On 12/08/2019 at 18:26, FionaE said:

Of course his off-peak is better than most dancers’ peak.  He is on a different artistic journey than the normal company-bound ballerino

No, his off-peak is just as bad as any other dancer's off-peak, because you realise that he could do better. I've seen him outdanced by Osiel Gouneo in Spartacus, just because Gouneo had more stamina. Fiona, you really need to watch some other dancers - the Shklyarovs, Hallbergs, Lantratovs, Kims, Vogels and all the other great male dancers of the world. So many "normal company-bound ballerinos" are creating works by modern choreographers every season, and mostly by better choreographers than the ones Polunin choses. Polunin is not the first dancer to work freelance or to commision creations, it has been done since many years.

• Like 19

7 hours ago, Angela said:

No, his off-peak is just as bad as any other dancer's off-peak, because you realise that he could do better. I've seen him outdanced by Osiel Gouneo in Spartacus, just because Gouneo had more stamina. Fiona, you really need to watch some other dancers - the Shklyarovs, Hallbergs, Lantratovs, Kims, Vogels and all the other great male dancers of the world. So many "normal company-bound ballerinos" are creating works by modern choreographers every season, and mostly by better choreographers than the ones Polunin choses. Polunin is not the first dancer to work freelance or to commision creations, it has been done since many years.

I have seen some of those you suggest. Kimin Kim is awesome technically but doesn’t move me emotionally.  Osiel Gouneo is a one trick pony.  He can spin beautifully but is limited elsewhere.  On the other hand, I saw Friedemann Vogel do the most beautiful Des Grieux in Manon with Daria Klimentova, it made me cry.  Such control in the adagio solo!  I would love to see his Mayerling.  

I saw David Hallberg with Osipova just this season in R&J and it was so disappointing as he was so unconnected with the role and of course Osipova was fully immersed.  I was doubly disappointed as I’d missed seeing their Giselle when he pulled his Achilles.  His technique wasn’t up to the pre-injury videos I’d seen.  

I have not seen Lantratov and Shkylarov  live but I have watched videos of both.  Maybe I’ll get to see them live one day.  It’s a shame Lantratov is not in London for the Bolshoi tour - I’ve been told there may be a conflict between him and the management and that his recent injury isn’t the real reason he is not here.

Beyond these names that you mention there are many wonderful male dancers around ... Wagman, Hernandez, Sissens, Sambe, Bracewell, Richardson, David Motta Soares, Tissi, .... even Figuerido ....and more.  

And actually I agree completely with you that it is disappointing to watch any dancer (Sergei included) in offpeak form when you know they can do better.

I hope I am not going to be disappointed with Bolle/Nuñez Manon next season, as Bolle May be on the retirement decline.  

• Like 2

On 13/08/2019 at 15:57, FLOSS said:

A final thought, perhaps it would have helped if Kobborg's name rather than Polunin's had appeared first at the head of this discussion as sacrilegious though it may seem to some I think that his involvement in this enterprise is of far greater interest and far less controversial than that of Polunin.

Oh, well, for me it would always be "Cojocaru &..." 😂, but IMO Polunin, whatever one think of him, deserves to to have this R&J under his name.

I don't think this project could ever had happened without Polunin: it's a huge investment of money and risky and he (or somebody for him) clearly is able to make money flow around him. If this is aimed to artistic quality and not to screaming hordes of fans is for sure a good thing.

There is a massive press coverage, totally unusual in Italy, and journalists (maybe also TVs: I saw a Sky clip of rehearsals) were in invited to Belgrade for a press conference and open rehearsals. I don't think journalists travelled from Italy to Serbia on their budget.

The show is mainly advertised (especially by general press) with "the bad boy" line, as it was his longish summer tour: Bolle was sold for ages to Italian audience as the greatest dancer of the world and that was believed. Maybe the organizers are hoping to move aldo the horde of Bolle crazy fans to Polunin, but they need an "easy" bait, sparkling and colourful, to do that: to hook that kind of audience quality is obviously not the option. Creating a popular figure is the key: I remember myself saying to Cojocaru, after one of her LaScala show, a few years ago, that she is not enough a Diva for this Country ...things are not changed, but I am happy she will be in Verona, with Kobborg and Polunin😊.

I saw the poster with the cast a few days ago and Kobborg tweeted it yesterday: interesting costume design and a strong mark as Kobborg production in the scenic decoration.

• Like 3

The clumsy and awkward (I am trying to be gentle) posts of Polunin are still a resource for people seeking for attention (homophoby is a problem in bigoted Italy): gay associations failed to boycott the show and ticket sale (the numbered seats seem sold out), but are planning to protest at time of gate opening on the day of the event

https://www.veronasera.it/attualita/boicottaggio-protesta-polunin-arena-13-agosto-2019.html

1 minute ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Thank you for the links, @annamicro.  So it is mentioned that this Romeo and Juliet might be coming to the Royal Albert Hall....

I saw it only there, but it's the most similar venue to Arena di Verona, so it would make sense

• Like 1