Royal Ballet School summer performance

Can I ask whether anyone has been to see the School's summer performance and what it is like? There are some tickets available and I was thinking of booking, but am not sure what to expect (esp as I don't have a family member on stage!)

Many thanks

18 minutes ago, MJW said:

Can I ask whether anyone has been to see the School's summer performance and what it is like? There are some tickets available and I was thinking of booking, but am not sure what to expect (esp as I don't have a family member on stage!)

Many thanks

It's a no-brainer. You will love it.

This year's programme has, I think, Ashton's La Valse and Paquita as two of the pieces to be danced. I would go to watch the Defile alone - this is where all the RBS students dance onto the stage in their year groups to music from Etudes.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

It's a no-brainer. You will love it.

Absolutely - there were a number of good Stalls/Stalls Circle seats available this morning but I see they’ve been snapped up.  It really is a fabulous experience.

• Like 2

I got a last minute ticket for this last week when in the box office for something else was very lucky as earlier that day was showing sold out so am very pleased 

Watching the students is always a joy and can be very moving as well on occasions.

Off-topic, but I caught Ballet Central this weekend on their tour: substantial excerpts from MacMillan's House of Birds and Ashton's Valses Nobles et Sentimentales as well as a wonderful dance to tunes from Carousel. It was very well done and, again, very moving to see them all as they prepare to go out into the world. Only a few dates left this year; I'll certainly be going next year and would urge others to do so (https://www.balletcentral.co.uk/ontourpage2.php). The programme ran for an hour or so including an interval while they got the set ready for Carousel Dances.

I spent House of Birds rather starstruck as Philip Feeney (Cathy Marston's usual composer and Central's Music Director) was providing the accompaniment a few yards away from me. He was very warm in his applause at the end, like a proud father!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I spent House of Birds rather starstruck as Philip Feeney (Cathy Marston's usual composer and Central's Music Director) was providing the accompaniment a few yards away from me. He was very warm in his applause at the end, like a proud father!

It's always a joy to watch Philip Feeney!

• Like 1