem to really know the deal.

There must be a local dance shop or somewhere recommended by your dance school.

Otherwise, I have just been ordering/talking to 'dancewear solutions' who are an American dance website, and they have a huge range of stuff, and at what seems reasonable prices. AND  if you are in states, free postage! ( shipping to UK wasn't too bad either! )

Enjoy xx

On 10/07/2019 at 20:03, funnybunny said:

I don't know what the norm is in the USA of course, but here I would say most 7 year olds would be wearing socks for class. Tights are often worn for perfirmance though.

Personally, at age 7 I didnt worry about brands for tights etc. It is different when you are talking about a teenager who is in full time training and is wearing dance tights more or less all day every day when excellent comfort and fit are essential. But at 7 your daughter wont be wearing them for long periods and she will probably grow out of them in the blink of an eye.  Ebay is as good as anywhere for basics such as tights in my opinion. Full footed tights are generally the least expensive type. The convertible type are great for older girls who need to get at their feet during class, for example to put padding or toe spacers in if they switch to pointe shoes mid class, or if part of the class is done in shoes and part in bare feet. Check with the teacher, but most 7 year olds will be fine with full footed tights, if they need them at all.

Keep things simple and don't buy anything uneccessarily expensive. If your daughter sticks with dancing it is going to cost you a lot of money in the long run so save your money where you can! 

• Like 3

Unless you are at a Vaganova-based school, most age 7 dancers will be wearing tights in the U.S.  I also recommend convertible tights.  It is common at our studio for harried moms and younger students to forget (or lose) their shoes and it's easier for kids to take class barefoot than in slippery tights. 

U.S. ballet schools often have uniform requirements or preferences listed on their website, so I would start there to see if your student will need a specific brand or type.  Local rec classes will be more relaxed in their requirements.  I would then visit a local dance store to make sure you get the correct size the first time - employees are usually pretty good about looking at a child and knowing what their size will be, and will often give discounts for specific school-affiliated students (usually about 10%).  You can also find tights at discountdance.com or allaboutdance.com.  Both have large inventories and frequent sales.   

And if you haven't yet found it, there is a good U.S. sister-site to this one.  It's called Ballet Talk for Dancers, and you can find it at https://dancers.invisionzone.com/.

Edited by dancemom2
  • Like 1