BattementBatty

RBS Junior Associate Newbies

Hello, 

2 questions:

1) is anyone from Leeds going to Coppelia tomorrow and travelling from York?

2) is it the done thing to give teachers a gift at Christmas?

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has danced at the Summer Fair before? My ds is year 5 but first year JA. The email says they only dance if they have obtained the sufficient standards ( I was feeling remotely worried, lol). Any experiences? 

4 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has danced at the Summer Fair before? My ds is year 5 but first year JA. The email says they only dance if they have obtained the sufficient standards ( I was feeling remotely worried, lol). Any experiences? 

My son danced last year at the summer fair as a JA. It's a lovely day! The children are very well rehearsed and polished as they are representing the Junior Associate Programme. But it's a wonderful experience to be apart of! X

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

@Balletmumlife many thanks. Yes, it sounds fabulous. From your experience, if they attend all the rehearsal do they generally get to dance? 

I believe last year they all danced but I could be wrong as didn't know all the year 5 children. I suppose it depends from year to year and nothing is ever certain. X

• Like 1

Oh wow, is this for the London JAs? What a fantastic experience for them! x

14 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Yes, my ds is London year 5.

Fabulous! Hope he loves it! Mine is Newcastle Y5 so just a bit far 😂😂😂 But what a fantastic opportunity for London JAs x

• Like 2

Hi everyone - just thinking forward to September, does anyone know if the offer of a place to continue on in JAs is assumed? Or is there a process we have to go through? 

I know for our other programme we have to audition again each year.

2 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi @BalletBoyMumma,

I literally just received the email offering next year and asking parents to confirm.

xx

Ha, yes just seen - so have we but it went to my husband instead. I should have been more patient. Thank you.

I heard from someone else and mildly panicked as I hadn’t thought about that side of things yet. 

• Like 1

We've just had ours. Their teacher said on the first day it's basically a guarantee, unless there's a serious issue, but it's nice to have it confirmed. 

• Like 2

That’s what I’d assumed from the handbook we got too but someone with previous experience recently suggested otherwise to me. I should probably be more mindful to take what other people say with a pinch of salt. 😁 

I have the email now. 🥰 Yay! 

Is anyone else considering opting for 32 instead of 24 sessions? It’s a long commute for us and the current teacher is really lovely which is pulling us to stick at 24 but it is tempting. How do those of you with DCs doing 32 sessions feel? Is it just right? Too much for them? 
DS wants to but I’m worried I’d miss my weekends off (selfish-much?!? Haha!).  

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

18 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

That’s what I’d assumed from the handbook we got too but someone with previous experience recently suggested otherwise to me. I should probably be more mindful to take what other people say with a pinch of salt. 😁 

Is anyone else considering opting for 32 instead of 24 sessions? It’s a long commute for us and the current teacher is really lovely which is pulling us to stick at 24 but it is tempting. How do those of you with DCs doing 32 sessions feel? Is it just right? Too much for them? 

Hi we do the 32 (that was the only choice haha) and our DD has found it fine, no problems 😚

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Oh but we are very fortunate that we don't have to travel far.. 5 miles or so. I can see why 24 would work well if you having to travel a long distance. From the point of view of DD participating in 32 she's enjoyed it and found it ok.

• Like 1

Yes, it’s just over 2hrs of travelling by trains each way for us (about 70 miles).  I don’t mind too much as Covent Garden is lovely but it does take up a whole day and we are pretty knackered by the time we get home again in the evening. 

8 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Yes, it’s just over 2hrs of travelling by trains each way for us (about 70 miles).  I don’t mind too much as Covent Garden is lovely but it does take up a whole day and we are pretty knackered by the time we get home again in the evening. 

We travel 1 hour each way (50 miles) and do 32 sessions. It’s pretty much every weekend with the odd week off around half term and 3 weeks in April. DD loves it and we have embraced our busy Saturdays (read that as I’ve accepted that Saturdays are none existent for me now 😂). 

• Like 2

Hello I was just coming on to see if anyone else was thinking about changing from the 24 to the 32 sessions. We went for 24 initially to see how things went (of course when you apply for the programme the whole possibility of being accepted seems so unlikely anyway!). But my daughter is absolutely loving it and misses it on the days that she doesn't go. On the other hand, she has made lots of friends in her current class, and she adores her teacher. It's a tricky one. Just wondering how common it is for people to change classes, particularly between year 4 and year 5, which is our situation.

• Like 1

Thank you SJBallet. That’s probably the bit I’m struggling with most - we are so busy in general that I really savour the occasional weekend off. DS will probably be fine but not sure I’m ready. 😂 

12 minutes ago, GabrielleDeV said:

Hello I was just coming on to see if anyone else was thinking about changing from the 24 to the 32 sessions. We went for 24 initially to see how things went (of course when you apply for the programme the whole possibility of being accepted seems so unlikely anyway!). But my daughter is absolutely loving it and misses it on the days that she doesn't go. On the other hand, she has made lots of friends in her current class, and she adores her teacher. It's a tricky one. Just wondering how common it is for people to change classes, particularly between year 4 and year 5, which is our situation.

JA1? If so, my DS is in that class too. 🙂 Their teacher is wonderful. 

I guess the upside is your DD won’t be alone - I can imagine others will change over too and she will still know some classmates (really considering it for my DS - he is also ‘new’ but a yr5 in the class so we’d be changing for yr6).  And I’m sure the other teacher must be just as lovely too. 🙂 

I emailed to query the session options and apparently it’s up to us and our family schedules (and I guess it must be down to places available too, I’m sure but sounds like they are open to people switching to more or less sessions). 

9 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Thank you SJBallet. That’s probably the bit I’m struggling with most - we are so busy in general that I really savour the occasional weekend off. DS will probably be fine but not sure I’m ready. 😂 

To be honest. I did change my working patterns once September came so that I only work 4 days. That way I can get ahead of myself before the weekend hits. If I’m not taking DD to JAs we’re at football with out DS so we really don’t have weekends free. I’d have really found this hard if I was out at work 5 days a week too. 

• Like 1

My DS does 32 and we would like 32 next year. I think he needs all the training he can get. We are about an 1.5 hour away and it has been ok. It does split the family up on weekends with one parent going to London and the other staying locally with another child. DS loved being in the boys class and looking up to the year 6 boys. 

We seem to have a different half-term so had the 2 Saturdays of our half-term are taken by JA and this half-term we have the workshop in the middle too but we are very happy and feel very fortunate and time is just flying and already more than half-way through the year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

JA1? If so, my DS is in that class too. 🙂 Their teacher is wonderful. 

I guess the upside is your DD won’t be alone - I can imagine others will change over too and she will still know some classmates (really considering it for my DS - he is also ‘new’ but a yr5 in the class so we’d be changing for yr6).  And I’m sure the other teacher must be just as lovely too. 🙂 

I emailed to query the session options and apparently it’s up to us and our family schedules (and I guess it must be down to places available too, I’m sure but sounds like they are open to people switching to more or less sessions). 

Ah, yes! We are also in JA1. You're absolutely right, of course - I'm sure all the other teachers (and children) are equally lovely no matter which class they're in. I'll talk to my daughter and see what she wants to do - but will certainly be good to reassure her that others consider the switch! 🙂

• Like 1

This is interesting as we had previously wanted 32 sessions but got allocated 24 but my DS is happy with the 24 currently ....I was under the impression that when changing to year 6 in London, it was automatically 32 sessions for all year 6’s ? 
Is that correct or is it still split up into a boys 24 sessions and a boys 32 sessions?

If a year 5 wanted to change to 32 sessions, would they change from the year 4+5 24 sessions class to the year 4+5 32 sessions or are there any year 5’s in the boys only year 6 classes ? 

1 minute ago, Julsgalaxy said:

This is interesting as we had previously wanted 32 sessions but got allocated 24 but my DS is happy with the 24 currently ....I was under the impression that when changing to year 6 in London, it was automatically 32 sessions for all year 6’s ? 
Is that correct or is it still split up into a boys 24 sessions and a boys 32 sessions?

If a year 5 wanted to change to 32 sessions, would they change from the year 4+5 24 sessions class to the year 4+5 32 sessions or are there any year 5’s in the boys only year 6 classes ? 

I have no idea to be honest - I emailed and asked if we are allowed to change and the impact this might have (on changing class and teacher) and was told one teacher teaches 24 sessions (his current one) and the other teaches 32 and that it’s really up to us. 
 Is there a mixed class with year 6s in? I thought there was but I could be wrong. Or is it two yr4&5 mixed ones and two yr6 classes (one boys, one girls)? 

My son actually really enjoys being in his mixed class as he’s made a lot of friends with the boys and the girls so I think switching to all boys might bother him (but I’m sure only at first). Lots to think about. We are very lucky either way. 
Our youngest DD is auditioning this year too (highly unlikely she’ll get in though) for a yr5 place. And our eldest DD (teen) is not overly impressed with all the travelling as is.