Lovely London farewell for David Bintley tonight, including a flower throw and some quite emotional speeches.

• Like 10

BRB and David Bintley have given us two virtually perfect ballets since January. Hobson’s Choice and Beauty and the Beast. Both cast on suitability for the roles rather than seniority. Much loved by his dancers, he will be sorely missed. Until September that is as he will return to stage his Giselle. Can’t wait for that casting.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

At the end of Hobson's Choice tonight, as well as the 'Mossop and Hobson' sign going onto the shop front, a bigger sign of the same design came down from the flies saying 'THANK YOU DAVID'. It was brilliant! Lovely speeches from Sir Peter Wright and from David Bintley himself (and, before the performance, from the Chairman of BRB). A really loving, affectionate, emotional farewell.

AND it had been a wonderful performance, led by Samara Downs and Lachlan Monaghan. I'd forgotten what a superb ballet this is.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 7

IMG_4144.JPG

I'm guessing that's Ruth Brill being presented with flowers, since she's leaving?

IMG_4145.JPG

Hobson's Choice curtain call, including David Bintley with bouquet.

IMG_4147.JPG

Sir Peter Wright reading a tribute to David Bintley

• Like 10

A privilege to be there tonight for David Bintley’s farewell. Very well-judged speeches from all concerned and lovely to see dancers who were not on stage cheering from the audience.

Best wishes to David for the next stage in his career.

• Like 7

Brilliant night all round. Great performances from everyone. Way better than I remember it but obviously the company dancers were going to be on top form tonight. It was a privilege to be there. I did miss some really good bits though because my eyes were drawn to the magnificent Marion Tait! 

• Like 2

Gutted I had to miss this, but it was mitigated by the fact that I was watching Sir Simon Rattle conduct the LSO in a wonderful performance of The Cunning Little Vixen.  So a bit of a Brum connection!   So pleased it was such a wonderful farewell to Mr Bintley.   

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks so for those wonderful pictured moments, Alison.

So sad I had to miss this.  That said I am in Hamburg and saw Balachine's Liebesleiber and Brahms Schoenberg Quartet last night and there were two senior members of the Hamburg Ballett Company who were giving their final performances in a full ballet and were thrown a goodly number of bouquets from the audience; no speeches however.  Perhaps that will come tonight in the five hour and five minute Nijinsky Gala.  The only reason I bring this up is my admiration for the Hamburg audience (opera house capacity 2,100) that Neumeier has so carefully cultivated.  I have gone to the last three performances here (including one which was new works loosely based on Shakespeare's sonnets created by three senior company dancers and employing both the Company and the School) and they have been hugely well attended.  

I pray that Sadler's Wells picked up sales for Hobson's Choice from that which I saw when I last looked at the seating chart on Thursday.  Can someone report on this?  Each level then had 100+ seats available reading against it.  I would like to think that to especially honour this esteemed occasion it might have been full.  (Grateful for a report on the Second Circle - if anyone hereabouts actually sits there.  [I'm always so envious of people who make repeat visits sitting in the stalls or stalls circle equivalent.  I could never afford to attend the amount I do if I didn't peer down from the Second Circle with the much appreciated Senior Specials - or standing on those occasions where it is actually sold out.])  My ticket for the Hamburg Ballett last night cost seven euros (not discounted in any manner) and I was at the very back but with a completely full sight line without duress. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Thanks so for those wonderful pictured moments, Alison.

So sad I had to miss this.  That said I am in Hamburg and saw Balachine's Liebesleiber and Brahms Schoenberg Quartet last night and there were two senior members of the Hamburg Ballett Company who were giving their final performances in a full ballet and were thrown a goodly number of bouquets from the audience; no speeches however.  Perhaps that will come tonight in the five hour and five minute Nijinsky Gala.  The only reason I bring this up is my admiration for the Hamburg audience (opera house capacity 2,100) that Neumeier has so carefully cultivated.  I have gone to the last three performances here (including one which was new works loosely based on Shakespeare's sonnets created by three senior company dancers and employing both the Company and the School) and they have been hugely well attended.  

I pray that Sadler's Wells picked up sales for Hobson's Choice from that which I saw when I last looked at the seating chart on Thursday.  Can someone report on this?  Each level then had 100+ seats available reading against it.  I would like to think that to especially honour this esteemed occasion it might have been full.  (Grateful for a report on the Second Circle - if anyone hereabouts actually sits there.  [I'm always so envious of people who make repeat visits sitting in the stalls or stalls circle equivalent.  I could never afford to attend the amount I do if I didn't peer down from the Second Circle with the much appreciated Senior Specials - or standing on those occasions where it is actually sold out.])  My ticket for the Hamburg Ballett last night cost seven euros (not discounted in any manner) and I was at the very back but with a completely full sight line without duress. 

I was in the second circle, but for the special occasion I'd treated myself to row B (normally I'm in row O or similar!). I looked round to see if it was well attended, and it did look to be, but I couldn't see all the way back so it could just have been the front area that was full. So not sure!

• Like 2

I was so sorry to have missed last night.

Thanks so much for the reports of the tributes.

I do hope the company will bring back this magnificent ballet very soon.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I pray that Sadler's Wells picked up sales for Hobson's Choice from that which I saw when I last looked at the seating chart on Thursday.  

Sadly, sales didn't pick up much, probably not helped by the heatwave yesterday. It's a real shame as Hobson's Choice is such a lovely ballet with real heart and soul; and with much comedy and many nods to our balletic heritage. I enjoyed the performances last night particularly of Lachlan Monaghan, Rory McKay and the three leading ladies, Downs, Purkiss and Matthews. It was great to see Marion Tait as Mrs. Hepworth (originally Anita Landa's role) - and what a wonderful Maggie she was all those years ago. But, I do miss the original cast and it was lovely to spot some of them in the theatre. Nice tribute to Bintley at the end.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Sadly, sales didn't pick up much

That is most regrettable indeed.  I so hope the house had been full at the Hippodrome for Bintley's farewell.  I'm sure it must have been.  After such a long tenure there must have been so, so many people wanting to pay their respects.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

After such a long tenure there must have been so, so many people wanting to pay their respects.  

Well, quite a few of us chose last night at Sadlers Wells to do that.

• Like 3

What a delightful ballet this is; genuinely funny at times, as well as tender & moving (I was strongly reminded of Fille, Two Pigeons & The Dream at times).

Like bridiem I was in the second circle (row B too!) & although the front section was quite full, I think I spotted quite a few empty seats at the back. A shame, as it really was a very enjoyable theatrical evening even without the special guests, speeches and flowers for David Bintley.

I do hope that the ballet is revived from time to time in the future. 

• Like 8

First circle was fairly full, but admittedly many were special guests, lots of very familiar faces. 

So glad I took the family. 

Am smiling at the memory of the cymbal player in the Salvation Army dance!! 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, hfbrew said:

First circle was fairly full, but admittedly many were special guests, lots of very familiar faces. 

So glad I took the family. 

Am smiling at the memory of the cymbal player in the Salvation Army dance!! 

Yes! And I don't think I've ever laughed out loud so often during a ballet.

• Like 5

The Stalls were pretty full, I was right at the back and there were only a few spaces. 

Fabulous night of dancing and a very special tribute and flower throw ( carnations ) for David Bintley. And people did sing The Lily Of Laguna although I didn’t know it so just listened 😀

The words were printed in the cast sheet !

I thought the £5 programme excellent value with lots of tributes to David Bintley from various dancers such as Robert Parker and Elisha Willis . 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ianlond said:

What a delightful ballet this is; genuinely funny at times, as well as tender & moving (I was strongly reminded of Fille, Two Pigeons & The Dream at times).

David Bintley often mentioned in talks and at doooos that he wanted to create a ballet that had the "Two Pigeons" effect.

I don't think he realised that he had done exactly that with this wonderful creation.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ianlond said:

And the Salvation Army girls reminded me of Les Patineurs. 

• Like 4

Just now, Darlex said:

And the Salvation Army girls reminded me of Les Patineurs. 

I was thinking - there's something so comforting about the brown furniture, turn-of-the-century, middle class English setting. Perhaps it's down to early exposure to Mary Poppins and My Fair Lady/Pygmalion - either of which would make a pretty good ballet, now I think of it, with accents translated into styles of dance in the latter case.

• Like 5

Is this ballet available on DVD?  Or in full on YouTube?  Having read this thread, I am dying to see it, as I never have!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sim said:

Is this ballet available on DVD?  Or in full on YouTube?  Having read this thread, I am dying to see it, as I never have!

Just looked on Amazon - only very expensive used ones.

6 hours ago, Ianlond said:

Like bridiem I was in the second circle (row B too!) & although the front section was quite full, I think I spotted quite a few empty seats at the back.

I noticed Philip Feeney in the second circle - quality over quantity :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Just looked on Amazon - only very expensive used ones.

😥😥

Surely it must be available on DVD?  I think I have it on VHS.

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Surely it must be available on DVD?  I think I have it on VHS.

It has been but doesn't seem to be available now.

I think I possibly recorded it off the telly many years ago ? But my then toddler son wore it out constantly fast forwarding to the clog dances. He was with us last night and we all agree that it was far better than we remembered it!! 

• Like 1

A very nostalgic evening with superb performances a fitting send off for David.

it was nice to see in the audience some of the original cast , Anita Landa , Samira Saidi (I agree with two pigeons a stunning lady) Alain Dubreuil,Steven Wicks .

the company had a farewell party at the Shakespeare the pub behind the theatre before travelling back to Brum 

• Like 6

I did wonder.  Just like old times ...  Have they still got all the dancers' signed photos up in there?

• Like 1