• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, bridiem said:

From FionaE's original post, I think it must be Nikolas Gaifullin.

Yes, he is. Gaifullin is just 23 and seems to be dynamic in a very exciting way: an unusual profile for a Tybalt...it will be interesting to discover Kobborg's view of this character.

• Like 2

In an interview with RTL (Italian radio) on Sunday, Sergei explained this will be a modern passionate real Romeo.  He mentions he had thought in the past that Romeo was romantic and sweet, and that “that wasn’t me”.

This is not the only video about  - Johan has posted quite a few and they are very dynamic with a lot of exciting lifts and jumps not only for the main 2 parts.  There is one of NG (Nikolas Gaifullin) pulling off 8 pirouettes - filmed by Sergei - and others showing Nikolas as Tybalt.  He has excellent stage presence.  One to watch for sure.   More importantly is the passion and emotion they are all giving to it. 

We await an announcement of who will be designing the costumes.  Sergei said on RTL on Sunday that it will be a surprise!  

11 hours ago, JNC said:

I have to say it looks quite good and I hope if it's a success it comes to London! Seems a shame to limit it only to one performance/venue. 

There will be more performances of this R&J.  Johan Kobborg remarked in an interview (I forget where) that he’s had lots of interest and that was BEFORE he had choreographed even one step!   It is a Poluninink production so who knows where it will be performed next.

FYI, Poluninink’s Rasputin has already been booked to perform in Zurich in November this year (stalls close to sold out) and in Parma and Milan next year.  We await further bookings.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FionaE said:

There will be more performances of this R&J.  Johan Kobborg remarked in an interview (I forget where) that he’s had lots of interest and that was BEFORE he had choreographed even one step!   It is a Poluninink production so who knows where it will be performed next.

Thanks! I'll admit I'm not particularly interested in seeing Polunin's other work (his 'reputation'/controversy aside, I don't think that type of contemporary dance etc is my preference), but the fact that Kobborg and Alina are involved in this certainly makes it more interesting to me. Polunin working with Kobborg/Alina and focusing on more 'traditional' ballet (albeit with a twist) seems promising. 

It will be interesting to hear what people report back from Verona (especially if any Balletco members go) and based on that, if it comes to London, I may see it! So please do report back if you do go! 

• Like 4

If someone wants to try the contest the popular Italian radio RTL  102.5 is giving away two tickets

https://www.rtl.it/notizie/articoli/romeo-e-giulietta-la-prima-mondiale-all-arena-di-verona/

At the bottom of the page there is one of the best rehearsal clip released so far.

The event seems to sell well (at least for numbered seats). The press office made for sure an excellent work. (It has also to be said that a few weeks ago half priced tickets were made available for the employees of some  Verona public and private companies, as mine...of course I already had my full priced one 😖: not too bad anyway, since the sector me and my colleagues considered the best was already sold out)

• Like 2

On 24/07/2019 at 08:58, JNC said:

Thanks! I'll admit I'm not particularly interested in seeing Polunin's other work (his 'reputation'/controversy aside, I don't think that type of contemporary dance etc is my preference), but the fact that Kobborg and Alina are involved in this certainly makes it more interesting to me. Polunin working with Kobborg/Alina and focusing on more 'traditional' ballet (albeit with a twist) seems promising. 

It will be interesting to hear what people report back from Verona (especially if any Balletco members go) and based on that, if it comes to London, I may see it! So please do report back if you do go! 

Although I enjoyed Rasputin, I agree with JNC that if Polunin does more traditional ballet with a twist it will be good to see.

• Like 1

The latest edition of 'Dance Europe' contains a quite lengthy and revealing interview with Alina Cojocaru.  On the subject of Polunin, she says 'I love the fact that he believes in classical ballet - actually he believes in it more than me, so I'm learning from him - he is not giving up on classical ballet, classical steps to create a story.  He believes in that tradition and it's fascinating to see how all this will come together and how I can be a part of it. ... It's so rare,  today, to be in a studio doing a new, classical production, it's almost non-existent.'

30 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

The latest edition of 'Dance Europe' contains a quite lengthy and revealing interview with Alina Cojocaru.  On the subject of Polunin, she says 'I love the fact that he believes in classical ballet - actually he believes in it more than me, so I'm learning from him - he is not giving up on classical ballet, classical steps to create a story.  He believes in that tradition and it's fascinating to see how all this will come together and how I can be a part of it. ... It's so rare,  today, to be in a studio doing a new, classical production, it's almost non-existent.'

I think you have misunderstood. The part of the interview you have quoted comes from the paragraph in which Alina Cojocaru talks about Johan Kobborg’s approach to the ballet - i.e. Kobborg is the one who believes in the tradition of classical ballet. Her remarks about Polunin come in the following paragraph.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I think you have misunderstood. The part of the interview you have quoted comes from the paragraph in which Alina Cojocaru talks about Johan Kobborg’s approach to the ballet - i.e. Kobborg is the one who believes in the tradition of classical ballet. Her remarks about Polunin come in the following paragraph.

Ah, yes, she is talking of the Polunin Romeo and Juliet production but of course, re-reading it you are correct.  Thank you Bluebird. (I love Kobborg but was eager to hope that Polunin was not going to leave classical ballet behind.)

Edited by maryrosesatonapin

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I am disappointed that this extremely uncivil response is actually applauded even by moderators!

Possibly because some of us are very tired at the constant cheerleading on here by a couple of people - it's enough to make me want to leave this forum completely.

If I want to see Polunin's instagram, I'm more than capable of looking at it, there's really no reason to copy it on here.  I don't follow him on instagram for a reason.

I'm entitled to my opinion as much as anyone and my opinion is "yawn".  It may be forward, but it's not uncivil and it's the truth.

• Like 9

The antagonism on here shown by some is enough to make anyone want to give up on this forum.  If you don’t like a dancer or a dance style you are free to not follow it.   There’s plenty of other dancers and styles to follow.  

I believe (and I am not the only person on here) that this R&J in Verona will be a significant event.  The arena is close to sold out on numbered seats ... that’s 5,000 people who think differently to you.  Plus many I personally know who can’t afford to fly there.  

Moderators - please remove the yawners.  They serve only to narrow the membership of this forum to only like-minded people.  Which will be to the detriment of all.   

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Possibly because some of us are very tired at the constant cheerleading on here by a couple of people - it's enough to make me want to leave this forum completely.

If I want to see Polunin's instagram, I'm more than capable of looking at it, there's really no reason to copy it on here.  I don't follow him on instagram for a reason.

I'm entitled to my opinion as much as anyone and my opinion is "yawn".  It may be forward, but it's not uncivil and it's the truth.

This is Johan Kobborg’s Instagram.  There are many posts in his and other cast members’ Instagram, including Sergei and Alina, showing just how brilliant this performance will be.  I have only posted a few on here to keep people informed.  You obviously haven’t looked or you wouldn’t yawn.

• Like 1

Here’s the thing: I think most people who post on this forum have made up their minds, one way or the other, about Polunin. Any attempts to change minds are by now not only futile but counter-productive. That’s why every thread about him, however well-intentioned at the outset, ends  in enmity.

Supporters of Polunin must of course do as they think fit, but if I were one of them I’d probably give it a rest.

• Like 9

I will admit that I am in the 'yawn' camp, and I don't think it's an uncivil response.  I do, however, look forward to hearing about the Verona R&J.  I have a lot of respect for Kobborg/Cojocaru as artists.  They gave me some of the best nights of my life at the ballet (Onegin, Giselle, Manon....) and I really hope this is successful for them.  I also respect Polunin's great talent as an artist and feel that he went off the rails artistically as well as personally.  Again, I hope this piece is a success for him.  Not because of what he has become, but because of what he once was...a truly great artist.   

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have a lot of respect for Kobborg/Cojocaru as artists.  They gave me some of the best nights of my life at the ballet (Onegin, Giselle, Manon....) and I really hope this is successful for them.  I also respect Polunin's great talent as an artist and feel that he went off the rails artistically as well as personally.  Again, I hope this piece is a success for him.  Not because of what he has become, but because of what he once was...a truly great artist.   

I agree with every word of this and also look forward to hearing about the performance itself.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I agree with every word of this and also look forward to hearing about the performance itself.

Thank you for this BBB.

I would be interested to know the business dynamics of this production.  If anyone knows anything about it?

It’s my understanding it is a PoluninInk one in conjunction with ShowBees, Ater and Verona Festival of Beauty and came about because the city of Verona invited Sergei Polunin to put on a show.  If so, Sergei is the curator of it.

From what I see, Johan and Sergei are collaborating together on the production and the show itself is Johan’s vision.  No doubt we will hear more in the weeks before and after the premiere.  

There are interviews in the Italian press talking of upscaling/downscaling for future performances in Russia and India.

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 1

I am yawning too.
10 years ago I flew to London just to see Polunin's debut as Solor.
A few years ago I was "sort of" banned from an American forum for defending Polunin from people heavily judging without having ever seen him dancing or having any idea of the person he was.
Unfortunately the last time I saw him live it was when he danced Albrecht in La Scala: on stage he was technically brilliant, yet princely measured as only artists with a natural charisma can be. He was already the "bad boy" and I wonder what his new audience thought, comparing his effective classicism to the dancing of his over exuberant partner Osipova. At the stage door, the crowd of people asking for selfies was huge and almost hysterical (never seen anything like that for Bolle...), but he was the same gentle, modest and elegant person he was when I first met him, when he was still at school.
In my heart he is still that boy, even if I don't understand and/or don't approve some of his position. I don't believe he is homophobic. Probably he has just better to talk less and dance more.
I have not lost the hope to see him dancing in Verona as in his best days and show his artistry and acting qualities. He has an enormous talent: he was one of my top favourite dancers of all time and I have not removed him from the position.
But I am yawning.

I don't think I need to say what Cojocaru and Kobborg are for me, many people on this forum know me or read what I wrote in the past.
But I am yawning.

Unfortunately Polunin has now totally devoted and adoring fans and this is IMO the worst thing that can happen to an artist.

I am yawning because I don't understand the idea behind posting the link to an (innocent) Instagram post of one month ago (July 13th) with a half naked Polunin jumping: since then, he could have eaten 6 cheeseburgers a day or have developed a beer belly (the are proofs he has not 😊 ). And of course he jumps: he always had. His possible "lack of shape" can hardly be about the jumping.
I hope he will put himself "on shape" listening not to the compliments of fans but to his pride of artist and producer and to Kobborg, that can be an extraordinary coach, and Cojocaru, that has a working ethic as great as her immense artistry and can be quite demanding as a partner: Sergei talent and potential deserve this, and Alina and Johan deserve the same from him.

Inviato da smartphone Samsung Galaxy.
Edited by annamicro
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Supporters of Polunin must of course do as they think fit, but if I were one of them I’d probably give it a rest.

I take this comment to mean you’d like me to not mention Sergei Polunin at all anywhere in this forum.

I do have one question, is there anyone else on here that is going to see the show?

If you don’t want to identify yourself publicly, I’d be happy to hear via personal message.

1 minute ago, FionaE said:

I take this comment to mean you’d like me to not mention Sergei Polunin at all anywhere in this forum.

I wouldn’t go that far - but if the aim of a post is to get people to view him differently, I’d suggest it’s likely to fail with most here.

4 hours ago, FionaE said:

This is Johan Kobborg’s Instagram.  There are many posts in his and other cast members’ Instagram, including Sergei and Alina, showing just how brilliant this performance will be.  I have only posted a few on here to keep people informed.  You obviously haven’t looked or you wouldn’t yawn.

Fiona, I admire your persistence and I will be genuinely interested to hear how Verona works out, but you could hardly be described as an objective observer.  The reason peoples hackles go up is because you and one or two others constantly praise Polunin in such an OTT way that your opinion lacks credibility.  I have never heard you admit to even the slightest flaws in his performance when, self-evidently, there have been some howlers.

Similarly, when you use Instagram posts by people connected with Verona as evidence that the performances will be fantastic, it is viewed as just more hype.  Let’s wait and see what happens.

• Like 6

Just now, penelopesimpson said:

“you could hardly be described as an objective observer“

Yes I am happy to agree with that statement. And vice versa, many anti-Polunin people on here could hardly be described as objective non-observers either.  

I’d already decided independently earlier today, because I have a brain and am not insensitive, that my value here is not wanted. One too many rude responses.  Any reports I can give will be undermined by the forum’s general perception of me, or of Sergei Polunin.  So rest assured I’m out of here.  

Just now, penelopesimpson said:

“I have never heard you admit to even the slightest flaws in his performance when, self-evidently, there have been some howlers.”

Au contraire, I am well aware of his flaws.  Errors of judgement, opinions I don’t necessarily share, poor choices along his journey to be an independent artist, his imperfect English, to mention only some!  I reported on his loss of peak form in Spartacus in March this year on another forum.  Of course his off-peak is better than most dancers’ peak.  He is on a different artistic journey than the normal company-bound ballerino and there will be wrong paths taken along the way.  For instance I can see he could do with collaboration with better choreographers.

Anyway that’s enough from me.

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Fiona there should be room for a wide range of opinion on here and I would hope you might reconsider and stay. I have sent you a p.m.

Me, too.  I would welcome your Verona reports.

Look,  I can be obsessive about Edward Watson and am sad about the fact that he seems to have been forgotten, but I would admit difficulties if I saw them.  His last Mayerling was superlative compared to others but not, IMHO, quite up there with previous performances.  Francesca Hayward is my personal top dancer but although her Juliet was the best I have seen, I think she has more to give.  You have to call it warts and all which doesn’t make you less of a fan.

I watched Polunun’s Marguerite and Armand with Rojo again just now and was reminded of that night when I was spellbound by his charisma, self-assurance and technique.  I saw him on two few occasions at RB but he never failed to impress and those are fond memories.  I have been a stern critic almost ever since for the simple reason that his performances, both in execution and choice of material have been sub standard in almost every respect.  The cult of personality he has built around himself has done him no favours but I am willing to hope that his association with the wondrous Kobborg and Cojocaru may be helpful.  We shall see.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

To be fair, this is a thread called Polunin/Kobborg etc etc... so if you don’t want to read about him either, you might not want to read the thread if it’s a boring topic to you, also given that it was started by a fan of Polunin.

oh but wait... you want to hear about the performances and a review of the show? 

Oh and it makes you want to quit this forum? Or as in other threads stop being a moderator? 

How many ballet fans fans are driven away from this site due to such comments? To be fair, it is called balletforum.COM, and I can say if any of the international fans went on any of the Royal Ballet, ENB or UK based dancers and said ‘yawn’ it would be deleted in a second, and treated as unproductive (which would be fair).

The Polunin thread was already closed down, and really due to non-Polunin fans criticizing the OTT admiration of a few members.

Why not just let the fans of Polunin, chat among themselves and if you like you can choose not to read it? However to commment how bored you are about the topic...???? How much more bored must you be to open a thread about Polunin, read the comments about something that bores you, and then choose to comment?

If you say you must do this as a part of your moderator job, then, I would say, it’s important to act as a moderator, which is very much appreciated, unproductive comments are not.

Just a comment on civility... It’s always a nice check upon oneself to wonder if the thing you are about to post is something you would say in public, to a group of people, or fans of a certain dancer.

I for one, would never walk around ROH and when overhearing a fan I know loves a certain dancer and always raving about them, lean in and say ‘YAWN’.

Wouldnt it also be worse if you were an usher (person of authority) at the ROH, and did the same? 

I would walk on, and ignore it, which I think would be the civil thing to do.

Also, as my own check. If I saw a person do this at the ROH I would say to them exactly what I have written in this post, and if it was an usher, I would ask for their manager and complain. Also and then if that manager didn’t take my comments seriously, then I would reconsider visiting again.

EDITED to add:

You might have felt compelled to read this thread as there are not so many new contributions on the many aspects of ballet - especially non UK. You and the owners of the forum might like to consider why that might be. I for one, have been turned off from starting threads or contributing for this exact behaviour.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 7

You make some good and reasonable points, SBF but I doubt many will be prepared to say so, so don’t expect many likes!

However, I am not sure that castigating the Yawn comment is particularly appropriate for such censure.  BBB can and will speak for himself but I took it as a flippant but not ill humoured remark.

• Like 1

I have a very silly and possibly unhelpful comment to add to this discussion: these very occassional spats between posters is super entertaining (for me, but maybe for others too ), and I do hope that no one leaves just because sometimes things get a bit heated! Honestly, of course no one should be outright rude - but no one here has been, not on this thread , and people really rarely are here - so here's a plea to everyone, yawners, non yawners alike, to stay and keep posting (and yawning, if you wish!)! I love you all even when you fight (maybe especially, cause I'm bored at work!). And because there is room here for everyone: rabid fans, rabid critics, well-informed balletomanes, completely uninformed dillettantes (like me), new timers, old timers, dancers, non dancers etc etc. It's what makes this forum fun, and I hope all of you will stay !

• Like 14

11 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

I am not sure that castigating the Yawn comment is particularly appropriate for such censure. 

If I posted a picture of a dancer I liked and someone wrote 'yawn' I would feel hurt.  What might seem flippant to an 'outsider' can seem spiteful to the recipient of the jibe.  I just feel that moderators, in particular, should find a pleasanter and politer way of expressing themselves and I had hoped for better from this forum.  It's fine to disagree; but it's the manner of expression which jars.

• Like 2