Royal Ballet Japan tour performances June 2019

Maybe the discussion forum might be appropriate but the opening night of the Japan tour was a big success. 

Tickets were completely sold out, the audience applauding for a long time with everyone in the orchestra stalls giving standing ovations. 

The performance was glorious with Nela and Vadream giving the best they got, such brilliant,  virtuoso technique by the two, the warm and sunny character of Nela perfect as Kitri. They are completely on a different level, ballet gods.  Fumi Kaneko regal and beautiful Queen of Dryads. a delightful Anna-Rose O'Sullivan as the Cupid, Gary Avis's loving father Lorenzo, to mention a few...All the dancers were having great fun on stage, and an especially large applause for Ryoichi Hirano's Espada as the homecoming hero.  

The only negative point was that Laura Morera was injured and was not able to perform (not sure if she can return on the 25th) but Claire Calvert replaced her beautifully. Hope Laura will be back for at least the gala where she will be performing Manon and Masha in Winter Dreams. 

Very happy to know that the company is in excellent condition and everyone was enjoying. I will see 3 more performances of Don Quixote.  

Edited by Naomi M
typo
  • Like 31

I think it would be better to say thank you to Jenny Taylor to give us some informations about a performance...

It is not difficult to understand who is being discussed with the complete text of NaomiM !

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MAX said:

I think it would be better to say thank you to Jenny Taylor to give us some informations about a performance...

It is not difficult to understand who is being discussed with the complete text of NaomiM !

Not so - neither Vadim Muntagirov’s nor Marianela Nunez’s surname has been mentioned so far.

You (and I) may be familiar enough with both, but not everyone is. I know it’s an easy oversight to commit but Jan is right.

• Like 4

I don't agree at all !

I think that someone,  as a moderator,  should be glad that people are posting (from the other side of the world ) to give some news and not tell them how they should present their text.

But I stop losing my time to write about things that have absolutely no importance.

Edited by MAX
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Naomi M said:

and an especially large applause for Ryoichi Hirano's Espada as the homecoming hero.  

I saw him dance Espada (in the ROH) and it was one of my most fav performances literally ever. Would be amazing to see Hirano in Japan 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Candleque said:

I saw him dance Espada (in the ROH) and it was one of my most fav performances literally ever. Would be amazing to see Hirano in Japan 

I too really enjoyed Hirano’s Espada.

As an aside, are very few things I love about this production, but the old-school matinee idol hair Hirano was given is one of them!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MAX said:

I’m not that familiar with RB that I know who Nela and Vadream are.  I’m sure there are other readers in the same boat.

And I would like to know about whom I am reading to enjoy reading about the performances even more.

• Like 6

So, once again, we have more posts with people scrapping about nomenclature than substantive comments about the performance in question. It is such a shame when this happens.

We have all been 'guilty' at some point, including various moderators.

And I would love to hear more from people who are in Japan, please.

• Like 14

40 minutes ago, capybara said:

So, once again, we have more posts with people scrapping about nomenclature than substantive comments about the performance in question. It is such a shame when this happens.

I understand Jan McNulty's point, and to a large extent agree, even though I know who Nela and Vadream are.

There is no harm in the occasional post, especially from a moderator, to remind posters not to use nicknames etc. exclusively. Not only may some readers be unfamiliar with them if they are not familiar with the ballet company, but it may make the forum look like an in-crowd, to whom unknowledgeable outsiders are not welcome.

But that's all that's needed. Just one post as a reminder - no discussion, agreement or disagreement needed, otherwise indeed, too many posts are wasted on a futile discussion.

There - I've just added another one.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Rob S said:

Did they have their full set with moving buildings and windmills? 

Yes they did have the full set. The stage of Tokyo Bunka Kaikan is relatively large. (a bit shallow though) 

I do think should refrain from posting here because sorry I am a non-native English speaker and I am not so good in writing and occasionally got scolded for that. I thought it was popular to call the first two with their nicknames but I should refrain from that too. Sorry! 

But I would say Tonight's performance with Marcelino Sambe and Yasmine Naghdi was also fabulous and the audience was very enthusiastic again, in spite of cast changes I think the audience were all very happy. Sambe might have to improve his partnering skills a little but his leaps beyond gravity were amazingly high and still he had such elegance as well. Yasmine's long balances in the adagio were lovely and also nailed her fouettes with all doubles in the first half. I am not a big fan of this production but i like the ending where everyone is happy, including Gamache.    

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Naomi M said:

Yes they did have the full set. The stage of Tokyo Bunka Kaikan is relatively large. (a bit shallow though) 

I do think should refrain from posting here because sorry I am a non-native English speaker and I am not so good in writing and occasionally got scolded for that. I thought it was popular to call the first two with their nicknames but I should refrain from that too. Sorry! 

Please keep posting Naomi I love to read about performances in Japan. 

The nicknames are popular and you’re not the first person to be scolded for using them :) 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Could we please, at least once, give the full names of the dancers so that people who are not as familiar with the Royal Ballet know who is being discussed?

Thank you.

I don't understand why a moderator is being critized for doing her job...a moderator for everybody on this board, not only for absolute insiders. This is no complain towards Naomi either, we all post directly from our heart and therefor forget sometimes some details others might not know. I am not familiar with dancers nicknames, so I appreciate Jan's reminder.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

. I am not familiar with dancers nicknames, so I appreciate Jan's reminder.

‘Nela’ and ‘ Vadream’ are not exactly cryptic...especially if it’s stated one is playing  Kitri. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rob S said:

‘Nela’ and ‘ Vadream’ are not exactly cryptic...especially if it’s stated one is playing  Kitri. 

But this is exactly the kind of insider-y assumption which puts people off - including me, before I began following the Forum properly.

Nobody wants anyone to stop posting - it's the reaction against the initial reminder which has blown this out of proportion.

(That's me done now.)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Yes, they are.  Really.  If you're not on first-name terms with the dancers.

Perhaps we can go back to discussing the actual performances now?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, capybara said:

I am living in Tokyo at the  moment and plan to attend 3 performances of the Royal Ballet tour

but I must say it is

sometimes very challenging to post on the forum. I usually force myself into the conversations none the less 😊.  Sometimes I need a stiff drink first and by then the details of what I wanted to add are a bit less clear...

Naomi is quite obviously a non-native English speaker and she has said as much before. For her to be as generous as she has been with taking the time to post a review and then be needled about full names is a bit too much. In an earlier post about the Japan tour, she was also taken to task after having taken time to translate dancers’ names from katakana to English when she made a mistake in the spelling of the surname of someone’s favourite dancer🙄

For the record I agree with citing full names but can’t we all recognise the context sometimes and just encourage others to participate. If you recognise who the dancers are then perhaps given the context, supplement the post and add them even if with question marks? Or is better to chase away someone who is obviously trying to contribute positively to the forum? 

Ok - off soapbox now and on to looking forward to Sunday’s matinée performance of Don Q with Lauren Cuthbertson and Matthew Ball.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

But this is exactly the kind of insider-y assumption which puts people off - including me, before I began following the Forum properly.

Nobody wants anyone to stop posting - it's the reaction against the initial reminder which has blown this out of proportion.

(That's me done now.)

I disagree  - Naomi has posted on the forum a number of times clearly as someone who lives in Japan. 

I think the reminder could have  taken the context into consideration. We aren’t all insiders and some of us don’t care to be.  

There is a lot of stern unnecessary snapping /sniping and perhaps the original reminder wasn’t meant to be but knowing the spirit in which Naomi intended the post, I felt for her.

I’ll await my upbraiding now (but that’s me done now too).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I'm really looking forward to further posts from Japan about the tour. The dancers are posting some lovely photos on Instagram! They clearly love being in Tokyo.

Yes...quite distracting at work looking at all the pics and stories, loved Yasmine Naghdi's knitted Kitri doll gift....and such an enthusiastic crowd a the stage door. I'm surprised they don't go there more often.

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, capybara said:

There are times when a personal message is the best way to go. The 'problem' such as there is gets addressed privately, noone is 'accused' on the public forum and none of this kind of 'discussion' needs to take place.

There was more than one person who used only first or nicknames.  It wasn’t a “telling off” merely a reminder that not everyone is familiar with every company and its dancers.

• Like 5

On 22/06/2019 at 20:12, MAX said:

I don't agree at all !

I think that someone,  as a moderator,  should be glad that people are posting (from the other side of the world ) to give some news and not tell them how they should present their text.

But I stop losing my time to write about things that have absolutely no importance.

Thank you, I posted via my phone, so brevity was necessary, especially as I hadn't sorted out charging any of my devices at that point., but was so overcome by the performance, I felt I had to post something to support Naomi's account. . I'm now on my Laptop, so Marianela Nunez and Vadim Muntagirov were out of this world on the first night. I've seen all 4 performances so far, plus a rehearsal and a Class on stage. 

All 4 performances have received standing ovations, and each so different in their own way, with all 4 couples bringing something different to the main roles. 

So far, we have had the aforementioned MN&VM plus Alexander Campbell and Mayara Magri, Marcelino Sambe and Yasmin Naghdi, Lauren Cuthbertson and Matthew Ball.  Plus the whole cast has been on fire and so hard working. Gary Avis and Christopher Saunders are interchanging as DonQ and  Lorenzo, Thomas Whitehead is quite heroic as Gamache in every performance, plus Philip Mosley and Jonathan Howells interchange as Sancho Panza: again physically demanding. The comedy aspects of the ballet are being played to the full and very expressively and overtly,  Ryoichi Hirano is on fire as Espada. I've never seen him dance with such fire and panache and the Japanese audiences are loving him but also everyone else. It's really uplifting to hear such applause in places where they would not receive normally it at the ROH, and they are clearly very knowledgeable - they know what to look for  

All 4 leading couples have pulled out the stops in what is such a bravura ballet. It's really interesting as after the first night, one wondered how it could be bettered, but in their own way they each bring something different. They are all so physically different too. It was a delight to see Mayara Magri really shine as Kitri and she and Alexander Campbell really nailed it - definitely up a notch on their cinema performance.

Marcelino Sambe sizzled as Basilio - goodness, he can perform and he also brought a special cheekiness to the role. I agree that his partnering could be refined, but as a couple, he and Yasmin really gelled. Go from him to Matthew Ball, who is so different physically but really went for the spectacular leaps and turns and again, nailed them.  Matthew, also has great acting skills too of course.  Lauren danced beautifully and was very expressive in the her "naughty, chiding" moments.   

Special mention for the Queens of the Dryads Fumi Kaneko and Yuhui Choe. Apparently this is a feared role, because of its technical difficulty, but has been executed perfectly by both of them. 

Other news: Reece Clarke is back from Injury and played Espada today - very well. Clare Calvert is still replacing Laura Morera as Mercedes as well as taking her own allocation of the role, and she has been excellent.  Luca Acri is making more than most of playing one of the ruffians. We have extra ninja kicks and jumps thrown in. 

The full set is here and moving and working very well.  The stage door is besieged - it's more like a football match. They have to put barriers up at the end of each performance. Some of the dancers also signed autographs inside the theatre, sat at a table. The ROH shop which has been set up, has sold out of most items. The theatre is modern and well appointed with excellent sightlines - much better than the ROH for this. The audience is predominantly female, we were told 90% on the first night, and that's certainly what it looked like. A few more men yesterday and today.      

It's a rest day tomorrow and then we are back for Tuesday evening. I've just had my first evening meal since I arrived (Friday 7am). I haven't had time up until now, but what a rewarding experience it has been so far. I'm loving it. '

• Like 24

55 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

Thank you, I posted via my phone, so brevity was necessary, especially as I hadn't sorted out charging any of my devices at that point., but was so overcome by the performance, I felt I had to post something to support Naomi's account. . I'm now on my Laptop, so Marianela Nunez and Vadim Muntagirov were out of this world on the first night. I've seen all 4 performances so far, plus a rehearsal and a Class on stage. 

All 4 performances have received standing ovations, and each so different in their own way, with all 4 couples bringing something different to the main roles. 

So far, we have had the aforementioned MN&VM plus Alexander Campbell and Mayara Magri, Marcelino Sambe and Yasmin Naghdi, Lauren Cuthbertson and Matthew Ball.  Plus the whole cast has been on fire and so hard working. Gary Avis and Christopher Saunders are interchanging as DonQ and  Lorenzo, Thomas Whitehead is quite heroic as Gamache in every performance, plus Philip Mosley and Jonathan Howells interchange as Sancho Panza: again physically demanding. The comedy aspects of the ballet are being played to the full and very expressively and overtly,  Ryoichi Hirano is on fire as Espada. I've never seen him dance with such fire and panache and the Japanese audiences are loving him but also everyone else. It's really uplifting to hear such applause in places where they would not receive normally it at the ROH, and they are clearly very knowledgeable - they know what to look for  

All 4 leading couples have pulled out the stops in what is such a bravura ballet. It's really interesting as after the first night, one wondered how it could be bettered, but in their own way they each bring something different. They are all so physically different too. It was a delight to see Mayara Magri really shine as Kitri and she and Alexander Campbell really nailed it - definitely up a notch on their cinema performance.

Marcelino Sambe sizzled as Basilio - goodness, he can perform and he also brought a special cheekiness to the role. I agree that his partnering could be refined, but as a couple, he and Yasmin really gelled. Go from him to Matthew Ball, who is so different physically but really went for the spectacular leaps and turns and again, nailed them.  Matthew, also has great acting skills too of course.  Lauren danced beautifully and was very expressive in the her "naughty, chiding" moments.   

Special mention for the Queens of the Dryads Fumi Kaneko and Yuhui Choe. Apparently this is a feared role, because of its technical difficulty, but has been executed perfectly by both of them. 

Other news: Reece Clarke is back from Injury and played Espada today - very well. Clare Calvert is still replacing Laura Morera as Mercedes as well as taking her own allocation of the role, and she has been excellent.  Luca Acri is making more than most of playing one of the ruffians. We have extra ninja kicks and jumps thrown in. 

The full set is here and moving and working very well.  The stage door is besieged - it's more like a football match. They have to put barriers up at the end of each performance. Some of the dancers also signed autographs inside the theatre, sat at a table. The ROH shop which has been set up, has sold out of most items. The theatre is modern and well appointed with excellent sightlines - much better than the ROH for this. The audience is predominantly female, we were told 90% on the first night, and that's certainly what it looked like. A few more men yesterday and today.      

It's a rest day tomorrow and then we are back for Tuesday evening. I've just had my first evening meal since I arrived (Friday 7am). I haven't had time up until now, but what a rewarding experience it has been so far. I'm loving it. '

Sounds fantastic and so lovely to hear of such enthusiasm from the audiences in Japan - will the RB expect the same when they return to London? ! 

• Like 1

Many thanks, Naomi and Jenny, for your wonderful reports about the Royal Ballet in Tokyo.  Japan is a country I have always wanted to visit, and to be able to go there AND see the RB at the same time is just a dream scenario for me!!  However, since my Lottery win still hasn't happened, I have to experience it via kind people like you who take the time to post.  Naomi, I especially appreciate you taking the time to write your reviews.  Not only are they in a foreign language, but with a totally different alphabet.  I know from experience how difficult it is to write in another language, and I am full of admiration for you.  Never think that your English isn't good;  it's excellent, and certainly much better than our Japanese, which in most cases here is non-existent!!  It must take you a long time to write your reviews;  please know how much we appreciate them.

I have always been in awe of what amazing ballet fans the Japanese people are.  The crowds waiting for the RB dancers at the stage door treat them like rock stars.  It's incredible!  I know that the dancers love the responses they are getting, and the appreciation.  I can certainly see why!  Naomi, I hope you will continue to write for the forum.  No-one meant any offense to you, and even I, as a moderator, referred to 'Vadream' in a post the other day!  It is so common that sometimes we all forget that some people aren't familiar with dancers' nicknames.  It isn't a big deal, so please don't worry about it at all.  I hope you continue to enjoy the RB's performances.   Jenny, a huge thanks to you too;  I am looking forward to hearing more from both of you.  

I think everyone has now made their points about the direction this thread has taken, so please let's move forward and celebrate the joy that the RB is taking to the people of Japan, and the reciprocal joy that the people of Japan are giving to the RB.  Thanks all.  

• Like 34

Wonderful to read such detailed reviews from all the posters. Thank you.

Also I really think Naomi always has great input on these forums, and it was clear from her post, using nicknames for the two huge names in ballet, and full names for all other mentions that it wasn’t an ‘in the know’ post, just enthusiasm for wonderful dancers.

I am sure noone meant any issues with the names, though maybe just a usual polite Janet reply of thank you for the review FYI Vadream is Vadim Muntagirov and Nela is Ms Nunez. I don’t think many if any other dancers have popular nicknames, so its only a matter of a small clarification.

Many threads tend to split from the amazing input of the posters sharing their knowledge or views on the subject, and other ‘OT or comments on comments’. I will start a new thread to discuss the merits or otherwise of a proposal that any thread with an offshoot discussion or posts that go into OT or offensive content be separated into an Separate thread by a mod with Spin Off of O/T followed by the name of the thread. 

In this way, the focus of the thread remains as described, and also especially when it becomes closed due to heated discussions that do not apply to the original topic.

Thank you all for your warm responses, it is really nice to feel the love of fellow ballet fams! 

Today I attended Lauren Cuthbertson/Matthew Ball's performance, another excellent and very different performance which was also received enthusiastically .

I have some deadlines to write articles till tomorrow. (I am a journalist on ballet) so meanwhile I don't have enough time to write a detailed review but I very much echo Jenny Taylor's excellent report.  Very happy to see that Reese Clark is back from injury and played Espada with a dangerous sensual portrayal. (also he was one of the toreadors on opening night) I loved the chemistry between Cuthbertson and Ball, they are excellent actors and I could hear their conversation, and they were such sweet young lovers. I liked that Kitri kicked Basilo after the romantic La Bayadere duet, Cuthbertson was indeed naughty! Ball threw in two 540 turns in his 3rd act variation, and Lauren kept on changing the spotting by 45 degrees in the latter half of her fouettes. I was particularly impressed by the beautiful epaulement and expressive upper body of this couple, which made the drama and the dancing more eloquent. Yuhui Choe as the Queen of the Dyards was so lovely and elegant, musical. I can't believe Romany Pajdak is still a First artist, she is doing numerous soloist roles excellently such as the Fandango soloist and one of the Flower Girls( Kitri Friends) .    

Edited by Naomi M
typo
  • Like 23