Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, LJP said:

One more question, actually......

 

My DD has two very time intensive hobbies - ballet being one.  Up until now we have managed to juggle both fairly well, including Sunday associate classes for ballet.  Now she is having JA classes on a Saturday, we will inevitably run into more clashes with her other hobby.

 

I imagine the the RB takes a pretty dim view of children that miss classes........ is anyone aware if she were to miss, say, 1 class per term, would the have any baring on whether she would pass the audition for next year or not?

 

We have a similar issue, and I know even now that DD will have to miss 2 RBS classes for gymnastics competitions (in our case). The dates for the gymnastics competitions are set for the whole of our region and if she doesn't attend on those specific dates she will miss out on being to move up to the next grade or level for another whole year until the next date comes around. DD is planning to stop gymnastics this time next year so hopefully the year after it will be easier. 

 

We have the added complication of having to miss another 2 weeks because we had booked a holiday months ago before she even tried out for JA - unfortunately our school holiday week is not in line with the holiday week that RBS are taking so she will miss two Saturdays for that as well... 

 

I feel pretty bad about it but there's really nothing we can do. I'm planning to send an email explaining the situation - we didn't know that JA was a real possibility when we booked our holiday but I propose to say to them that going forward we will obviously work around the JA dates. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Waverley said:

 

We have a similar issue, and I know even now that DD will have to miss 2 RBS classes for gymnastics competitions (in our case). The dates for the gymnastics competitions are set for the whole of our region and if she doesn't attend on those specific dates she will miss out on being to move up to the next grade or level for another whole year until the next date comes around. DD is planning to stop gymnastics this time next year so hopefully the year after it will be easier. 

 

We have the added complication of having to miss another 2 weeks because we had booked a holiday months ago before she even tried out for JA - unfortunately our school holiday week is not in line with the holiday week that RBS are taking so she will miss two Saturdays for that as well... 

 

I feel pretty bad about it but there's really nothing we can do. I'm planning to send an email explaining the situation - we didn't know that JA was a real possibility when we booked our holiday but I propose to say to them that going forward we will obviously work around the JA dates. 

 

 

 

Most of the JA / MA teachers are very approachable via email and as long as you are communicating the issues as they arise they will not be concerned. Obviously if you miss  

too many lessons in a row without good reason and without proper communication then questions may be asked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have to miss the second one due to being at centre Parcs that weekend. It was book before we knew about the JA result and I didn’t think she stood a chance anyway!

 

On another note, has anyone received their invoice yet?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, valentina said:

 

Most of the JA / MA teachers are very approachable via email and as long as you are communicating the issues as they arise they will not be concerned. Obviously if you miss  

too many lessons in a row without good reason and without proper communication then questions may be asked.

Thank you - that's really good to know. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't @BattementBatty, I had actually forgotten we still had to pay until someone asked me the other day how much it was! Carried away in the excitement of hoodies and leotards 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2019 at 17:39, LJP said:

Hi there - my DD is joining the JA year 6 in London i September.  What hair style should she be wearing, and where/how should the ribbons go??

 

Uniform has all arrived, we've done a 'trial' journey into Covent Garden to test traffic and parking, now it's just the fine details to sort out 🙂

 

Hi there, we’re joining Y6 also (not London) and I think I heard or read that buns are acceptable by Y6. I’m sure it said somewhere in the notes that the teacher will advise on hair in the first session anyway? I ordered ribbons but am not sure if they are worn in a bun or only if wearing the traditional plaited bun JA style..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are London year 6 too. It does say they will tell you on the first session about hair so what is everyone going to do until we find out?  I was thinking of the plaits but if the general consensus is bun I’ll do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/08/2019 at 13:34, BattementBatty said:

We have to miss the second one due to being at centre Parcs that weekend. It was book before we knew about the JA result and I didn’t think she stood a chance anyway!

 

On another note, has anyone received their invoice yet?

We've not had our invoice yet  x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

We've not had our invoice yet  x

Invoices didn’t come out until mid September the year my DD started, so after her first class. I remember worrying that maybe I had misread the email and she didn’t have a place after all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Invoices didn’t come out until mid September the year my DD started, so after her first class. I remember worrying that maybe I had misread the email and she didn’t have a place after all!

Thank you for letting us know. I have those thoughts 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Invoices didn’t come out until mid September the year my DD started, so after her first class. I remember worrying that maybe I had misread the email and she didn’t have a place after all!

Haha I've started to think the same! x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, all getting very exciting now, uniform ready to go and one little boy over the moon with excitement ... Just want to ask is there anyone else doing boys class, Saturday, Covent Garden driving in from M3? We are coming from Andover.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won’t be long now!!! I let DD wear her jacket last week for the first time. She was super excited. 

 

Quick question though, in the handbook it says to take a towel for the floor exercises but do children take towels or yoga mats (Leeds specifically)?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the email from our London teacher and she's said no yoga mats. Not sure if this applies elsewhere though. We've been told one large towel (I guess for laying on) and one tea/hand towel size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

we are feeling very excited about next week. 

I was wondering how many classes/schemes etc do your DC do in addition to JAs? What about gymnastics or other training? How many ballet syllabus classes? Private lessons, etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi everyone,

we are feeling very excited about next week. 

I was wondering how many classes/schemes etc do your DC do in addition to JAs? What about gymnastics or other training? How many ballet syllabus classes? Private lessons, etc?

Many thanks in advance.

My daughter does about 5 hours or ballet a week RAD and NATD and Ballet Boost associates, also tap, musical theatre and modern. X

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally it feels like we're ALWAYS 'at dance' 😰 but that's more because I have three children who dance. Individually it's not a crazy amount at all. My son (he's 9) does 40 mins of each ballet/tap/modern (normal class) and then has a 30 min private session with his teacher per week - though the private class is fairly new, just a few months, as was to get him exam ready - it's worked out well and his teacher is really great with him so we're trying to keep it going as long as we can this term. 😊

 

You can be a one session a week student (or have zero previous ballet experience as some professional dancers have proven) and picked for associate programmes if you have what the ballet schools are looking for, I'm sure. Or do hours and hours of training and still not picked if you aren't what they are looking for, unfortunately. 

My eldest daughter does a lot more actual ballet than my son (she's G6 so naturally it requires more time-dedication) but she can't keep up if she goes to a one-off intensive class/workshop at a vocational school (she's tried - she's good but definitely not a natural and I doubt any vocational school would look at her twice - she only dances as a hobby and has a completely different career path in mind so thankfully it doesn't bother her one bit). :) 

 

 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Personally it feels like we're ALWAYS 'at dance' 😰 but that's more because I have three children who dance. Individually it's not a crazy amount at all. My son (he's 9) does 40 mins of each ballet/tap/modern (normal class) and then has a 30 min private session with his teacher per week - though the private class is fairly new, just a few months, as was to get him exam ready - it's worked out well and his teacher is really great with him so we're trying to keep it going as long as we can this term. 😊

 

You can be a one session a week student (or have zero previous ballet experience as some professional dancers have proven) and picked for associate programmes if you have what the ballet schools are looking for, I'm sure. Or do hours and hours of training and still not picked if you aren't what they are looking for, unfortunately. 

My eldest daughter does a lot more actual ballet than my son (she's G6 so naturally it requires more time-dedication) but she can't keep up if she goes to a one-off intensive class/workshop at a vocational school (she's tried - she's good but definitely not a natural and I doubt any vocational school would look at her twice - she only dances as a hobby and has a completely different career path in mind so thankfully it doesn't bother her one bit). :) 

 

 

Many thanks @BalletBoyMumma, this seems similar to what my ds will do, just one ballet class and 30 minutes private ballet coaching locally. I was worried it was not enough (though he will also do another scheme most Sundays).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leeds JA's tend to use towels - Miss Hatton is lovely and will go over everything that first lesson, so don't worry. Enjoy it all x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Lara Eschler - my DD is starting JAs on Saturday and that's the only external associate scheme she is going to do. She is 8. 

 

She does quite a bit at her own dance school, including two graded RAD classes, jazz, contemporary, tap, competition team classes etc. She also does their own internal ballet associates class. It all adds up to quite a few classes each week but she loves it all and it's very social. Fortunately her school don't do many competitions so we don't have many weekends where they are off competing and missing class etc. 

 

Our 'problem' is that she also does competitive gymnastics, so once you add that in it makes for a busy week. It's 2 x 4 hour training sessions each week. We've always just been waiting to see which direction she'd prefer to go in and it's becoming clear that it's dance she wants to focus on so her current plan - as I said above i think - is that she will stop gym next summer.  It's getting to the point where the two activities are starting to clash, not just in terms of time/classes but also in terms of the way she uses her body, so I think her plan is probably a sensible one. 

 

Getting in to JAs has definitely made DD want to focus more on ballet so I hope she enjoys it as much as she is expecting to - either that or she may have a totally different plan this time next year!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest the thing with gymnastics - to do it at a high level anyway - is that they have to be absolutely focused on that and not much else by 7/8 ish, which is crazy I know but it just seems to be the way it is. DD has two friends who now train over 20 hours a week in gym (at 8 years old). DD isn't on that track at all. 

 

So it's a conversation we've been having on and off for a few years now, without trying to put ideas in her head. If i'm totally honest with myself I would prefer her to focus on dance (for various reasons) but we've been trying to let her decide so that it's on her own terms. I'd be delighted if she would quit gym today but she's just not quite there yet...!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Tiaramum said:

Leeds JA's tend to use towels - Miss Hatton is lovely and will go over everything that first lesson, so don't worry. Enjoy it all x

Oh brilliant. Thank you x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Waverley said:

To be honest the thing with gymnastics - to do it at a high level anyway - is that they have to be absolutely focused on that and not much else by 7/8 ish, which is crazy I know but it just seems to be the way it is. DD has two friends who now train over 20 hours a week in gym (at 8 years old). DD isn't on that track at all. 

 

So it's a conversation we've been having on and off for a few years now, without trying to put ideas in her head. If i'm totally honest with myself I would prefer her to focus on dance (for various reasons) but we've been trying to let her decide so that it's on her own terms. I'd be delighted if she would quit gym today but she's just not quite there yet...!

Gymnastics is bonkers I have a 6 year old who does 13 hours a week and an 8 year old who does 10 hours alongside its of dancing. Something has to give quite soon. 

 

In terms of ballet my year 6 JA just has her syllabus class 45min,  a general ballet class 1 hr as well as a pre pointe conditioning class 1/2 an hour.  She also does tap, contemporary/ jazz, modern and musical theatre. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2019 at 11:45, Waverley said:

To be honest the thing with gymnastics - to do it at a high level anyway - is that they have to be absolutely focused on that and not much else by 7/8 ish, which is crazy I know but it just seems to be the way it is. DD has two friends who now train over 20 hours a week in gym (at 8 years old). DD isn't on that track at all. 

 

So it's a conversation we've been having on and off for a few years now, without trying to put ideas in her head. If i'm totally honest with myself I would prefer her to focus on dance (for various reasons) but we've been trying to let her decide so that it's on her own terms. I'd be delighted if she would quit gym today but she's just not quite there yet...!

I share your pain. Until a few weeks ago DS  (* years old) did  18 hours of gymnastics - he competed in the foundation age British Championships in Liverpool this summer and came away with two golds. He did, Modern Tap, Contemporary, Street and Ballet. He has always said ballet is his first love and is so proud to start this weekend as a JA. As much as he loves ballet he likes gym and has of course got a few people interested in his development which flatters him. When I speak to him about it (daily) he still wants to do ballet. The JA lesson clashes with both gymnastics and dance so he has recently had to drop Street and one of his gymnastics sessions. His dance school have also changed days so further clashes mean dropping Modern/Tap. 

 

Additionally, his Dance School have just announced that they are not doing exams anymore and so if he wishes to continue these then he will have to do private lessons. They tell me that Top Ballet schools are nearly all by audition and so he won't need his grades - but this is not what I see when I go onto their websites? I'm so disappointed with dance school that I now feel I have to find another and the only one that will do his level at a time he can do is many miles away.

 

It's all getting difficult so I do hope he chooses soon - he tells me that he has chosen ballet but wants me to try and keep gym going for a while as he is being considered for the GBR team.

 

Who knows what the future holds!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

I share your pain. Until a 

 

Additionally, his Dance School have just announced that they are not doing exams anymore and so if he wishes to continue these then he will have to do private lessons. They tell me that Top Ballet schools are nearly all by audition and so he won't need his grades - but this is not what I see when I go onto their websites? I'm so disappointed with dance school that I now feel I have to find another and the only one that will do his level at a time he can do is many miles away.

 

 

 

Top ballet schools ARE all by audition and they have no interest in how many exams a child has done. They go on what they see at audition. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is perfectly possible to be accepted to a top school without ever having taken an exam, Farawaydancer is completely right.  Conversely, it is possible to work up through an exam system getting very high marks without possessing the special qualities Vocational Schools are looking for.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...