1 hour ago, BattementBatty said:

The shoe rule is quite strict I think from what I’ve heard from a mum of a previous London JA. Leather full sole works the foot harder apparently!

This really does make sense. Split soles are lovely, but I keep telling my DD that they are a lazy shoe (as in make your feet look nice without having to really try.. I find this myself when swapping between my own split soles and soft blocks :lol:). I keep telling DD that full leather will prepare her feet much better for pointe, for which she is counting down the years!

• Like 1

our dance teacher will only let them wear full sole until they are much much older. I do look at all the split soles at festivals though and wonder whether we should get a pair for festivals because they really do make foot point look so much better

* slightly silly question alert *

Ok so totally new to this 😊 after trying to work out the photograph rules with uniform etc, it got me wondering haha. My dc wants to wear the tracky top nearly all the time (and let's face it who wouldn't) luckily too hot at the moment but is this ok for it to be worn, Where ever and when ever type thing? Feel silly asking the associates office this! I'm sure the novelty will wear off but until then can dc wear it?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

* slightly silly question alert *

Ok so totally new to this 😊 after trying to work out the photograph rules with uniform etc, it got me wondering haha. My dc wants to wear the tracky top nearly all the time (and let's face it who wouldn't) luckily too hot at the moment but is this ok for it to be worn, Where ever and when ever type thing? Feel silly asking the associates office this! I'm sure the novelty will wear off but until then can dc wear it?

I can't see why not (I don't remember seeing anything about it in the information booklet) but if you are wary of not upsetting them there are other Royal Ballet hoodies in other styles. They sell them at nearly all RBS events/auditions and there is a seller on eBay (but not sure if it's an approved seller though they look exactly the same as the ones that were sold at the auditions).

I didn't buy anything there incase he didn't get in (I didn't think he would) 😆 I didn't want to get his hopes up. 

I too quite like the exclusive associates ones though. It's almost like a badge of honour. 😁 Though I think I'll be protecting it so much that he'll only wear it for classes and any events that might come up (I'm hoping there are some!). ☺️

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

My dd wore her full tracksuit to school for a day when they had to dress up in their favourite sport or hobby.......off she went.....all the other kids thought it was so cool! Her dance school have always put a photo of her on social media in her uniform wishing her food luck at start of year and workshops. We have never been told off.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I can't see why not (I don't remember seeing anything about it in the information booklet) but if you are wary of not upsetting them there are other Royal Ballet hoodies in other styles. They sell them at nearly all RBS events/auditions and there is a seller on eBay (but not sure if it's an approved seller though they look exactly the same as the ones that were sold at the auditions).

I didn't buy anything there incase he didn't get in (I didn't think he would) 😆 I didn't want to get his hopes up. 

I too quite like the exclusive associates ones though. It's almost like a badge of honour. 😁 Though I think I'll be protecting it so much that he'll only wear it for classes and any events that might come up (I'm hoping there are some!). ☺️

Hi thank you...  did have a route around looking for a royal ballet hoodie but couldn't find one. At Dcs audition no merchandise at all sadly.

I can see it's going to get worn 😂 but hopefuly will be a short thing 😊 x

19 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

My dd wore her full tracksuit to school for a day when they had to dress up in their favourite sport or hobby.......off she went.....all the other kids thought it was so cool! Her dance school have always put a photo of her on social media in her uniform wishing her food luck at start of year and workshops. We have never been told off.

Ahh fab good to know, thank you. Yep O think it's on the list for a similar school event 😂😂 thankyou x

Hi Everyone,

just have a quick question. My ds is starting JA in September in year 5. I was wondering about the Easter intensive course. Do JA formally audition for it? What is the audition like for intensive courses? He will have just turned 10 before the Easter holidays.

many thanks in advance and enjoy the summer and getting uniforms ready 😘

1 hour ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi Everyone,

just have a quick question. My ds is starting JA in September in year 5. I was wondering about the Easter intensive course. Do JA formally audition for it? What is the audition like for intensive courses? He will have just turned 10 before the Easter holidays.

many thanks in advance and enjoy the summer and getting uniforms ready 😘

The Easter and summer intensives are photo application for JAs, the same as everyone else. I think you do tick on the form to say that you are a JA, but I’m not sure how much difference it makes in their decision. Good luck! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

The Easter and summer intensives are photo application for JAs, the same as everyone else. I think you do tick on the form to say that you are a JA, but I’m not sure how much difference it makes in their decision. Good luck! 

Many thanks for your quick response!!!😘

Posted (edited)

Year 5 JA can  only apply for summer intensive.....yr 4 nothing. Yr 6 JA Easter and summer........or that's how it was this year. 

I dont know how they choose off the 1000s of photos they see!!!

Edited by sunrise81

18 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Year 5 JA can  only apply for summer intensive.....yr 4 nothing. Yr 6 JA Easter and summer........or that's how it was this year. 

I dont know how they choose off the 1000s of photos they see!!!

Hi Sunrise81, many thanks for this. From your experience, do you know  how many JA’s are offered a place on an intensive course? Is it as impossible as everything else? I was hoping JA’s would get a place more easily 😩From this year’s handbook, it looks like Year 5s can apply for both Spring and Summer intensives. 😘 Do they receive any tips or help with photos?

Posted (edited)

Only 2.....both boys......got a place in the yr 5 Leeds JAs this year. Plenty on the waiting list. My dd got a straight no. So yep.......like a needle in a haystack! Oooh Easter and summer......more money to spend as it is about £800!!! No help with photos either....just the positions on instructions then off you go yourself......we got dds dance teacher to take them.

Edited by sunrise81

Hi Lara - the Intensives are a bit a minefield in how they choose the kids - photos very important.  If you are a JA it doesn't give you an advantage and you have to go through the same process and it is no prediction on whether they will get a WL place at the end of year 6.  In my DS class there were boys who didn't get a place  at any intensive who ended up getting white lodge places and there were others who got every intensive and boy parts in the ballets and didn't get through.  The intensives are a great experience though and lots of fun! xx

1 minute ago, coniger said:

Hi Lara - the Intensives are a bit a minefield in how they choose the kids - photos very important.  If you are a JA it doesn't give you an advantage and you have to go through the same process and it is no prediction on whether they will get a WL place at the end of year 6.  In my DS class there were boys who didn't get a place  at any intensive who ended up getting white lodge places and there were others who got every intensive and boy parts in the ballets and didn't get through.  The intensives are a great experience though and lots of fun! xx

Thats very true.......one of the dcs in the yr 6 class my dd attends didnt get an offer of any intensive but has a place at white lodge!!!!

1 hour ago, coniger said:

HI Coniger, as you mentioned the ballets, are there many opportunities to be cast in one? How early does it happen? 

Thank you everyone for all your responses about intensives.😘

Correct me if I'm wrong.......but I think its only the London centre that has the chance to audition for performances.  Up North.......no chance!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

HI Coniger, as you mentioned the ballets, are there many opportunities to be cast in one? How early does it happen? 

Thank you everyone for all your responses about intensives.😘

Yes there are ballets throughout the year - look at schedule for ROH  ( not nutcracker they use WL students) think they maybe doing sleeping beauty.  It is all down to your height and whether you fit the costume.  It is usually London JA’s and Eastleigh and mostly boys who get the opportunity 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, coniger said:

Yes there are ballets throughout the year - look at schedule for ROH  ( not nutcracker they use WL students) think they maybe doing sleeping beauty.  It is all down to your height and whether you fit the costume.  It is usually London JA’s and Eastleigh and mostly boys who get the opportunity 

Thanks so much! Last year the Birmingham Royal ballet had open auditions for the nutcracker  at the Royal Albert Hall but it seems they are not doing it this year. 

4 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Thanks so much! Last year the Birmingham Royal ballet had open auditions for the nutcracker  at the Royal Albert Hall but it seems they are not doing it this year. 

There are other opportunities through Ja’s - marinsky at ROH and Sergei Polunin at the Paladium 😄. Just enjoy it 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 20:47, Lara Eschler said:

They are in Birmingham this year. I had an e mail about them last week. Sadly my DS is too old now! (At 12!) to audition. Lots of luck to everyone trying! 👍👍👍👍👍👍 xx

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrsMoo2 said:

They are in Birmingham this year. I had an e mail about them last week. Sadly my DS is too old now! (At 12!) to audition. Lots of luck to everyone trying! 👍👍👍👍👍👍 xx

Thank MrsMoo2. Is this an open audition? When is it? Many thanks.

Hi, JA Boys parents, l read a couple of weeks ago about the uniform, but can't remeber what you all recommended, do we buy to size or smaller or bigger?  thanks in advance x

21 hours ago, Sarahitaly said:

Hi, JA Boys parents, l read a couple of weeks ago about the uniform, but can't remeber what you all recommended, do we buy to size or smaller or bigger?  thanks in advance x

Hi Sarahitaly

I can't recall all the good advice through the thread but I have fanally managed to get all the stuff for my DS - age 8. DS is exactly average height and average weight for his age (red book curve). He is narrow waist, hip and slightly long legged (not massively) and a little broad shouldered.

I bought the boys leotard his stats suggests is Size 1 so bought this - he could not even come close to getting it on - ordered a size 2 which does fit snugly (so sizes are smaller than you would think. I would prefer a bigger size but the next size up is for 11 years olds. 

I bought the size 1 (7-8?) shorts as he is marrow - snug but good fit.

I bought 8-9 tracksuit top which fits nicely as a casual fit (which we like).

Trousers sourced from amazon are not an exact match but as a man I obviously can't tell 😊- I read from others that this does not matter at all.

White leather shoes he already had and had bought them elsewhere.

He now looks magnificent and danced for hours in his new kit after trying them all on!!

Hope this helps

4 hours ago, balletboy8 said:

Hi Sarahitaly

I can't recall all the good advice through the thread but I have fanally managed to get all the stuff for my DS - age 8. DS is exactly average height and average weight for his age (red book curve). He is narrow waist, hip and slightly long legged (not massively) and a little broad shouldered.

I bought the boys leotard his stats suggests is Size 1 so bought this - he could not even come close to getting it on - ordered a size 2 which does fit snugly (so sizes are smaller than you would think. I would prefer a bigger size but the next size up is for 11 years olds. 

I bought the size 1 (7-8?) shorts as he is marrow - snug but good fit.

I bought 8-9 tracksuit top which fits nicely as a casual fit (which we like).

Trousers sourced from amazon are not an exact match but as a man I obviously can't tell 😊- I read from others that this does not matter at all.

White leather shoes he already had and had bought them elsewhere.

He now looks magnificent and danced for hours in his new kit after trying them all on!!

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for all the info, ordering now x

Hi there - my DD is joining the JA year 6 in London i September.  What hair style should she be wearing, and where/how should the ribbons go??

Uniform has all arrived, we've done a 'trial' journey into Covent Garden to test traffic and parking, now it's just the fine details to sort out 🙂

One more question, actually......

My DD has two very time intensive hobbies - ballet being one.  Up until now we have managed to juggle both fairly well, including Sunday associate classes for ballet.  Now she is having JA classes on a Saturday, we will inevitably run into more clashes with her other hobby.

I imagine the the RB takes a pretty dim view of children that miss classes........ is anyone aware if she were to miss, say, 1 class per term, would the have any baring on whether she would pass the audition for next year or not?