Tring Auditions

4dancers

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD is doing the 6th form audition on the 15th Jan. It has taken a bit of a back seat to GCse exams and mocks so the musical instument piece (an optional extra) will be a bit shaky!!

Good luck to everyone for the auditions...whatever yeargroup you are.

T

• Like 3

DD did her 6th form audition yesterday so is now joining the ranks of those waiting for letters.

There were only 10 in her PM audition session which started with a talk to dancers and their parents by the Head, Academic head, and Head of dance as well as finance.

The dancers were then taken out for their ballet audition which (for my DD's session) did not involve any pointe work and was at a medium level of difficulty.

They all then went straight to Jazz which involved a very brisk routine which they had to pick up very quickly, DD said she had to work hard and think quickly for this.

After that were the dance solos which are a max of 1 min long...so they got through them quite quickly. Some dancers did pointe work but this was not expected by all.

The dancers could then go home apart form the ones who opted to play an instrument. all told they were in and out within 3 hours max.

Letters are expected to take 10 working days.

Hope this helps.

T

• Like 2

Would anyone who has been to the auditions please let me know what time they actually got away? I want to book seats on the train so need to know which one I can realistically catch.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by w445403

Wonderful news - dd has received a letter from Tring offering her a Y10 place!

Not such good news - unfortunately it comes without the offer of MDS funding, so at the moment it looks like we will have to give it up, and she won't be able to go.

DD is coping really well with it all, as she has always understood the situation, but it's still hard to swallow when you're only 13...

Oh well, these things happen :(

• Like 7

Congratulations to your daughter Taxi4ballet - and I am sorry to hear about the funding. We would be in exactly the same position as you if my DS were to be offered an unfunded place. Tring and Hammond have fewer MDS do they? Do they offer scholarships at all? Are you aware that you could use childcare vouchers for the boarding part of the costs, assuming Tring and Hammond would separate this out for you. That could make a discount of 20% off boarding part of fees, which I know isn't much (wouldn't be enough for me.....) but it might help you or someone else reading this............

• Like 1

Well done to your dd Taxi.Sad to hear about the funding.Will she be auditioning for anywhere else?

Thanks, we're really proud of her, especially since it was her first 'big' audition. We thought we would go the whole hog this year and do Elmhurst and RBS as well.

Best of luck to everyone with auditions still to come, and who now have the snow to contend with (at least we didn't have that to deal with as well!)

• Like 1

Congratulations to your daughter Taxi4ballet - and I am sorry to hear about the funding. We would be in exactly the same position as you if my DS were to be offered an unfunded place. Tring and Hammond have fewer MDS do they? Do they offer scholarships at all? Are you aware that you could use childcare vouchers for the boarding part of the costs, assuming Tring and Hammond would separate this out for you. That could make a discount of 20% off boarding part of fees, which I know isn't much (wouldn't be enough for me.....) but it might help you or someone else reading this............

Don't know anything about Hammond, but I believe Tring gets a few MDS places each year, and I think scholarships are for the Musical Theatre side.

That's a really good tip about childcare vouchers and could very well help others, but would only scratch the surface for us...

Wonderful news - dd has received a letter from Tring offering her a Y10 place!

Not such good news - unfortunately it comes without the offer of MDS funding, so at the moment it looks like we will have to give it up, and she won't be able to go.

DD is coping really well with it all, as she has always understood the situation, but it's still hard to swallow when you're only 13...

Oh well, these things happen :(

Great that she got the offer! Well done!

To be honest we have only heard through the grapevine of 1 child who has been called back for an MDS funding audition (for a Year 7 place). Many RBS JA's have been offered places but not offered the funding audition, so I think there are only a very few MDS places on offer. Has anyone heard of any other funding auditions for Tring?

• Like 1

Tring have only ever had about 7 MDS places a year which when you could access the annual reveiw document on the government website you could see. They manage to get a few extra by applying for funding for those who had been in receipt of an MDS at a previous school but these would revert back to the government when the student left. The report showed how many students in total were in receipt of MDS funding at each school.

If memory serves me right it appeared that RB had 24 places a year, Elmhurst 20 places a year, Tring 7 places a year and Hammond 5 places a year. It would be good if they could put this report back on line as it was very interesting to read. You could also compare the number of music places to dance places. Also told you how much it cost the government. Maybe a Freedom of Information request is called for!

• Like 2