Good luck to everyone tomorrow. 

I have a very excited DD who wanted to get out of bed to try her uniform on again 😂

• Like 3

My daughter had a wonderful time. It was all quite overwhelming with the homework exercises for me though!  

I’m rather cross about this though. She splashed a bit of water on herself in the train home! 😡 

3B454F8A-6588-4186-A9C6-DCA2D5B9E52D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 14/09/2019 at 19:53, BattementBatty said:

My daughter had a wonderful time. It was all quite overwhelming with the homework exercises for me though!  

I’m rather cross about this though. She splashed a bit of water on herself in the train home! 😡 

3B454F8A-6588-4186-A9C6-DCA2D5B9E52D.jpeg

Oh dear - that is really bad. ☹️

Is it permanently stained or have you managed to shift it at all? Was the belt bought from the RB shop? If so, I reckon it'd be worth complaining. 

That good to hear SJBallet and BattementBatty, glad your DDs enjoyed it. 

DS enjoyed it too. We had an absolute nightmare of a morning, very stressful, which really wasn't the best way to start a new programme but he came out smiling and said everyone was really nice - much to my relief. Their teacher seems lovely too. 

We're looking forward to the next class. 😊

• Like 1

Oh no @BattementBatty - nightmare! I never thought to tell DD to take the belt off travelling home but think I will now 😲 Agree it would be worth emailing the supplier... 

DD loved her first class on Saturday - she was so excited beforehand and then suddenly a little bit quiet going in but when we were invited back to see the homework exercises she was beaming and said she'd loved it. The teacher seems lovely and the studio is big and bright. I'd forgotten they would have a pianist - that was a nice surprise. 

In terms of travel, we will be getting the train usually (it's 1.5 hours on the train) but for the next few weeks we will have to drive as the line is closed for planned maintenance... Typical! Anyway we thought it would be 2 hour drive but was actually closer to 2.5 hours each way. Long day for us (DH drove this week, I'll do it next week...) but DD was absolutely fine and I think it will be much easier once we can train it down. More relaxing anyway and we can sit and do homework etc on the train. 

Sounds like they all had a good first day anyway 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Waverley said:

In terms of travel, we will be getting the train usually (it's 1.5 hours on the train) but for the next few weeks we will have to drive as the line is closed for planned maintenance... Typical! Anyway we thought it would be 2 hour drive but was actually closer to 2.5 hours each way. 

Annoying that it is only Saturdays that are affected!

Just a note about the bands. Definitely worth washing them, just to get any excess colour out of them. I hand washed my daughters as I’d marked it when trying to adjust it (I’m not that forward thinking to consider the colour running lol) and was surprised it made the water slightly blue. What a pain for you @BattementBatty😩

DD absolutely loved her first session and loved Miss Hatton at Leeds. A few people had warned me it will be basic and boring and I did start to wonder if it would be right for her but she loved the calm and the discipline of it. I think it was almost like meditation for her💙💙

How did everyone else find their first week?

I’m glad everyone enjoyed their first lesson so far 😃

We travelled with @BalletBoyMumma which was just so lovely to have someone to share this journey with but as she said, our train journey turned into a nightmare lol but we were just so glad to have at least made it to the class even though we were 20 minutes late (we were soooooo stressed about being late/not making it for their very first class but everyone at Royal were so lovely and understanding) , there was a moment we thought we might not make it at all 🙈

DS came out smiling and though he did say some of the exercises were slow , I think he really enjoyed it and felt extra special and proud of himself ❤️ 

Getting him to do the homework every day is going to be a bit of a challenge I think once the novelty wears off hehe 😋

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed having a wander around Covent Garden during class 😍

xx

• Like 2

It is lovely to have a forum to discuss things with other parents. I was wondering if there are  any whatsapp groups for the parents of children in the same class, etc (i.e. my DS is in JA4).,  Looking forward to next Saturday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lara Eschler said:

It is lovely to have a forum to discuss things with other parents. I was wondering if there are  any whatsapp groups for the parents of children in the same class, etc (i.e. my DS is in JA4).,  Looking forward to next Saturday.

I was wondering the same as we have a friend who is an older JA and they have a WhatsApp group for their class which would be super handy 👍 xx

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shelovesdance said:

Just a note about the bands. Definitely worth washing them, just to get any excess colour out of them. I hand washed my daughters as I’d marked it when trying to adjust it (I’m not that forward thinking to consider the colour running lol) and was surprised it made the water slightly blue. What a pain for you @BattementBatty😩

DD absolutely loved her first session and loved Miss Hatton at Leeds. A few people had warned me it will be basic and boring and I did start to wonder if it would be right for her but she loved the calm and the discipline of it. I think it was almost like meditation for her💙💙

How did everyone else find their first week?

Wow, I don't think I would have expected anyone to call it basic and boring. I did tell DD it would go right back to basics which would be what she should expect.

DD really did enjoy it and has done her exercises every night so far.

It would be really good to put a face to our balletco names (I'm the parent that asked about the social media photo's!!!)

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 19:52, Scottishballetmum said:

Annoying that it is only Saturdays that are affected!

I know, typical!

Is anyone else on here in the Newcastle class out of interest? 

20 hours ago, SJBallet said:

It would be really good to put a face to our balletco names (I'm the parent that asked about the social media photo's!!!)

What was the answer to that question out of interest? I did put a pic of DD on my (private) instagram page but still feeling a bit bad about it (even though no-one other than my immediate family and close friends will ever see it 😂)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Waverley said:

What was the answer to that question out of interest? I did put a pic of DD on my (private) instagram page but still feeling a bit bad about it (even though no-one other than my immediate family and close friends will ever see it 😂)

I specifically asked about private Dance school Social media accounts and the answer was no x

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SJBallet said:

I specifically asked about private Dance school Social media accounts and the answer was no x

Hi! DD is in the same class, I was sat behind you. And hello @Shelovesdance. I’ve also had people say to me they haven’t applied because their child would find it too boring and basic but my DD absolutely loves it. We knew Miss hatton already and love her as a teacher but DD also loved it in the RBS context. She can’t wait for Saturday again. 

Good morning everyone,  I was wondering if anyone received an email about spring and summer intensives. I saw the applications are open now but we have not received the email (thought JA’s would). My DS will turn 10 the week before Spring intensives but I think  that should  be old enough to apply.

Many thanks in advance and happy week!

13 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

Good morning everyone,  I was wondering if anyone received an email about spring and summer intensives. I saw the applications are open now but we have not received the email (thought JA’s would). My DS will turn 10 the week before Spring intensives but I think  that should  be old enough to apply.

Many thanks in advance and happy week!

The RBS have changed the system they used from OpenApply which would appear to have been an in-house system for applications for vocational, associates and courses that they have used for the last few years to a web based event registration system Cvent.  As a result it would appear that no-one on the old system (those who have DC in current programmes or have been on recent courses) received a system generated email.  Instead everyone on the mailing list received the general applications are open e-mail  Hope this makes sense? 

• Like 1

Any London class 2 mums fancy a coffee today while the children are dancing?  We weren’t there last week so not sure if anyone met up and went anywhere? X

Are any Leeds JAs going to the pre general rehearsal for Coppelia in Nov?

Trains from the North are eye watering on the day and cheaper to go the night before and stay but wondered if any of DDs class mates will be there (Yr4/5?) 

Hi All

we have someone from WL visiting for an assessment at the next JA session - is this normal and if so, does anyone know what they are looking at?

Thanks

Definitely normal. They had a few visits throughout the year. May be the physio in to have a look. DD was set exercises to help close the gap between her potential and working turnout.

15 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Definitely normal. They had a few visits throughout the year. May be the physio in to have a look. DD was set exercises to help close the gap between her potential and working turnout.

Thank you 😊

Hope this ok to ask here (seeing as you all have DC who are JAs seems a good a place as any!) - how far down into froggy were your children at time of audition? It's been suggested that my DD audition next year and although she is pretty flexible she is nowhere near flat in this stretch. And I understand this to be pretty mandatory to be accepted?

Trying to decide if it's worth even trying or whether we'd be setting ourselves up to fail. 

Not all the children in DD’s class had flat turnout. Some were quite a way off. But they all had that magical ‘something’ when they danced. I think at JAs you see more variety in the facility of the children. There is less variety by Year 7 though.
I think it is always worth a try. The audition experience in itself is lovely and if you take the day as a chance to experience the Royal Ballet School, then it’s not a case of pass or fail.

• Like 1

My DS is flexible in front splits and box splits - by hard work. He has never been totally down on his froggy so we also had concerns. He did an insight day before we applied for him to audition and on that day he was encouraged to 'sign up' and more importantly for us - he thoroughly enjoyed the day and was asking to have a go. His dance school is serious about encouraging boys and so they make little fuss about uniform etc  so we were not sure he would respond to more formal pedagogy but was blown away by how good the teachers were.

All round good experience!

Thank you - a couple of teachers from different schools have suggested she tries so I think we’ll give it a shot. Just so disheartening that something so completely out of her control plays such a big part. Vocational school has also been mentioned so best to get the disappointment out of the way now rather than spending the next couple of years working towards something that simply won’t happen. 

Still a few months to get everything else nailed ahead of audition season anyway 😀

Edited by BellaF

Not all the students at WL have flat turn out  - fact! Some do, but some have to really make the most of what they have by using the correct muscles. It’s about a balance of all the components and who scores highly overall. Don’t let it put your Dd off.