The Royal Ballet: Margot Fonteyn - A Celebration, June 2019

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flickr was being a pain in the bottom and won’t let me get a link to post on here, so thanks Dawnstar 👍

I’m really pleased to see there is no mention of the on stage raffle that I dreamt about last night...it took up most of the first half!!😴🤪

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I’m really pleased to see there is no mention of the on stage raffle that I dreamt about last night...it took up most of the first half!!😴🤪

I’m intrigued now, as to what they were raffling?? 😂

2 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I’m intrigued now, as to what they were raffling?? 😂

Never got to that bit, just Mr O’Hare, a trestle table and a bucket 

• Like 1

Before seeing the programme, I had a stray fantasy that Darcey Bussell would come out and do Sylvia. But delighted to see her tango with Gary Avis. And Mayara Magri did a lovely job with one of my favourite pieces. 

My surprise and delight of the evening has to be Ondine. Have never seen it and Frankie Hayward was enchanting. Praying the RB will do the whole ballet soon 💙

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Naghdi and Muntagirov dancing together - I so wish I was there!

Are Morera and Sambe otherwise engaged? (Or I may have missed seeing them on the programme.)

Would love to see Yasmine and Vadim dance together......

They were wonderful, Sharon. Mr O’Hare, please give them Swan Lake next season!!

I thought this was a great evening and paid fitting tribute to Dame Margot.  More tomorrow. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Naghdi and Muntagirov dancing together - I so wish I was there!

Are Morera and Sambe otherwise engaged? (Or I may have missed seeing them on the programme.)

Morera was supposed to be dancing Daphnis and Chloe with Campbell but was replaced by O'Sullivan.

32 minutes ago, Candleque said:

My surprise and delight of the evening has to be Ondine. Have never seen it and Frankie Hayward was enchanting. Praying the RB will do the whole ballet soon 💙

I agree. That was the one where I now most want to see the full work based on the extract.

I very much enjoyed the divertissements part of the evening. Almost all the pieces were new to me (not R&J or SB) so I think I'd better leave it to those more expert to say how well they were performed.

• Like 2

Just home and (from my lay perspective) my favourite performances were Frankie Hayward's Ondine and Naghadi and Muntagirov's Corsaire.   Overall I really enjoyed the divertissements, but I have quite a short attention span at times and am rather fond of a crowd pleaser.

39 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Excellent gala, though the last piece (Apparitions) was a bit lame for me. 

Agreed, and I couldn't work out why they'd put it on last, until it made sense leading into the projection of Fonteyn's Salut D'Amour, accompanied by the ROH orchestra.  As an aside, I thought the orchestra were very good tonight.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

Personally I don't think that Yasmine and Vadim has a very matched line and style. I feel that Vadim matches better with Nela and Natalia. And Yasmine a better match with Ball.

I couldn't disagree more - both Yasmine and Vadim have the knack of making any partnership look fantastic - together, and wowser invoked!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, zxDaveM said:

I couldn't disagree more - both Yasmine and Vadim have the knack of making any partnership look fantastic - together, and wowser invoked!

Wot Dave said!

• Like 2

A lovely tribute to Prima Ballerina Assoluta Dame Margot Fonteyn.

The tango with Darcey Bussell and Gary Avis was fun and a pleasant surprise to see Darcey back on stage.

The biggest surprise of the evening was to see Vadim Muntagirov dance with Yasmine Naghdi (finally) in Le Corsaire (yes please Mr O'Hare cast them together in Swan Lake next season), Vadim amazing as always and Naghdi's fouettes impressive (with one arm up in the air - never seen anything like it), his partnering so light and easy, just wonderful. This is the first time ever they have danced together and I hope there will be more opportunities for them to dance together in the future.

Francesca Hayward (partnered by Watson) was really beautiful in Ondine and Anna-Rose o'Sullivan, partnered by Alexander Campbell, impressed me in Daphnis and Chloe.

Le Corsaire, Ondine and Daphnis and Chloe were my favourites.

I did not like Osipova's interpretation of Juliet at all. 

Edited by Xandra Newman
  • Like 3

Just got back (nice train journey with the drunks!) - lovely evening all round and I don;t think we will see that many principals dancing on the same night for some time. I'm glad I managed to get a last minute ticket especially as I haven't seen most of the pieces in the second half (save SB, Sylvia and R&J). I shall be interested to see how the Firebird compares on Thursday.

Lovely finale with Fonteyn and Ashton at the end.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

I did not like Osipova's interpretation of Juliet at all. 

Neither did I. 

Naghdi and Vadream danced briefly together in Winter Dreams but yes, this was their first meaty performance together.  More please!!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Well it is my personal opinion. I have attended Vadim's all 4 DQ performances and Symphony in C and 2 pigenons. Have seen him with Nela/Lauren/Natalia/Fumi and tonight with Yasmine. I felt that probably because of Yasmine's tall height. Vadim was a bit kept out when they stood together. But it is kind of personal preference. 

It is a  very enjoyable night and I had tears on my face at the end seeing Fonteyn dancing with Ashton

Some interesting details of tonight.

1 One of the R&J lift seemed not executed well. But the rest of dance were lovely performed by Hallberg and Osipova. 

2 La Corsaire: Y Naghdi danced the variation with music of Queen of the Dryads from Don Quixote and many steps were like Queen of the Dryads as well. I asked about it at stage door. And the answer was that Fonteyn performed this version.  The music seemed a bit rushed during the middle of the variation and Naghdi made a mistake at the first one of Grand Fouettes but well executed the rest. Vadim at the other hand, was spotless.

3 Durcey retired exactly 8 years on the same date here

I was a little surprised that M&A was not included in the program as it was a ballet created especially for Margot Fonteyn. 

• Like 3

Sorry about the double post above, which I am technically incapable of editing, but which proves I am old enough to have seen Margot on stage.

My script should have ended:

I will leave others to comment on individual performances, but I thought Frankie Hayward came close to capturing the essence of Margot in her magical performance of Ondine - it brought tears to my eyes.

image.png

• Like 11

Just got home after attending this memorable event.... can’t help but wish it had been a live cinema screening too as I imagine there would have been many many more people across the world who would have loved to have shared this event & ‘been there’ too.... albeit via the wonders of live broadcast. Especially the very many older ballet fans who in my experience frequent the ballet screenings; many would have watched Fonteyn perform I am quite sure & quite likely she was a pivotal part of igniting their love for ballet....I do hope there was filming that will be shared...???

Rob S, your raffle dream made me chuckle... although actually wouldn’t it have been appropriate to - in a discreet manner - use this performance to add to charity coffers? One of the charities/foundations where Fonteyn was a Patron? Or set up a new Fonteyn Centenery Fund to support say - for example - reviving ballers created on Fonteyn? Am sure very many of us there would happily have donated in whatever way (coins into buckets or..... drumroll.... buying raffle tickets!!) So pleased though that there was no trestle table, ticket pulling & Mr O’Hare calling numbers 🤣🤣

The company & orchestra were all sublime....a fitting tribute & actually how amazing would it be to have more special evenings with a collection of short pieces? A crowd pleaser & a great way to introduce  lesser known works & perhaps promote in advance of revivals or use as a ‘dummy run’ to gauge audience interest to see what could be most popular to schedule into future seasons programming? Just a few thoughts....

The audience reactions & engagement were far greater I thought than at a ‘usual night at a ballet’ so it was certainly a crowd pleaser!

I sadly never saw her dance but photos of Fonteyn dancing connected with me so movingly; her acting skills, artistry, beauty of line & passion just shine out from every image....lovely to see the large projections & quotes on screen & the framed pictures & memorabilia around the ROH. Am looking forward to reading through my programme.

Thank you RB & ROH!

But most especially, THANK YOU Margot Fonteyn for your priceless legacy of supreme talent, beauty & joy!

• Like 13

I want to echo the thoughts of li tai po above: the amount of work and effort and time that must have gone into organising this one-off programme at such a busy time is incredible. It was thrilling seeing extracts from Ashton works I have never seen, or not seen for a very long time, and from other more familiar works, and the dancers were clearly giving of their all. No point mentioning the highlights, because they were all highlights; though I did find Apparitions a little downbeat as a final piece (I didn't at the time appreciate that it was leading in to Salut d'amour).

Ending with the projection of Salut d'amour, in effect seeing Fonteyn dance it again on that stage, and then take Ashton's arm and walk off/towards us, was a stroke of genius and incredibly moving. It reduced me to tears (mainly of sorrow, because they are both gone, but also of love and gratitude).

• Like 9

As others have said above, a lovely and very special evening. 

Marianela was lovely in the Sleeping Beauty, but having never seen the RB's version before I have to say the costumes weren't to my taste (the men's were completely unflattering in rather horrible shades of brown, and Marianela's tutu looked cheap, a bright pink with glitter). However Marianela's dancing was executed perfectly as you would expect, and with the history of SB it had to be included. 

Stix-Brunell was good in Nocturne, as was Pajdak in Wise Virgins - nice to see both of these two getting solos and whilst rather short pieces, good to add to the variety and works that aren't seen anymore . 

Birthday Offering was lovely. Kaneko technically confident and her smile always wins me over. Lamb and Hirano so so elegant in their pdd, moments were they were completely in sync with their movements were just glorious and having not seen Lamb properly before it certainly made me want to book for her in future! I hope they bring Birthday Offering back for the 20/21 season as I feel this evening demonstrates that RB now have at least 7 dancers who are capable of doing this justice, and how lovely would it be to see that variety again (similar to this evening with its many divertissements). 

Ondine, well wow was Hayward beautiful and glorious. As someone else has commented I felt she came closest to capturing Margot in this piece tonight, how lovely and what beautiful dancing and emotion. To b honest Watson didn't do much but nice to see him on stage again. Controversially I have to say despite the beauty of Hayward here, the plot didn't do a lot for me so I think I'm one of the few that wouldn't be clamouring for a revival but I'm willing to be proved wrong! 

Sylvia was brilliant and I really hope this comes back for the 20/21 season as it's something I haven't seen before and this brief flavour makes me want to! Magri, whilst I haven't been a fan of hers in the past, was very good in this. I have to be picky and say I noticed Calvert in the back was able to raise her leg higher but Magri was very confident, and some of her jumps were very high (a bit osipova) and her strength of character came through well. 

Daphnis and Chloe may have been my favourite of the night. Sad to see Morera wasn't able to dance, but what a worthy replacement in Anna-Rose O'Sullivan. Her dancing was perfect, real emotion and not a single wrong step. Just pure delicacy and Campbell partnered well. I felt very moved by it all and whilst I already admired O'Sullivan, this proves she can do the 'deeper' more 'adult' roles and she is definitely the one to watch for me in future with regard to debuts and new opportunities. 

Having seen Osipova/Hallberg in RJ a week ago, I was slightly disappointed it was them again rather than some variety (and I felt their performance whilst it had potential lacked a little something when I saw it). However, I don't know if I was not in the mood when I saw them before, or if something else has changed/developed (which seems unlikely, all I can think is Hallberg's additional rehearsal time plus perhaps me being won over by them in A  Month in the Country) but I really enjoyed their balcony pdd. Yes Hallberg still seemed to struggle a little with some of the lifts but he brought a level of emotion I didn't feel I saw in the full-length and he just seemed to have more stage presence and true harmony with Osipova. Osipova isn't everyone's cup of tea (it always interests me that she seems to divide opinion more than any other ballerina on here, truly marmite - perhaps it's her Bolshoi training) but I found her brilliant her - her facial expressions always convey such emotion (which is what I feel some on here don't like) but I feel even if she's not your favourite, you can't fault her technique. Similarly to 'A Month', I'm glad I saw them again as it went some way to redeeming their partnership for me as I was disappointed in the full length RJ, but this shows what they are capable of. 

Facade - not much to say here apart from what a clever surprise from KOH to bring back Darcey! And that 360 turn which was executed so quickly and with such humour from Avis and Darcey. A nice break from the heavy ballets and added to the variety of the evening. Audience enjoyed the humour here and seemed very pleased to see Darcey back.

Le Corsaire - wow what a crowd pleaser and definitely makes the argument for more evenings like this in future (with samplings of ballets and divertissements). Vadim always amazes me how high and quick he can jump, all the while looking effortless and assured. Utter perfection and he probably got the loudest applause of the evening! Naghdi was excellent too, one small slip as others have mentioned but an impressive recovery and just goes to show how difficult all of this actually is - which sounds obvious but when it's executed so brilliantly 99% of the time it's easy to forget! I'm so glad they included this and look forward to seeing ENB's production next January in London. I know some people don't like Le Corsaire but this makes me feel the RB should revive it - even if not the whole thing, one act (like Raymonda)?

Have to say I was a bit disappointed with Apparitions. I felt whilst the dresses looked lovely, they obscured some of the dancing and footwork. Controversially I think Ball wasn't giving a performance he is capable of and some of the lifts with Cuthbertson didn't look very smooth. I think I would have preferred to have seen them both in other pieces (Cuthbertson in Sylvia for example!) and whilst I know understand the reason why this closed the evening but without this context (and even so) I just think after the sparkle of Le Corsaire it did feel a bit anti-climactic. I too was surprised not to see Marguerite and Armand as whilst it may not be to everyone's taste it was created for the famed Fonteyn/Nureyev partnership. I feel if Ball/Cuthbertson had danced this as the finale rather than Apparitions perhaps? 

The video of Fonteyn was so so lovely, and a perfect end to the evening. The orchestra were brilliant throughout but especially here accompanying this video performance. Overall what an absolutely glorious night, well done to KOH and the dancers for pulling it all off and what a treat to see so many principals and different flavours of ballet in one evening. I think we were all in ballet heaven. The programme is lovely, full of photos of Margot dancing each piece and I do hope they keep up the photos of her and the Firebird tutu in the Amphi bar area as a tribute for a little longer (or at the least replace them with something rather than nothing). My admiration for RB and its dancers has grown leaps and bounds (from an already very high level) and I am so looking forward to what they can bring to 20/21! 

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Neither did I. 

Naghdi and Vadream danced briefly together in Winter Dreams but yes, this was their first meaty performance together.  More please!!

They also danced briefly together in Wayne Eagling's Jeux in The Clore in the autumn of 2017.

Completely agree - MORE PLEASE!

[Did anyone else notice the Fonetyn typo which preceded, I think, Daphnis and Chloe? Whoops?]

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, capybara said:

They also danced briefly together in Wayne Eagling's Jeux in The Clore in the autumn of 2017.

Completely agree - MORE PLEASE!

Ah yes I had forgotten about that!

19 minutes ago, capybara said:

[Did anyone else notice the Fonetyn typo which preceded, I think, Daphnis and Chloe? Whoops?]

Yes, and unfortunately that caption stayed up for MUCH LONGER than any of the others!! :o

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Just got home after attending this memorable event.... can’t help but wish it had been a live cinema screening too as I imagine there would have been many many more people across the world who would have loved to have shared this event & ‘been there’ too.... albeit via the wonders of live broadcast. Especially the very many older ballet fans who in my experience frequent the ballet screenings; many would have watched Fonteyn perform I am quite sure & quite likely she was a pivotal part of igniting their love for ballet....I do hope there was filming that will be shared...???

They are doing what I surely must assume is a similar gala - sorry Celebration - but CALLED 'gala' I believe in Japan. Perhaps that will be filmed.  :)   In that way all will have had a dry run ... so to speak.  

Agree with so much that has been written thus far.  A special evening in so many ways - and given the considerable whole of its many parts remarkable that it ONLY over-ran by 10 minutes from the end time stated on the much appreciated cast sheet.  A keen feat.  The ending was especially rich in its afterglow.  A ripe fragrance was stirred and held in the air.  Special kudos to the orchestra as much as to all.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2