BRB Summer Season - Birmingham and Sadler’s Wells

Thanks for posting Pulcinella.  I'm a bit surprised that Mathias Dingman hasn't been cast since his success as Gabriel Oak several years ago.

I would hope that they've at least got someone in brackets in case any of the cast get injured during the Hobson's run.  Hopefully that WILL NOT happen.

Funnily enough I guessed and am thrilled that Max is also doing Will Mossop.  He and Lachlan are 2 of my favourite male BRB dancers at the moment but they are so very different in style.  I'm so excited to see both of them as Will.

Of course there are 4 more substantial roles for Maggie's 2 sisters and their beaux and the Salvation Army segment is a meaty solo too.  

• Like 2

I am pretty cheesed off that I have booked two performances and they are both with Max Maslan and Beatrice Parma.  Absolutely NO offence to them but I really did feel that the occasion of Bintley's farewell would have warranted the first cast.

My husband is adamant he won't take a third time.  Incidentally, I agree with Janet's disappointment that Mathias Dingman has not been cast.  I supposed that as there are so few performances the casts are restricted to two.  

I was really hoping to see both casts for the Salvation Army bit too!

I agree Two Pigeons that I also would have expected the first cast to be on on the Saturday evening. Like you I also have two performances booked with the Parma/Maslen cast and would like to have seen both casts. As I’m having to travel to B’ham for the Saturday evening I may book for the matinee to see the other cast.

• Like 1

While I understand what you are both saying, Pulcinella and 2 Pigeons, I think Beatrice Parma is likely to be outstanding. She is an excellent classical dancer (will/would make an outstanding Odette) and is equally talented in dramatic roles. At least both Wills are proper Yorkshire lads- pity the 3rd one isn't cast, but Brandon is bound to be a suitor. I, too, am disappointed that there are only 2 casts, have booked 3 performances in Birmingham but would have booked 5 if there had been more choice.

• Like 1

I would love to have been able to get to the Saturday night at the Wells but this is totally impractical for me these days.  Having been to the opening night at the ROH, the first night in Birmingham, the last performance of SWRB in Liverpool, Karen Donovan's last in Plymouth amongst others I would have loved to have completed the cycle with the very last showing.  Added to that I would have had the opportunity to see the other cast.

I have absolutely no qualms about the excellence of both casts but I had been looking forward to seeing Lachlan in the role for over a year now.

At the end of the day, Que Sera Sera.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Would I be right in thinking that Samara Downs & Lachlan Monaghan are the couple in the trailer & publicity photos for this?

They are the dancers in the trailer but in the initial publicity photographs it is Lachlan with Beatrice Parma.

Both casts are absolutely scintillating.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

They are the dancers in the trailer but in the initial publicity photographs it is Lachlan with Beatrice Parma.

Both casts are absolutely scintillating.

Thanks. I really liked the look of Downs & Monaghan in the trailer, but on the other hand the Saturday matinee would be easier for me to get to than the Friday evening. Hmm...

• Like 1

The full casting is now up for Hobson's Choice.

They are really rolling out the red carpet for the Salvation Army!  

I can't wait to see this wonderful ballet next week - it really is Bintley's masterpiece and I actually find it appropriate that this marks his final weeks in charge of Birmingham Royal Ballet.

https://www.brb.org.uk/whats-on/event/hobsons-choice

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The full casting is now up for Hobson's Choice.

They are really rolling out the red carpet for the Salvation Army! 

I'm amazed that there are two people in the first cast, Jonathan Payn & Marion Tait, who were in the cast of the Nutcracker the only time I've previously seen BRB way back in 1994! Do the Salvation Army have large roles in the ballet?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm amazed that there are two people in the first cast, Jonathan Payn & Marion Tait, who were in the cast of the Nutcracker the only time I've previously seen BRB way back in 1994! Do the Salvation Army have large roles in the ballet?

It's a virtuoso piece in the park scene in Act 2 so it's great to look at but not a long segment.

• Like 2

Interesting then that there are so many principals/first soloists doing that when 3 of the 4 leads are soloists/first artists. Though not having seen the rest of the season I don't know how the workload has been shared out. Maybe the principals are glad to have an easy assignment for the end of the season!

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Interesting then that there are so many principals/first soloists doing that when 3 of the 4 leads are soloists/first artists. Though not having seen the rest of the season I don't know how the workload has been shared out. Maybe the principals are glad to have an easy assignment for the end of the season!

I would assume David Bintley has cast whom he thought appropriate in the leading roles.  There are 6 great dancing leads in this ballet - Will Mossop, Maggie Hobson, Vicky Hobson, Alice Hobson, Fred Beenstock and Albert Prosser plus Henry Hobson is a fabulous character role.  Then there is the Salvation Army section (IIRC - Miyako Yoshida led this section when she was still with BRB).

I saw a magnificent production of the play in Sheffield in 2011 starring Barry Rutter as Henry Hobson.  This was after I had seen BRB perform Hobson's Choice in Hong Kong in 2011 and before I saw them perform it in Birmingham in 2012.  If I didn't love the production enough before I grew to realise even more that it is a total masterpiece.  David Bintley has made such an intelligent production and he has managed to include not only the comedy but the pathos too.  He has also beautifully included the stillness and silence that is a feature of the play.

If you are not familiar with the story you could look to see if the ballet is still available to buy on DVD and/or watch the Charles Laughton/John Mills film.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

If you are not familiar with the story you could look to see if the ballet is still available to buy on DVD and/or watch the Charles Laughton/John Mills film.

I've not seen the pay. I've looked up the plot but I think I'd rather go & see BRB without watching any filmed versions first & see what I think of it live. Just dithering between Friday evening & Saturday matinee!

12 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I would assume David Bintley has cast whom he thought appropriate in the leading roles.  There are 6 great dancing leads in this ballet - Will Mossop, Maggie Hobson, Vicky Hobson, Alice Hobson, Fred Beenstock and Albert Prosser plus Henry Hobson is a fabulous character role.  Then there is the Salvation Army section (IIRC - Miyako Yoshida led this section when she was still with BRB).

I saw a magnificent production of the play in Sheffield in 2011 starring Barry Rutter as Henry Hobson.  This was after I had seen BRB perform Hobson's Choice in Hong Kong in 2011 and before I saw them perform it in Birmingham in 2012.  If I didn't love the production enough before I grew to realise even more that it is a total masterpiece.  David Bintley has made such an intelligent production and he has managed to include not only the comedy but the pathos too.  He has also beautifully included the stillness and silence that is a feature of the play.

Don't forget a certain Kevin O'Hare banging the drum and as one of the three men in the trio section.  I still think they will find it very hard to beat the utterly scene stealing Brandon Lawrence on the cymbals. 

• Like 3