English Youth Ballet - Can someone please explain?

Spamcat

Hi, I am trying to find out more info about English Youth Ballet as I keep reading about it on here but I can't find much info on their website. Can anyone please explain?

Is it a weekly class or do you just do a set number of classes then 1 performance?

If a set number roughly how long does it last and how many classes are there?

What day is it usually on? Would it clash with Saturday associate classes?

Thanks in advance!

DS will be doing York, 11 rehearsal days, 2 stage rehearsals and 3 performances. Mostly during the summer holidays and Saturday and Sunday rehearsals in September. Plus performances Friday and Saturday. He does 2 associates and if the timings stay the same should miss 1 from each! If it had been term time it wouldn't have been possible, I don't think!

• Like 1

Thanks @dancingboy65 I am surprised it clashes with associate classes at all because surely they want associates to apply. My DD is at Elmhurst which is very early so maybe it would be later in the day. What time/how long are the rehearsals normally?

15 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Thanks @dancingboy65 I am surprised it clashes with associate classes at all because surely they want associates to apply. My DD is at Elmhurst which is very early so maybe it would be later in the day. What time/how long are the rehearsals normally?

It's a practical issue - they usually rehearse in local schools and dancers quite often travel a fair way for each Production so inevitably they need to rehearse at weekends. With there being quite a few Productions each year all over the country it's not possible for all rehearsals to be in school holidays, with the probable exception of summer holiday events. For example last year my DDs did Swan Lake in August and it was two consecutive weeks of Monday - Friday rehearsals followed by the following week Thursday night run through on the stage, then dress rehearsal Friday afternoon, first performance Friday night and two more performances on the Saturday.

More recently DD1 performed in Oxford. The performance schedule was the same but rehearsals were Fri-Sun early May, then Weds-Sun of half term, then Fri-Sun of the first weekend in June (the week before the Performance).

DD1 is at Tring CBA and as it's fortnightly she only had to miss one Sunday. DD2 is at Central and would have had to miss too many Saturdays to make it feasible.

• Like 1

Hi @Spamcat, my niece did it last year and with a performance in May half term. The schedule was something like, audition Feb,  then rehearsal on a Saturday afternoon (her age group) for a bit, then some intensive days a bit nearer time. if there is a holiday then they put a lot in the holiday. 

they usually give you the schedule when you apply (I think) I could be wrong! DD hoping to do next year but we will have same prob as you I’m guessing! x

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Spamcat said:

I am surprised it clashes with associate classes at all because surely they want associates to apply.

Just to say EYB isn’t normally short of applicants and they are passionate about bringing their performance and training opportunity to more rural areas where quite a lot will not be associates 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2019 at 20:49, Spamcat said:

Hi, I am trying to find out more info about English Youth Ballet as I keep reading about it on here but I can't find much info on their website. Can anyone please explain?

Is it a weekly class or do you just do a set number of classes then 1 performance?

If a set number roughly how long does it last and how many classes are there?

What day is it usually on? Would it clash with Saturday associate classes?

Thanks in advance!

@SpamcatI can post the Newcastle schedule to give you an idea if that it helpful? 

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your replies everyone, it sounds doable if it was close enough to the associate centre as it sounds like most classes are in the afternoon.

@Astrid yes we will be in the same boat, I think I'll let her settle in at Elmhurst first before I look at it. It just sounds fantastic though as she is desperate to be on the stage and while she has had lots of fantastic lessons she has had no chance to dance on stage yet.

@TinyNEDancer that would be very helpful to see a schedule thank you!

Xx

@Spamcat

this is York:

REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE DATES 2019

Mon 22nd July (Casting Day and Press Photos after school)

Wed 28th- Sat 31st Aug Sun 1st September  (5 Days)

Sat 14th Sun 15th September (2 Days) Fri 20th Sat 21st Sun 22nd September (3 Days)

Thurs 26th September (in the theatre after school)

Friday 27th September Dress Reh/Eve Performance.

Saturday 28th September  Mat & Eve Performance

this is Newcastle: 

REHEARSAL AND PERFORMANCE DATES 2019

Tuesday 4th June (Casting & Press Photos after school) 

Fri 21st Sat 22nd Sun 23rd June (3 days) Fri 28th Sat 29th Sun 30th June (3 Days)

Fri 5th Sat 6th Sun 7th July (3 Days)

In the Theatre  Wedneday 10th July ( Eve Rehearsal ) 

Thursday  11th July Dress Reh/Eve Performance.

Friday 12th July  Mat & Eve Performance

• Like 2

With English Youth Ballet,  it really is a case of wait until they advertise for your region and then if you email you will be sent details of rehearsals and performances - possibly with some TBC. Wolverhampton, Oxford and I think Swindon are places they have performed in the past - they don't do every year in every location - more like a rotation of 2-3 years.

Rehearsal times will vary greatly. I know my DD never managed it as although geographically we were theoretically ok, in practice too many 'after school' rehearsals' starting at 4:30pm would have meant too many Friday afternoons off school for us. Depends on time of year too -1st 2 weeks in September when starting a new school not ideal and nor around GCSE time.

If you are after something that can usually be combined with Elmhurst, keep a look out for Midland Theatre Ballet. They run a weekly class/rehearsal leading up to theatre performance. Its over 8-9 months of the year and I suspect you are too late for this year but you could investigate for next time

• Like 2

ETB around GCSE time is a brilliant idea!  It reduces stress and gives a student an opportunity to do something they love and not be stressed out.  It benefited my DD when she did Lady Bluebird with scholarship in Yeovil during the May Half Term over that time - we travelled from Worcester.  It took her away from the pressure people were trying to put on her at school, attending the 'compulsory'' revision classes during the half term would have tipped her stress over the edge and, despite us not conforming to the school expectations, she had a great set of exam results.  It was her final opportunity, at 16, to perform with EYB which was the best dancing experience ever.  She is now 28 and went on to study at London Contemporary Dance School and was the top ballet student throughout her time at the school.  Can't recommend, or praise the EYB experience enough! 

Heather

aka Taximom

• Like 2

As a PP says, you just have to wait until EYB are in your area and look at the schedule at the time. The rehearsals are never entirely predictable as they depend on factors such as availability of the venue, which is generally a local school, and travel times for the EYB team. They often have 3 productions on the go  in different parts of the country at once - one at the audition stage, one near the beginning of rehearsals and one approaching performance - logistics must be very challenging.  So until the details for your particular production are finalised you cant know for sure. My DD did EYB 4 times and the schedule was slightly different each time. Some had more weekends and others more days in school holidays depending on the time of year.

EYB is a great experience but it can be hard work, with long days especially for younger children and particularly if you have a lot if travel involved too. They cram a lot of work into a relatively short time. Seeing the change from audition to final performance is one of the best things from the parental point of view. But for that reason, they do expect pretty much full commitment for the programme. Miss Lewis will accept occasional unavoidable absences but she gets annoyed - quite understandably in my opinion - if dancers are persistently late or missing due overcommitment. A lot can be missed in one session and as well as making it harder for the individual who was missing it is unfair on the dancers who are there as they are learning with a gap or inderstudy.( Its also tough on the understudies in fact.) Missing a couple of sessions can significantly impact on the quality of a dance. 

I know its tempting to sign up for everything and hope you can manage to squeeze it all in but sometimes its best to pick a smaller number of programmes, do them really well and ensure sufficient rest. Over the years I have seen (and sometimes been!) so many families who are leaving one activity early to arrive at another one slightly late, stressed, tired and always playing catch up and I've concluded that that is not good for anyone. If you can fit it in, EYB is a fantastic experience, but i would advise seriously 

assessing the commitment if you have associates to fit in already.

• Like 2

You make a very good point there Pups_mum. I have had to learn to say no to things, which hasn’t always been easy,  but in the long run has make a positive difference......Not just to the frazzled mum and the dancer in the family but to the poor souls who are always in the back of the car or who end out missing out on their hobbies because there’s a dancer in the house! 

We found it easier to treat EYB as a summer school the second time dd did it.  Fortunately, it was within travelling distance the year it was a summer performance but I know people who travelled to it during the summer wherever it was, stayed nearby for a holiday just as if it were a summer course. 

Being an associate definitely made it more difficult during the termtime performances so you could consider seeing where they are during the summer holidays and tying in a holiday.  

It’s a really wonderful and worthwhile experience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jete Battu said:

What is the standard of dance like for those who take part and do they get a decent amount of stage time each if there are around 100 dancers taking part? 

Overall, it’s a lovely production, mainly children from local ballet schools. There’s a whole range of dance standards I think. Dd was disappointed in year 5 at the limited stage time and there was a lot of  waiting around during rehearsals. I should have probably spent the money on private lessons or a summer holiday! She has tried her luck again since then in the older age group and got a good part. 

7 hours ago, Piccolo said:

Overall, it’s a lovely production, mainly children from local ballet schools. There’s a whole range of dance standards I think. Dd was disappointed in year 5 at the limited stage time and there was a lot of  waiting around during rehearsals. I should have probably spent the money on private lessons or a summer holiday! She has tried her luck again since then in the older age group and got a good part. 

Thank you, thats interesting to know. My DD is Yr 6 and has been offered a scholarship. She’s torn between accepting that or dancing with the BRB which rehearses at the same time so she’s unlikely to be able to do both. We wondered if the scholarship children tended to get a good part or whether as a ‘younger’ dancer she still wouldn’t get much stage time. These are a first for us so we know very little about the process.

11 minutes ago, Jete Battu said:

Thank you, thats interesting to know. My DD is Yr 6 and has been offered a scholarship. She’s torn between accepting that or dancing with the BRB which rehearses at the same time so she’s unlikely to be able to do both. We wondered if the scholarship children tended to get a good part or whether as a ‘younger’ dancer she still wouldn’t get much stage time. These are a first for us so we know very little about the process.

I think there is a level playing field on casting day, but if a child has been awarded a scholarship they obviously stand out. My DD was only 9 when she did EYB, but was a cygnet in Swan Lake which was a really lovely role. All children are in two of the three acts. We have no experience of BRB though, but that sounds amazing!

3 hours ago, Jete Battu said:

I am a big fan of EYB and I think that in my observation they do try hard to ensure all the children get seen. As obviously one of the stronger girls in her age group I would hazzard a guess tgat your DD would be likely to be cast in one of the smaller groups so whilst she might not be on stage for any longer than the chikdren in the larger groups you would see more of her, if that makes sense? But obviously thats just a guess based on my observations and experience.

What I would say though is that EYB is potentially a recurring opportunity for your DD, with multiple productions around the country every year and eligibility up to age 18. Can you say the same for dancing with the BRB or is that more likely to be a one off opportunity??

In your shoes, that would sway my decision considerably. EYB is a great organisation but the chance to dance with a professional company like BRB isn't something that comes to everyone..

• Like 1

@Pups_mumBRB are in our area every 2 years as I understand it. She has to choose ultimately - I’m trying hard not to be a pushy mum and obviously feel that a scholarship isn’t to be sniffed at - I just have to hope that she does so without regret. Having no experience of either, I appreciate your thoughts, thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many roughly usually audition (for EYB) and how many is then accepted? My DD recently auditioned in the junior audition and there were only 51 and about 33 were accepted. Is that a normal rate? I am worried that my DD was ”lucky” and will struggle and/or get minor roles and not benefit as much. She did audition for both RBS last yr and Elmhurst this yr but got “no”. By the sounds of earlier comments here EYB seems to be a great experience but it’s a big commitment for parents both money and  timewise. I am just not sure about it. 

EYB is a fantastic experience and personally I think worth the time and money. My DD performed with then 6 times in total. She gradually moved up the ranks and ended up with solo’s. In her last production with them she was invited to join the principals in their lessons with Miss Lewis. DD cannot thank EYB enough for everything she learnt with them. She has just finished vocational 6th and off to GSA in September to do Actor Musician degree. 

I will also add she did one performance with them in Yr 11, it was a great way of relaxing during herGCSE year, there were several of them in the same situation. Her last performance with them was just before her auditions this academic year. 

Thank you, @Pointetoes thats really encouraging to hear. Maybe this will be the start of some wonderful things for my DD with them too 🤞🏻 Good luck to your DD for her studies in September 🍀 Mine starts Prep1 Associates with Central having only been offered SWL for RBS Mids this year. Pastures new for her all round 👍🏻

Where we live the auditions are always just before DD's birthday so she managed to get an EYB place as a junior a few weeks before her 12th birthday. She will audition next year just before her 14th birthday. Not sure what will happen when she's almost 16 and the EYB rehearsals will start in the June when she will have GCSEs. She really enjoyed it and made lots of friends.