Nehemiah Kish retiring from The Royal Ballet

Just going back to Nehemiah Kish, I've always felt he was a very understated and under publicised principal but I have always enjoyed his performances.  Most recently in Frankenstein, Romeo and Juliet and the Firebird, but going back I remember that he partnered Marianela in her first performances in Manon. 

I sat next to him at a Ballet Association dinner several years ago now and he was charming and like many of the dancers, unassuming. I asked him about partnering in Manon and in particular the final pdd, and how difficult this might be. He said "tricky", which is a phrase I have always remembered and comes to my mind whenever I see the pdd.  He also commented on what a responsibility it was to partner Marianela in this situation, to ensure that it all went well for her. I loved that. 

I agree with everyone that it's also really nice to recognise other dancers who are retiring after many years service, as it is in any place of work. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Josephine said:

Was she given a special curtain call after The Firebird on Thu 13 June? This is assuming that she danced a principal role in that cast as she did when I saw their earlier performance.

I'm sure I remember an onstage presentation for Hikaru Kobayashi (by Federico Bonelli) and also a special solo curtain call for Deirdre Chapman, at their respective final performances as First Soloists.

But I presume it is always possible that any dancer may prefer to have a low key farewell in public?

She did at least get a bouquet & the other dancers were applauding her after it was presented. Edit: pics removed after I found @bangorballetboyhad posted a better one on the triple bill thread. I should give up trying to share my curtain call pics as everyone else always gets much better ones.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

I too was a little surprised Crawford wasn’t mentioned on the ROH website. Surely they would have known at the same time as Kish’s announcement, and particularly as they shared the same last performance - I imagine some avid dance fans may have wanted to order some flowers for example had they been given more notice. Even if a simple line or two at the end of Kish’s announcement acknowledging her time with the RB and wishing her well (but perhaps they felt this may have been tacked on and detracted from Kish, so if not the same level of announcement perhaps they though not to bother?). At least she got a curtain call and recognition on stage (well done to Calvert for that).

As an aside re Kobayashi, I have to say I’ve found it a bit odd that she continued to appear in programmes following her retirement - not to say she didn’t deserve a place there, more she has clearly retired so why did the programmes present her as if she is still currently performing with the RB? I understand she was part of the 18/19 season so that must be the reason but I thought it was odd that she remained in programmes for winter/spring/summer months after as she left so early on. Especially as her bio didn’t reflect her retirement (ironically if it had they probably would have removed it!).

Some dancers (including ones who have left) have had their names listed as Guest Artists for a whole season even though their appearances have occurred relatively early.

I don't know this but it feels to me as if there is a 'conversation' with dancers leaving from the higher echelons of the Company within which the handling of their departure is agreed.

15 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I should give up trying to share my curtain call pics as everyone else always gets much better ones.

I think it’s great that people post their pictures, which might well cover different angles.  And I’m afraid it now looks as if I ‘like’ the fact that you’ve removed your photos.  I’d say carry on posting!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Some dancers (including ones who have left) have had their names listed as Guest Artists for a whole season even though their appearances have occurred relatively early.

I don't know this but it feels to me as if there is a 'conversation' with dancers leaving from the higher echelons of the Company within which the handling of their departure is agreed.

Yes, I can see for example why Soares would still be listed in programmes as a Principal (even though he's now technically a Guest Principal) as he will still have some relationship/performances with the RB going forward.

I don't believe Kobayashi has  performed, or either become or guest artist or has intentions of future performances (though of course she may do and it's not like I would have that information). I just think its odd to have someone who has quite clearly retired, has no future performances scheduled, to still be in the programme as if she were a currently performing dancer but appreciate this is a very minor thing so it's probably not worth thinking about it too much! 

It would be good to know/assume that there is some discussion between management/dancers about their farewell etc. In fairness perhaps Crawford wanted it to be kept reasonably quiet and if that was her preference then of course it would be wrong for management to then make a big thing out of it. 

Wishing both Kish and Crawford the best for their future, and thanks for their many years of dedication and hard work to the RB/ROH.

Also @Dawnstar I very much agree with John re sharing pics - the more the better for the variety! 

• Like 1

I seem to remember someone on this forum saying that they'd been told that the bios (and therefore perhaps the existence of a bio?) are not updated until the end of the season. No doubt for cost reasons.

4 hours ago, JNC said:

As an aside re Kobayashi, I have to say I’ve found it a bit odd that she continued to appear in programmes following her retirement - not to say she didn’t deserve a place there, more she has clearly retired so why did the programmes present her as if she is still currently performing with the RB? I understand she was part of the 18/19 season so that must be the reason but I thought it was odd that she remained in programmes for winter/spring/summer months after as she left so early on.

That is odd.  I know it's standard for the list of company members at the beginning of the programmes to remain the same throughout the year, but I've just checked my Les Patineurs programme from December - the only one I've bought this year - and she's still in that.  Either an oversight, or do they apply the same policy to the bios, and it hasn't really cropped up before because the programmes only used to mention the people involved in major roles in that production, rather than everyone in the company - or possibly nobody got around to updating the bio layout?

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I seem to remember someone on this forum saying that they'd been told that the bios (and therefore perhaps the existence of a bio?) are not updated until the end of the season. No doubt for cost reasons.

Yet some people have different photos, Leticia Dias, for example

Edited by Rob S

4 hours ago, alison said:

That is odd.  I know it's standard for the list of company members at the beginning of the programmes to remain the same throughout the year, but I've just checked my Les Patineurs programme from December - the only one I've bought this year - and she's still in that.  Either an oversight, or do they apply the same policy to the bios, and it hasn't really cropped up before because the programmes only used to mention the people involved in major roles in that production, rather than everyone in the company - or possibly nobody got around to updating the bio layout?

I can understand why bios may not be updated throughout the year (because really how much can change I suppose, and the additional admin etc) but how difficult would it have been for someone in their marketing/PR/HR team whoever to simply delete one person out of the programme? Especially as they are updated for each run with guest choreographers/artists specific to that programme/performance (e.g. Monica Mason as guest coach in the Firebird programme). 

Like I said earlier, it's not the worst thing in the world and hardly worth noting on some levels, but on other levels it's almost as if her retirement hasn't been noted/recognised? I find it incredibly surprising that she appeared in Winter, Autumn and Summer programmes! And from the perspective of someone who is relatively new to ballet and enjoying seeing various cast members, I have to say initially I was confused that Kobayashi hadn't appeared in anything I'd seen, and it's only when I looked her up online that her ROH page noted her as retired, so they managed to update that page/bio! Very minor niggle but then when you pay £8 for a programme you expect it to represent a certain level of information factually/correctly. 

As an aside, whilst I do find the programmes rather expensive, I do think they are good value for money compared to other programmes in theatre/west end etc. I think it's quite well put together, the paper is of good quality and red design remains consistent, and the highlight is the photographs, especially backstage ones of rehearsal, and the articles are generally quite insightful and I enjoy having a memento of the evening(s). I certainly feel they could add in more interviews/insights from dancers however as well as the odd 'heritage' photo of dancers who have retired dancing in the production. I do hope they don't raise the price further though, and ensure content remains of high quality with advertising only in select places.

Sorry for going off-topic anyway, this issue shouldn't bother me next year when they (hopefully!) update the programme with correct members of the RB accordingly. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 1

My assumption was that dancers who have left or retired during the season remain in the programme because the programme is not just a record of that performance or run but of the season and company as a whole. You could therefore see removing them part of the way through as actively disrespectful.

• Like 1