11 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Month is quite a big set to get up and down, especially after Firebird; and some of the dancers are in works both sides of the intervals. So I doubt if possible to have shorter intervals in this bill.

I understand there may be specific issues with getting the flooring switched between Month and Symphony too.

1 hour ago, onemouseplace said:

I've been going back and forth over whether to do the same tonight!   I do really want to see Symphony, but also the thought of a 10:50 finish (and interminable journey home) is really making my heart sink.

But Symphony in C is such a wonderful note on which to end a terrific Royal Ballet Season.

• Like 5

Having spoken to someone in the interval we were thinking that the show wouldn't finish until 10.45. I looked at my watch after the curtain came down on Symphony in C (before curtain calls) and it was 10.40 exactly.

Shirley

Posted (edited)

According to the exif data my first photo of Symphony in C for last night, Wednesday night and last Wednesday night was 10.40 and the last at 10.43....my camera's clock matches my iphone

Edited by Rob S

1 hour ago, Mary said:

ROH:please shorten the intervals!

They can't for this bill as they have to lay the floor for Month and then take it back up again afterwards.

Still says 10.30 on the cast sheet...

I didn't look at my watch last night but judging by what time I got home I don't think it finished much after 10.30 ........

1 hour ago, capybara said:

But Symphony in C is such a wonderful note on which to end a terrific Royal Ballet Season.

Indeed, and now I’m here and perusing the cast sheet I am fairly sure I’ll be staying!  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MJW said:

Sorry not trying to quote MJW but can't get rid of the box above on my phone! 

Who is the dancer who stepped forward from the corps in Firebird curtain call to accept flowers - encouraged by Claire Calvert?

Edited to add: Helen Crawford. I haven't seen her for so long since her maternity leave I couldn't place her! 

Edited by RHowarth
Info

1 minute ago, RHowarth said:

Sorry not trying to quote MJW but can't get rid of the box above on my phone! 

Who is the dancer who stepped forward from the corps in Firebird curtain call to accept flowers - encouraged by Claire Calvert?

Helen Crawford. It would appear that she is leaving too.

I too was wondering who she was, so checked on here as I was sure some of the experts would know! I did see her as the Nurse in R&J but failed to recognise her in a different costume.

A quite superb end to a wonderful year.

Muntagirov in Month was perfection. Ashton with a Russian soul. Sublime. 

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Mary said:

A quite superb end to a wonderful year.

Muntagirov in Month was perfection. Ashton with a Russian soul. Sublime. 

Indeed. 

A marvellous Month cast with an exceptional performance from Muntagirov. What an extraordinary artist, how lucky are we to have him in London :) :) :) 

• Like 9

Three brilliant works, superbly danced. A strange, powerful Diaghilev work; a perfectly-constructed, beautiful Ashton one-acter; and a sublime 20th-century abstract work, all with magnificent designs and to wonderful music. By a happy coincidence, it was precisely this combination that I saw at the ROH in October 1977 for my first ever ballet performance: Enigma Variations, Symphonic Variations, and Les Noces; and tonight I reached a personal landmark of my 1,000th ballet/dance performance. I know by the standards of some forumites that makes me a positive slacker, since it's taken me nearly 42 years to get there; but I'm very proud of this milestone, and more grateful than I can ever express for all the joy ballet has given me over the years. The fact that it came on the last night of what has been such an incredible season for the Royal Ballet makes it even more special. It was a magnificent company performance, by a magnificent company.

• Like 19

Here's to your next 1000, bridiem!

• Like 3

Too tired to write a proper review now, but still on a high from tonight. Magnificent performances all round, but Muntagirov in Month, as has already been said, was stunning. More tomorrow.

• Like 4

Agree with all the superlatives above. A spectacular way to end a wonderful season.  Now I am going to dream about Vadream. Not for the first time, he bared his soul tonight and shared it with all of us. We are indeed blessed by the ballet gods to have him. When he was dancing with Anna-Rose my daughter whispered to me “Lensky and Olga.”   Yes please!

All the dancers were on fire tonight.  Thanks to each and every member of the company for giving us such joy this season.  Wishing them a fun and successful tour. 

• Like 15

Posted (edited)

I don't know whether we're allowed to copy from an Instagram page. But this is lovely.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Sim said:

All the dancers were on fire tonight.  

Weren’t they just? The orchestra, too. I thought everyone was rather brilliant. Firebird got me teary-eyed, even before the farewell to Kish, A Month in the Country was wonderful and Symphony in C was the most enjoyable performance of that in the whole run for me. Great evening. 

• Like 3

Bridie, I'm stunned that you've been counting!  That in itself is an incredible achievement :)   I've no idea how many times I've been to the ROH.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bridiem said:

By a happy coincidence, it was precisely this combination that I saw at the ROH in October 1977 for my first ever ballet performance: Enigma Variations, Symphonic Variations, and Les Noces; and tonight I reached a personal landmark of my 1,000th ballet/dance performance. I know by the standards of some forumites that makes me a positive slacker, since it's taken me nearly 42 years to get there; but I'm very proud of this milestone, and more grateful than I can ever express for all the joy ballet has given me over the years. The fact that it came on the last night of what has been such an incredible season for the Royal Ballet makes it even more special. It was a magnificent company performance, by a magnificent company.

I absolutely love this, how have you been keeping count?  I've actually just started a spreadsheet (helpfully assisted by all my bookings back to 2008 being in my account on the ROH website), mainly as an aide-memoire as to performances/ performers and my thoughts.

I really enjoyed last night and was very glad I stayed for Symphony in C.  I thought the Firebird was excellent - I'd seen the same cast last week from the OS but was in the Amphitheatre this time and liked the different perspective.  I've not seen A Month in the Country before and thought it was wonderful - I'm really coming to enjoy one act ballets in the same way I've come to enjoy short stories more.  I was particularly impressed by Anna Rose Sullivan and, of course, Vadim.  I LOVED Symphony in C - my only gripe was that I wanted to refer to my cast sheet throughout as I'm not as familiar with some of the dancers as others here.  But, as with last week's Fonteyn Celebration, I thought it showcased the current breadth and depth of talent in the Company.

• Like 1

Bit late posting but I was there on Wednesday and really enjoyed Month in the Country. I thought there was really palpable chemistry between the three leads, and perhaps particularly between Muntagirov and O'sullivan. Some lovely subtle touches, brushing the fabric of Vera's skirt, tender placement of hands, and a good mix of giddy and intense from Anna Rose. Thought Cuthbertson brought a great strength of feeling to the role too

• Like 3

Talking of which, what happened to Cuthbertson's ribbons last night?  Muntagirov ended up having to kiss the hem of her dress.

29 minutes ago, alison said:

Talking of which, what happened to Cuthbertson's ribbons last night?  Muntagirov ended up having to kiss the hem of her dress.

She hadn’t let them go from around her arms so they were in front of her dress rather than trailing behind. Thought he improvised very well. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alison said:

Not that it mattered in the context of such a treasurable performance, but they remained firmly over her arms and completely out of sight for him.

29 minutes ago, onemouseplace said:

I absolutely love this, how have you been keeping count?  I've actually just started a spreadsheet (helpfully assisted by all my bookings back to 2008 being in my account on the ROH website), mainly as an aide-memoire as to performances/ performers and my thoughts.

Thanks, onemouseplace! I would have had no idea of the number of performances until a few years ago when I felt an urge to record as far as possible what I've seen. I realised that since I have all my old diaries, they would include the days on which I went to performances. So I just went through the diaries and in conjunction with any programmes or cast sheets I still have I recorded date, time, place, company, production, main dancers and anything else if significant and known (eg world première or début). The only trouble being that some of my diary entries simply say 'Ballet' or 'ROH' or something equally brief... And I have unfortunately not been able to keep most of my programmes or cast sheets from earlier years. So I have many gaps, where the only fact I know is that I went to a performance. I'm aiming to try and fill in some of the gaps from various resources in due course, and have already done so where it's easy (e.g. the ROH productions database, though that's not complete). All good fun!!

2 minutes ago, Thalia said:

She hadn’t let them go from around her arms so they were in front of her dress rather than trailing behind. Thought he improvised very well. 

He did, but it did make it slightly less plausible that she wouldn't have been aware of his presence... But it was a blip in an otherwise wonderful performance by Cuthbertson.

Just now, bridiem said:

He did, but it did make it slightly less plausible that she wouldn't have been aware of his presence... But it was a blip in an otherwise wonderful performance by Cuthbertson.

The skirt was quite full so she probably wouldn’t have felt him fiddling about with it unless he yanked on it. 😂 

• Like 2