Tring Auditions

4dancers

My 10 year old dd is auditioning for the junior dance course at Tring in a few weeks, it says on the letter to wear jazz shoes or jazz trainers for the modern class, although she does jazz she just wears her ballet shoes for it, can she just wear these for the audition? I don't really want to buy shoes that she might only wear once and also would be unfamiliar dancing in them.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help.

Thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone

Can anyone tell me if pointe work is included in the audition for a year nine place? I noticed last week that the box of my dd's pointe shoes have gone very soft and last night one shoe began creaking ominously. She has her audition in a couple of weeks and we have no chance of getting her new pointe shoes before then :(

Junior Dance Course result letters from the 10th and 15th October auditions are out this morning. My daughter and her friend who is a RB JA were offered places but not for MDS funding finals. She's delighted anyway as it's her first choice vocational school, so we will be taking up the place :-)

Just wondered if there are any others who will be accepting places also for next September? Well done to any that have been called back for MDS!

• Like 8

Well done to your dd and her friend, my dd has her audition on 6th Nov, don't think it's really hit home that it's that soon. Really hoping for a funded place as there is no way we can afford it without, but saying that dd is not 100% sure she wants to board so it might be a mixed blessing if she doesn't get one!

Well done to your dd, tinydancer, sorry about the funding. Is she auditioning anywhere else? We're thinking about it as my dd would like to, although not sure she wants to board, think she just fancies the excitement of auditioning and a day off school!

• Like 1

Best of luck to your dd 4dancers and well done to your dd tinydancer for her offer. It's a shame Tring doesn't get a bigger pot for funding. I'm sure I remeber reading that they only have around 8 MDS places per year (to cover years 7, 9 and 6th form entry), but please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Edited by atacrossroads

• 4 weeks later...

aww, thank you! The thing that's made me even prouder is that when she got home from dance and saw the letter, she was absolutely ecstatic that she had even been offered a place and didn't get at all upset that she can't actually go, even though it would be her dream. Oh well, Hammond next. Would be grateful if you lovely people could keep your fingers crossed! :)

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

My dd was given a no from Tring, her dance teacher was really suprised. She's an RBS ja and has just got some great feedback from her associate teacher, so wasn't expecting an outright no. She did come out very flat from the audition, saying that the ballet class had been hard. The other thing she didn't do was either a song or a drama piece, does anyone know if that could have made a difference?

On a more positive note, she auditioned for Hammond today and came out full of smiles and talking about eveything she'd done!

In my experience, all the "big four" schools seem to look for different things, so what appeals to Tring may not be what RBS are looking for. Remember, it's just one person's (or one small panel's) opinion of how someone performs, on one day.

The main thing to do is to not take the "no" personally. Your dd may be exactly what another school is looking for - or she may not be ready for full time training yet, but that doesn't mean she never will.

I wouldn't worry about not having sung or acted - it's not obligatory. I think sometimes it helps Tring discover children more suited to the Theatre Arts course but who wouldn't have thought of auditioning for that course. :-)

Best of luck for your dd's other auditions.

• Like 2