Insurance for dance pupils

Mrs Butterfly

Hello, just looking for some advice and shared experience on the topic of insurance for dance pupils. My DD will be going into year 7 in September, and we have been advised that we should have health insurance. The school do have a policy available and this includes so many sessions with the physio, if needed. I am trying to decide what to do, she will be a day pupil, so do we need it? As we will obviously be able to quickly source medical help if needed. I am in the process of making my own enquiries for cover for her, but just wondered if any dance mums and dads had been in the same position and what you did. I want to do the right thing, so would welcome any advice, experience or thoughts. Thank you x

I have researched my own and full cover incl physio etc was available via AXA.  It was a fraction of the cost (monthly instalments) than what the school was asking us to pay. 

When I looked at the conditions of cover they have been identical.  

If we would stay to study in UK,  I would have my own cover for my DD.  

• Like 1

I found adding my DD onto my healthcare cover (with Aviva) was way cheaper with an added cost to my - already very expensive - premium of about an additional £23 per month. Much cheaper than the termly premium to join school policy. It also covers any additional dependant children (so great value had I another dozen kids 🤪 - just the one but nice to know cover there for them too if needed) I also see the cover is much more generous for physio (more sessions allowed) etc & no excess as far as I can tell....Very easy as upon telephone approval billing/payment etc was direct between Aviva & the Physio place. 

School did ask to have a copy of cover as proof & also worth checking a) level of cover & b) if the physio school uses is one supported by which ever provider you use.... (have heard for example that one insurance provider did not pay at one particular physio clinic but made one go to another on their list which could prove tricky if away at school/college for transport etc) 

Am sure a solo policy could also be possible - cross ref several providers on costs & level of cover for all areas - esp. physio as in our experience that will from time to time be required. Arguable that paying for those sessions independently could work out cheaper than a solo healthcare cover but a) school insists on cover & b) prudent should anything more in depth be required...

Peace of mind is ever more important when they are many miles from home as we are of course so lucky you keep them at home! 

Good luck!

• Like 1

We also added Dd to our personal policies (WPA heslthcare) -  much cheaper than the school option and very effective when we needed to use them for Physio. If you do have your own policy, it’s well worth looking at 

• Like 1

Is that quote just for your DD? If it is I would - if I were you - ask for a ‘gamily’ quote as it may not be much more to include more people.... young adults in full time education are then often covered for only a small monthly add on.... 

to give you an example, I pay about £133 a month.... the premium for fairly high cover for me is around £111 (I am over 50 so if you are younger I expect premium for you would be lower) with an additional c.£22 which covers both my DD and then son with no charge. 

So you may find it’s not much more to pay to get a lot more! Remember also that even with no claims they do tend to up the premium year on year....So again, if you start out just insuring your DD, as she gets into adulthood & wants to take over policy with continuing cover with this or another insurer costs could well start off higher than if she were a first time customer say at 21...

just a thought - hope not confusing things more 😬

Edited by Peanut68
Typos
  • Like 1

I have checked my email and AXA quote said £33.90 per month (386.46 annual)
My contact was Laura, i have explained whait we need (i.e. vocational ballet school requirements etc.)

Laura Ralph

Sales Executive

Individual Sales Centre

AXA PPP healthcare

Ground Floor

Eynsham House

Crescent Road

Tunbridge Wells

TN1 2PL

Tel: 0800 33 55 55  Ext.7344
laura.ralph@axa-ppp.co.uk

axappphealthcare.co.uk

35 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

I have checked my email and AXA quote said £33.90 per month (386.46 annual)
My contact was Laura, i have explained whait we need (i.e. vocational ballet school requirements etc.)

Laura Ralph

Sales Executive

Individual Sales Centre

AXA PPP healthcare

Ground Floor

Eynsham House

Crescent Road

Tunbridge Wells

TN1 2PL

Tel: 0800 33 55 55  Ext.7344
laura.ralph@axa-ppp.co.uk

axappphealthcare.co.uk

Thanks for sharing  - was that a policy just for your daughter, or an addition to include her on to your existing policy? 

I’m paying just under £1000 a year for  the school’s policy at the mo, could do with reducing it  😳

Edited by margarite

Well I might need to rethink our arrangements!! Maybe relook at my own cover too as foolishly I have not ‘shopped around’ or compared the market for years!! 

Edited by Peanut68
Trigger happy too soon!

15 hours ago, margarite said:

Thanks for sharing  - was that a policy just for your daughter, or an addition to include her on to your existing policy? 

I’m paying just under £1000 a year for  the school’s policy at the mo, could do with reducing it  😳

It was stand alone her own policy.  Quoted for 15 years old (price last year June). They have adjusted the policy I.e removed what she will not need and added packages that she will. They are very flexible. Cover was identical to the one offered by vocational ballet school when I read it.

My DD policy is £41 pm with AXA and was cheaper than we paid as part of school policy in past. Unfortunately we don't have cover to add her to.

You can get cheaper but consider carefully whether cheaper options are worthwhile. Some cheaper options I would avoid are

Limited numbers of physio sessions

A limited list of Drs/hospitals you can use

Any policy which only kicks in if you're not seen in a particular length of time by NHS

Make sure all investigations are included as well as outpatient and inpatient care.

No limit on claims

Include psychiatric care

HTH

• 2 years later...

Hi I’m looking at taking our an insurance policy for my daughter who is starting a degree at a ballet school in September. She will be 18. 

would anyone be able to let me know the basics I need to make sure are covered on the policy please and which company would people recommend as offering the best 

thanks 

Can you clarify what insurance you are referring to?

Fees? Health? Property? 
You say it’s a school not a University? They may offer personal effects or a health policy you can pay to join (rates etc may be cheaper if it’s  a group policy)Also check on your own household as it may cover items out of home for differing periods (eg. 90 days which might cover belongings a term at a time) or family health policies as often cheaper to add on offspring in full time education rather than them have individual policy.

Id start by checking in with the school/accommodation provider first & ask what current 18+ pupils tend to do. Could also differ if you are from overseas rather than UK

• Like 1

So, check if school offer or recommend a specific policy or provider - is it included as an add on option to fees or included in any funding? If taking our own insurance check with school if they offer in house physio/medical & if charged & if the latter, is it claimable from most/some insurance providers (they are not all equal; eg. some physios will be covered by some insurance companies & not by others) Also, check allowances which may be x amount or x number of visits for physio, some may include tests such as MRI but some may still charge for those.

Good luck to your DD