37 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

We've bought Asda as they were closest in colour but still have the issue with the baggy waist. Has anyone found any with adjustable waistband or pull strings? (that actually work - I probably should have checked the Asda ones first as they don't though they are fairly slim fitting). 

have they sewn through the elastic or could you cut a hole on the inside of the waist band and pull it through a bit to shorten it? this is what I do with most of my daughters clothes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mrs Brown said:

have they sewn through the elastic or could you cut a hole on the inside of the waist band and pull it through a bit to shorten it? this is what I do with most of my daughters clothes.

I think it's just sewn on bits that look like they are drawstrings but aren't...but now you've said that I'm going to check in the morning. Fingers crossed I can just cut the stitching and tighten them. Thank you. :) 

30 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Hi, we are still waiting for the uniform to arrive but H&M joggers have drawstrings but the blue might not be as navy. 

Yes, we tried those too - completely wrong blue unfortunately. :( 

37 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Yes, we tried those too - completely wrong blue unfortunately. :( 

Ok, thanks for letting me know. as they are optional ds might just wear his Nike joggers as they are quite dark. I did order the fruit of the loom from amazon (still waiting on delivery) in a smaller size as my youngest can wear them for p.e. anyway. I will check also if drawstrings can become functional as suggested above.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I think it's just sewn on bits that look like they are drawstrings but aren't...but now you've said that I'm going to check in the morning. Fingers crossed I can just cut the stitching and tighten them. Thank you. :) 

sorry no I meant the elasticated bit of the waistband. I am assuming they have some elastic in them and then pretend drawstrings at the front. If they haven't actually stitched through the elastic when they have sewn the waistband down then you might be able to cut a hole and pull it through to shorten it. Unfortunately some shops do sew through it which means you can't. 

• Like 1

Just to say, they never go in class in their joggers, so it doesn’t matter what colour they are as it’s only for travelling in. Kids wear full all in one warm ups, leggings, jeans etc on the bottom and some wear joggers but it really doesn’t matter xx Almost all wear the zip ups though xx 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Balletmum55 said:

Just to say, they never go in class in their joggers, so it doesn’t matter what colour they are as it’s only for travelling in. Kids wear full all in one warm ups, leggings, jeans etc on the bottom and some wear joggers but it really doesn’t matter xx Almost all wear the zip ups though xx 

This depends on the centre. The Eastleigh JAs used to start the warm-up in them when DD was there. xx

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

This depends on the centre. The Eastleigh JAs used to start the warm-up in them when DD was there. xx

Yes in Leeds they walk in to class in full tracksuit and sometimes keep it on for warm up, especially in winter as studios are freezing. 

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Yes in Leeds they walk in to class in full tracksuit and sometimes keep it on for warm up, especially in winter as studios are freezing. 

Oh that’s good to know. I bought the full tracksuit and although the bottoms are a bit baggy they’re ok, and if they wear them for more than just travelling I’m happy I got them x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunrise81 said:

Ahh my dd is based at Birmingham. BRB studios always boiling! 

I’m about to order the uniform....does anyone happen to know if the boys trunks come up small , big or true to size ?

Thanks xx 

7 hours ago, ExBallerina said:

I’m about to order the uniform....does anyone happen to know if the boys trunks come up small , big or true to size ?

Thanks xx 

We found them small. I phoned the shop and was advised they are very tight so measure and order either the exact size or one size up (because they should still be nice and tight). We ordered next size up from his waist size and they fit perfectly (and he's super skinny). 

On 23/07/2019 at 22:22, Mrs Brown said:

sorry no I meant the elasticated bit of the waistband. I am assuming they have some elastic in them and then pretend drawstrings at the front. If they haven't actually stitched through the elastic when they have sewn the waistband down then you might be able to cut a hole and pull it through to shorten it. Unfortunately some shops do sew through it which means you can't. 

Oh that makes sense. Thank you! I'm going to try that. 

On 23/07/2019 at 22:22, Mrs Brown said:

Oh you are a star! Thank you!!! His Asda pair now fit perfectly. :) 

So simple but I'd never have thought of doing that. I just need to figure out how to add a photo (file too big apparently) but just wanted to show fit of both the joggers and zip up jumper incase it might help others with their orders and sizing. 

• Like 1

5a7bdd55-c59e-4410-ac7c-741504009f63.thumb.jpg.ccc94289cb68126f612998e93c3bcb24.jpg

Got the photo upload to work finally. Hope I'm allowed to do this and that it's useful.

So, he's 9 but tends to be smaller and skinnier than most boys his age. Height 129cm 

Zip Up RBS Jumper is 7-8yrs - spacious but doesn't drown him. 

Joggers are Asda school dept ones (slim leg style - £5) age 8-9yrs. Had to snip and tweak the elastic but now fit perfectly with growing space (Thank you Mrs Brown). :) 

The colour is a very, tiny bit darker on the bottoms but also the closest we could find. And as you can see, it's not noticeable. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

We found them small. I phoned the shop and was advised they are very tight so measure and order either the exact size or one size up (because they should still be nice and tight). We ordered next size up from his waist size and they fit perfectly (and he's super skinny). 

Brilliant thanks, I’ve ordered the 24 and hopefully they will fit just right as he’s really a 22 . Xx 

• Like 1

so pleased I could help Balletboymumma. I am only on this thread out of sheer nosiness and enjoying sharing other people's news, one of mine hates ballet and only does it to enable her to do tap and Spanish and whilst the other one is pretty good she would never be able to do associates or anything because of a medical condition so we won't ever be doing any of this.

I take in so many waists like this as mine are both very skinny.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

5a7bdd55-c59e-4410-ac7c-741504009f63.thumb.jpg.ccc94289cb68126f612998e93c3bcb24.jpg

Got the photo upload to work finally. Hope I'm allowed to do this and that it's useful.

So, he's 9 but tends to be smaller and skinnier than most boys his age. Height 129cm 

Joggers are Asda school dept ones (slim leg style - £5) age 8-9yrs. Had to snip and tweak the elastic but now fit perfectly with growing space (Thank you Mrs Brown). :) 

The colour is a very, tiny bit darker on the bottoms but also the closest we could find. And as you can see, it's not noticeable. 

This is excellent thanks....I’ve just ordered this morning and ordered 9-11 in the jumper but after seeing your pic , I think it’s going to drown DS so will probably have to get 7-8 xx

7 minutes ago, Mrs Brown said:

so pleased I could help Balletboymumma. I am only on this thread out of sheer nosiness and enjoying sharing other people's news, one of mine hates ballet and only does it to enable her to do tap and Spanish and whilst the other one is pretty good she would never be able to do associates or anything because of a medical condition so we won't ever be doing any of this.

I take in so many waists like this as mine are both very skinny.

Oh, bless you - well I'm so very glad for your presence. 😊

My eldest is similar, though she fairly recently ditched all the others in favour of more ballet (which confused me as it was her least favourite of the three: ballet/tap/modern) but she wouldn't ever entertain the idea of applying for anything at all (I don't mind really as it's less stress for me). She dances for herself only and that's fine by me. 

To be honest, of all three of mine (two girls and a boy) I never thought it'd be the boy child that we were doing all this for. 😁 But here we are. 

I hope both of your girls enjoy their dancing, whatever form it is and however often they do it. ❤️ That's the most important thing really. :) 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ExBallerina said:

This is excellent thanks....I’ve just ordered this morning and ordered 9-11 in the jumper but after seeing your pic , I think it’s going to drown DS so will probably have to get 7-8 xx

I did the same but emailed them to change the order and they did so we had the 7-8 delivered instead :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ExBallerina said:

It might be ok. :) If you do wait for it to arrive and see if it fits please could you let us know? I'm intrigued to know if there's a big difference. Also, I bet quite a few children will be wearing them pretty big at first. 

24 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Oh, bless you - well I'm so very glad for your presence. 😊

My eldest is similar, though she fairly recently ditched all the others in favour of more ballet (which confused me as it was her least favourite of the three: ballet/tap/modern) but she wouldn't ever entertain the idea of applying for anything at all (I don't mind really as it's less stress for me). She dances for herself only and that's fine by me. 

To be honest, of all three of mine (two girls and a boy) I never thought it'd be the boy child that we were doing all this for. 😁 But here we are. 

I hope both of your girls enjoy their dancing, whatever form it is and however often they do it. ❤️ That's the most important thing really. :) 

thank you. yes she loves her tap and Spanish and the other one likes everything at the moment but she is a bit younger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Looks great. Not sure I can manage the tweak but will try buying those as well (can’t ever have enough uniform anyway).Oh and he has ballet barre? Wow

I got  the leotards yesterday in sizes 1 and 2 and size 1 fits really well (the crotch was even ok). It is all so exciting (sort of wish it was me going 😂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Looks great. Not sure I can manage the tweak but will try buying those as well (can’t ever have enough uniform anyway).Oh and he has ballet barre? Wow

I got  the leotards yesterday in sizes 1 and 2 and size 1 fits really well (the crotch was even ok). It is all so exciting (sort of wish it was me going 😂

Haha, ours is really weird fitting - gives him four bum cheeks and I didn't think he had enough weight on him for that ever to happen. 😂 He'll have to live with it as the size 2 would be huge on him. 

Nooo! It's one of my husband's dip bars (or called something like that) but it mostly gets used as a play thing - the kids are currently sat with a blanket draped over each side to create a den (crazy in this heat), pigging out on snacks while they are watching Beauty & the Beast. 😁  It never gets used for it's intended purpose. 😂

My eldest daughter (13) does have a cheapie portable ballet barre but she doesn't let the younger two use it much. It's a bit flimsy - ok for her as she's learnt to be much more controlled, the younger ones tend to pull on it more which makes it unstable. I can't say I recommend it - holding the back of a chair as a makeshift barre works just as well, if not better, at this age. :) 

• Like 1

Though, now you've said that, if/when he ever asks for one (a barre) I think I'm just going to point at one of the dip station bar things (the 'den'). 😂 Truly multipurpose. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Though, now you've said that, if/when he ever asks for one (a barre) I think I'm just going to point at one of the dip station bar things (the 'den'). 😂 Truly multipurpose. 

🤣

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SJBallet said:

I did the same but emailed them to change the order and they did so we had the 7-8 delivered instead :)

Good idea , thanks ...I ordered the 2 in the leotard but now wondering if I need to downsize that too 🤪 xx

On 23/07/2019 at 20:47, Shelovesdance said:

Hi All,

Another newbie here. I’ve just been reading through and already have learnt so much from this thread thank you.

I have a question. My DD is Y4 Leeds. I just wondered how many are in the class and how many are Y4 vs Y5 (I think Y6 are in a separate class??)

Also I hadn’t clocked it was single strap, single sole leather ballet shoes. Is this a strict rule? DD has the most beautiful Grishko canvas, double strap, split sole ones...sadly I’ll have to keep those for her normal ballet class from the sounds of it.

Oh and we have the uniform and I’m a little bit in love with it😍😂

Looking forward to chatting to you all

The shoe rule is quite strict I think from what I’ve heard from a mum of a previous London JA. Leather full sole works the foot harder apparently!

1 hour ago, ExBallerina said:

Good idea , thanks ...I ordered the 2 in the leotard but now wondering if I need to downsize that too 🤪 xx

We also had to do that :) We now have both sizes as although size 1 fits better now, I'm not sure it'll last 3 years.