RBS Junior Associate Newbies

BattementBatty

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are JA newbies too ....absolutely great to have this thread as I’m sure thousands of questions will be coming from me and others :) My DS is in the JA 1 class for yr4 in London from September and I know I’m going to struggle with what sizes to get especially in the leotard and shorts ....I better start looking at it all and start ordering.

Thats a great tip re the tracksuit bottoms ...I think we will just get the top then and bottoms elsewhere. 

It doesn’t feel real yet but I’m sure once the uniform arrives, it will start to feel more real. Xx 

• Like 2

Hello! Reading this thread has been so useful - thanks everyone who has posted about sizes for the uniform. In case it helps anyone else, my daughter will be 9 in September, 126.5cm tall. We've gone with the size 1 leotard and the 7-8 tracksuit top/bottoms and all fit fine (well, perhaps the tracksuit is slightly on the baggy side, but perfectly wearable). Has anyone dared to cut the belt/hair ribbons yet?! 

My daughter will be attending JA1 in London (yr4). She's also got a place at London Junior Ballet, which we accepted before we heard the result of JA audition (deadline was early June). Does anyone know the etiquette re doing two lots of associate classes? She's desperate to do both (assuming she doesn't get too tired with both Saturday and Sunday sessions), but do the RBS like to know if they're doing other associate classes too? The RBS approach seems so holistic, what with having to send school report, making sure that you have local dance teacher's permission to attend etc,  it made me wonder whether we should ask/tell them that she'd like to do LJB as well? Anyone else in this position? Thanks for any insights!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GabrielleDeV said:

Hello! Reading this thread has been so useful - thanks everyone who has posted about sizes for the uniform. In case it helps anyone else, my daughter will be 9 in September, 126.5cm tall. We've gone with the size 1 leotard and the 7-8 tracksuit top/bottoms and all fit fine (well, perhaps the tracksuit is slightly on the baggy side, but perfectly wearable). Has anyone dared to cut the belt/hair ribbons yet?! 

My daughter will be attending JA1 in London (yr4). She's also got a place at London Junior Ballet, which we accepted before we heard the result of JA audition (deadline was early June). Does anyone know the etiquette re doing two lots of associate classes? She's desperate to do both (assuming she doesn't get too tired with both Saturday and Sunday sessions), but do the RBS like to know if they're doing other associate classes too? The RBS approach seems so holistic, what with having to send school report, making sure that you have local dance teacher's permission to attend etc,  it made me wonder whether we should ask/tell them that she'd like to do LJB as well? Anyone else in this position? Thanks for any insights!

Last year my dd was a Cecchetti associate, and this year she has got on to the Northern Ballet CAT scheme. I have emailed her teacher to let her know on both occasions.

• Like 2

Thanks for that @sunrise81. I have now emailed about DDs EYB and other MT associate programme.

Did anyone read the section in the handbook about photo's is it correct that you cannot put any pictures of JA pupils on social media (I'm thinking about a first day pic of DD posted to the closed dance school social media page). It would make sense as you don't see many pics online when you search JAs, just official ones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SJBallet said:

Thanks for that @sunrise81. I have now emailed about DDs EYB and other MT associate programme.

Did anyone read the section in the handbook about photo's is it correct that you cannot put any pictures of JA pupils on social media (I'm thinking about a first day pic of DD posted to the closed dance school social media page). It would make sense as you don't see many pics online when you search JAs, just official ones.

Yes, I'd like to know how this goes too. We don't live anywhere near our friends and family but they are all so excited for our DS I know a social media update (I have quite a locked down profile but it would still share with lots of people) would make some family and friends so happy (many of ours are overseas). 

I also have the added issue of we home educate. I've not quite figured out what to do regarding the school report other than maybe ask the dance teacher, and another activity teacher,  to write a note on how he is in a class setting and then add some bits about the reading/writing/arithmetic levels he's working at at home. I'm not entirely sure what they are after. We also have new exam results coming which I've read also need sending in. I think they are going to get fed up of me emailing - oops! Haha! 

10 hours ago, GabrielleDeV said:

My dd did LJB as well as JAs. yes she was totally shattered but three of her year at LJB gained places at WL...strangely  LJB prepared her far better for the rigours and feel of WL then JAs . 

• Like 3

Just butting in as I haven't been on the forum for a while. Ex-JA parent of a boy and a girl here. Just wanted to say the leotards have never fitted perfectly - mine were JAs about 16+ years ago lol.

I'm loving reading your comments - we were pre-social media days and in fact this forum has barely any parents on it back then. You're so lucky to have so much support from eachother and those who have been before. Enjoy!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Balletmummy18 said:

My dd did LJB as well as JAs. yes she was totally shattered but three of her year at LJB gained places at WL...strangely  LJB prepared her far better for the rigours and feel of WL then JAs . 

Thank you, that's good to know! We were considering dropping LJB once we heard about the JAs (only applied for both because it seemed so unlikely that she might get a place at JAs, still can't believe how lucky she has been), but it sounds like doing both might actually be a good thing - if she can manage it. We applied for the 24 sessions for JAs and the way the term dates are distributed it seems that the commitment is greater in the autumn term than the rest of the year (10 sessions, then 8 sessions in the spring term and 6 in the summer if I remember rightly). So if we can cope with the first term, the rest of the year should be fine.

Hi I'm a new JA parent and have found this thread very helpful already. We have had a crazy time since May, with 3 auditions, Ballet boost associates, RBS JAs and Elmhurst. She's never done anything like this before, much to our suprise and delight she was offered all 3!... Only started ballet 2 years ago. We decided on RBS and Ballet Boost in the end and humbly declined Elmhurst.

The leotard we also found an odd shape, we bought 2 sizes and both no quite right but she loves them. Jacket and trousers 9-11 are big.

Her blue skirt arrived too 

I was also curious about the photo rule in the handbook, so does that mean we can't post pics of our DCs in their tracksuit? I've seen photos of JAs especially first class pics but maybe the rule is a more recent one, or did it mean  no photos in the class surroundings? I'm not sure! 🤔😊

Edited by Crazylifecrazykids
  • Like 1

Photos, always been an odd one as the written rule has always been there. Don’t take inside the buildings and don’t take of other children (especially if you don’t have permission) certainly. Everyone has a photo outside the building though in their tracksuit, especially if it’s at London or Birmingham where it’s a royal ballet building.  Not meant to post on social but in reality everyone does of their own child in their uniform on their first day etc and lots of dance schools also post. Perhaps don’t tag RBS on a hashtag just in case 😂

The only time you are allowed to take photos inside a building is on watching days and only at the time when the teachers allow it (never during class), but again should only post photos with other children on if you have their permission. I see photos every year from all centres. But only at the allowed times, and although they do say don’t post, parents are proud and they do, but being careful not to post pictures of people they don’t have permission from x  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Balletmum55 said:

Photos, always been an odd one as the written rule has always been there. Don’t take inside the buildings and don’t take of other children (especially if you don’t have permission) certainly. Everyone has a photo outside the building though in their tracksuit, especially if it’s at London or Birmingham where it’s a royal ballet building.  Not meant to post on social but in reality everyone does of their own child in their uniform on their first day etc and lots of dance schools also post. Perhaps don’t tag RBS on a hashtag just in case 😂

The only time you are allowed to take photos inside a building is on watching days and only at the time when the teachers allow it (never during class), but again should only post photos with other children on if you have their permission. I see photos every year from all centres. But only at the allowed times, and although they do say don’t post, parents are proud and they do, but being careful not to post pictures of people they don’t have permission from x  

Thank you. This is really helpful. X

• Like 1

We're back from holidays now and starting to think about getting organised for next term - have returned to an exciting parcel containing the tracksuit top, belt and ribbon 🙂

My DD is 8 in August and v small so we went for the smallest sizes in everything - the size 0 leotard fits perfectly other than the wide crotch as others have mentioned. The tracksuit top is baggy but fine. 

Has anyone found any navy leggings or joggers that match it well? I didn't buy the official ones having read the comments here. 

• Like 1

Regarding the tracksuit, we got the matching trousers and haven’t had a problem. My daughter is very skinny (currently wearing age 4-6 shorts on holiday!), but does have quite long legs, so whilst they’re baggy the length is fine. Other than when the weather’s been hot, she’s worn it every week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waverley said:

We're back from holidays now and starting to think about getting organised for next term - have returned to an exciting parcel containing the tracksuit top, belt and ribbon 🙂

My DD is 8 in August and v small so we went for the smallest sizes in everything - the size 0 leotard fits perfectly other than the wide crotch as others have mentioned. The tracksuit top is baggy but fine. 

Has anyone found any navy leggings or joggers that match it well? I didn't buy the official ones having read the comments here. 

Hi Waverley - the joggers are Fruit of the Loom premium joggers, which you can get from Amazon. When my dd was starting year 4, in the size 0 leotard, we got the age 5-6 joggers, which fitted fine.

• Like 3

We've bought Asda as they were closest in colour but still have the issue with the baggy waist. Has anyone found any with adjustable waistband or pull strings? (that actually work - I probably should have checked the Asda ones first as they don't though they are fairly slim fitting). 

Hi All,

Another newbie here. I’ve just been reading through and already have learnt so much from this thread thank you.

I have a question. My DD is Y4 Leeds. I just wondered how many are in the class and how many are Y4 vs Y5 (I think Y6 are in a separate class??)

Also I hadn’t clocked it was single strap, single sole leather ballet shoes. Is this a strict rule? DD has the most beautiful Grishko canvas, double strap, split sole ones...sadly I’ll have to keep those for her normal ballet class from the sounds of it.

Oh and we have the uniform and I’m a little bit in love with it😍😂

Looking forward to chatting to you all

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

We've bought Asda as they were closest in colour but still have the issue with the baggy waist. Has anyone found any with adjustable waistband or pull strings? (that actually work - I probably should have checked the Asda ones first as they don't though they are fairly slim fitting). 

Hi, we are still waiting for the uniform to arrive but H&M joggers have drawstrings but the blue might not be as navy. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

have they sewn through the elastic or could you cut a hole on the inside of the waist band and pull it through a bit to shorten it? this is what I do with most of my daughters clothes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mrs Brown said:

have they sewn through the elastic or could you cut a hole on the inside of the waist band and pull it through a bit to shorten it? this is what I do with most of my daughters clothes.

I think it's just sewn on bits that look like they are drawstrings but aren't...but now you've said that I'm going to check in the morning. Fingers crossed I can just cut the stitching and tighten them. Thank you. :) 

37 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Yes, we tried those too - completely wrong blue unfortunately. :( 

Ok, thanks for letting me know. as they are optional ds might just wear his Nike joggers as they are quite dark. I did order the fruit of the loom from amazon (still waiting on delivery) in a smaller size as my youngest can wear them for p.e. anyway. I will check also if drawstrings can become functional as suggested above.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

I think it's just sewn on bits that look like they are drawstrings but aren't...but now you've said that I'm going to check in the morning. Fingers crossed I can just cut the stitching and tighten them. Thank you. :) 

sorry no I meant the elasticated bit of the waistband. I am assuming they have some elastic in them and then pretend drawstrings at the front. If they haven't actually stitched through the elastic when they have sewn the waistband down then you might be able to cut a hole and pull it through to shorten it. Unfortunately some shops do sew through it which means you can't. 

• Like 1

Just to say, they never go in class in their joggers, so it doesn’t matter what colour they are as it’s only for travelling in. Kids wear full all in one warm ups, leggings, jeans etc on the bottom and some wear joggers but it really doesn’t matter xx Almost all wear the zip ups though xx 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Balletmum55 said:

Just to say, they never go in class in their joggers, so it doesn’t matter what colour they are as it’s only for travelling in. Kids wear full all in one warm ups, leggings, jeans etc on the bottom and some wear joggers but it really doesn’t matter xx Almost all wear the zip ups though xx 

This depends on the centre. The Eastleigh JAs used to start the warm-up in them when DD was there. xx

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

This depends on the centre. The Eastleigh JAs used to start the warm-up in them when DD was there. xx

Yes in Leeds they walk in to class in full tracksuit and sometimes keep it on for warm up, especially in winter as studios are freezing. 

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 1