Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Richard LH

Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Shade said:

According to Osipova’s interview in the Standard this week some dancers prefer not to dance with her. I agree the she has had brilliant performances with Watson and McRae but I also enjoyed her Kitri and Nikyia with Muntagirov, Juliet with Acosta etc.

 

i see she is not down for Coppelia - I wonder if she is elsewhere for that. I am disappointed as I never saw her perform that live with the Bolshoi, only in the cinema. 

 

Still looking forward to the new season.

 

I imagine she was referring to dancers at the Bolshoi as she has discussed many times how the harsh dancing atmosphere and politics at the Bolshoi is what drove her to come to the RB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Alison:  I have a horrible suspicion it might have been me.  I was grasping at straws a while back and 'speculated' that perhaps as Wayne's muse he was a central character in the new full-length.  A triumph of hope in the vacuum that is currently Ed Watson

 

Could you stop speculating about this please. A person’s health is a private matter unless and until they choose to make it public and injury is particularly horrible for dancers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I agree, Happyturk. I don’t find the Nunez/Muntagirov, combination, lovely though it is, remotely equal.  Nunez is always so confident, so supreme and Muntagirov so giving, that, inevitably, he is overshadowed and becomes simply a partner in the dance sense.  I can’t remember who he was dancing with the last time I saw him but I remember remarking how much more he projected with someone other than Nunez.  Think it would be good for his development to have other partners.  Surely both Hirano and Ball are tall enough for Nunez?

I too have never seen the great chemistry that others believe them to have. He has a rather reserved (less extroverted) spirit that I think he would do better with others. Nunez has very extroverted dancing, on the other hand, which is great for sunny characters (although I admit she isn't my favorite dancer because of her port de bras).   

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lindsay said:

 

Could you stop speculating about this please. A person’s health is a private matter unless and until they choose to make it public and injury is particularly horrible for dancers.

Oh, do behave!

 

There is no speculation whatsoever about the nature of Edward Watson’s injuries/health or anything that might be considered personal.  I am enquiring about the continued absence of a dancer I have followed for many years.  Such concern is entirely legitimate about a performer on a public stage, the more so in a discussion forum devoted to dance.  Everything I have said I would say direct to Mr. Watson were I lucky enough to encounter him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Oh, do behave!

 

There is no speculation whatsoever about the nature of Edward Watson’s injuries/health or anything that might be considered personal.  I am enquiring about the continued absence of a dancer I have followed for many years.  Such concern is entirely legitimate about a performer on a public stage, the more so in a discussion forum devoted to dance.  Everything I have said I would say direct to Mr. Watson were I lucky enough to encounter him.

 

I know how to behave thank you. You said that you have already tweeted and got no answer.  Personally, in a context where a dancer has previously been announced as injured, I would take that as a sign that banging on about it on public message boards is unwelcome and in rather bad taste. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On another note, is there a reason Hirano isn't being cast as some of the main leads this Autumn? *Edit* For a second I thought I only saw his name for SB but he has a main lead in Concerto. Never mind! I need my eyes checked.

Edited by HappyTurk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

 

I know how to behave thank you. You said that you have already tweeted and got no answer.  Personally, in a context where a dancer has previously been announced as injured, I would take that as a sign that banging on about it on public message boards is unwelcome and in rather bad taste. 

The starting point for this discussion was the Autumn casting and the absence of EW which seemed surprising given that he is imminently scheduled to appear in Firebird so must therefore be deemed to have recovered from last year’s injury. Nobody is asking intrusive questions about his health, we are just worrying that  he might be retiring from the stage without being given the farewell he deserves. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

I would say a combination of things. For one, I think Mcrae has often been paired up with Takada for height reasons as I don't think they have chemistry at all. Ball does have chemistry with Naghdi as does Nunez and Muntagirov (although the former is much more prominent to me). The problem is just that it seems as though there isn't very much flexibility/diversity when it comes to casting in the classics especially for Nunez and Muntagirov. I would love him to be paired with other ballerinas much more frequently in the classics as he is 99 percent of the time paired up with Nunez in those. Yes, he does often pair up with Lamb in the MacMillan repertoire but rarely the classics. I think that is the issue I have. 

 

 

Thanks for explaining! I wonder if it would really be so odd for a female dancer to be taller than the male - would it really look *that* bad to affect casting? It would be interesting to see if anyone has seen something a performance where the female has been taller! 

 

Whilst I've never seen McRae and Takada perform, one reason I haven't booked is because I agree that I think they look a bit odd paired together. I feel Takada would work with almost any of the other principals! So I personally find it odd that height seems to dictate so much, and feel it's a bit of a shame when it may limit who dancers are paired with or whether they are even cast for certain roles. 

 

I actually really like Nunez and Muntagirov as a pair - because they are such happy, sunny dancers with excellent classical technique so I think they work really well together. Agree that it would be nice to mix up the pairings sometimes though! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if people who may be retiring at the end of a season have to wait till all the promotions and leavers and joiners etc are announced....though won't this be soon presumably before they go off to Japan?

But he may not be retiring in the full sense. Just not involved with every production and towards the ends of careers dancers often go off and get involved with projects of their choice but still remain connected to their main Company for some performances. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LinMM said:

I wonder if people who may be retiring at the end of a season have to wait till all the promotions and leavers and joiners etc are announced....though won't this be soon presumably before they go off to Japan?

But he may not be retiring in the full sense. Just not involved with every production and towards the ends of careers dancers often go off and get involved with projects of their choice but still remain connected to their main Company for some performances. 

 

Seeing that Soares is now a guest artist, will he continue to be so after his performance of Onegin (which very well could be his send off performance)? Or is he now a guest artist merely for that performance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

On another note, is there a reason Hirano isn't being cast as some of the main leads this Autumn? *Edit* For a second I thought I only saw his name for SB but he has a main lead in Concerto. Never mind! I need my eyes checked.

He may be exhausted!  He  has had a very taxing, although hopefully exhilarating, season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, balletyas said:

The starting point for this discussion was the Autumn casting and the absence of EW which seemed surprising given that he is imminently scheduled to appear in Firebird so must therefore be deemed to have recovered from last year’s injury. Nobody is asking intrusive questions about his health, we are just worrying that  he might be retiring from the stage without being given the farewell he deserves. 

Quite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

He may be exhausted!  He  has had a very taxing, although hopefully exhilarating, season.

Yes he has! Hopefully now he won't be so overlooked. I do think he should be publicized more by the RB. He is a very regal and elegant dancer. 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the Takada/Bracewell combo was wondrous in Swan Lake and I would like that to be given opportunities to develop - they have Coppelia together, which is good.

I'm afraid I don't 'get' McRae at all and am disappointed that both Hayward and Takada are paired with him. There, I've said it!

 

While writing this, I would like to say that I have long been an admirer of Edward Watson and, if I haven't 'mentioned him in dispatches' for nearly two years, it is purely because he hasn't been on stage since The Wind.

 

I also think that, if one is particularly keen on certain dancers, it is possible to magnify in one's mind any slight criticism which appears on here as well as any comparative lack of attention. When all is said and done we each have to enjoy our favourites in our own way. I have 4 ballerinas and 4 male dancers who I particularly admire and they couldn't be more different. 

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, J_New said:

 

I agree - she was stunning as Juliet, and I was really hoping she'd get the chance to do Manon. Her performances are so thoughtful and nuanced - her Manon would have been something special!  I'd love to see her as Tatiana - wonder if she'll get the chance ....?

In spite of her recent Juliet, Stix-Brunell is one of the company's most underused dancers (IMO), but I'm actually more disappointed she's not debuting Swanhilda.  The company isn't losing any Manons to retirement from the last run, so realistically there wasn't going to be a debut.  Whereas Coppelia is a long-awaited revival featuring a lot of debuts especially for dancers below the principal rank (Magri, O'Sullivan, Choe, Corrales, Sambe, Acri) so it's difficult not to see her cast.  Her personality would be a great fit for the role.

 

O'Sullivan is a great talent but I personally wouldn't have given her *both* Aurora and Swanhilda back-to-back.  She probably up to the task though.  I am thrilled Kaneko is getting to do Aurora, but for both ladies to each have only one performance of such a daunting role is a lot of pressure.

 

ETA:  I see O'Sullivan has two Auroras, Kaneko one.

Edited by MRR
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Stix Brunell would make a great Swanhilda so think she deserves a chance at this role. She is a First soloist I think? 

Bit we don't know yet what is happening in terms of casting in the New Year so let's hope for her there.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Stix Brunell could be making a debut in Swan Lake or perhaps also performing one of the prominent leads in Onegin. Maybe that can explain the lack of a debut in Coppelia? Is she performing Aurora? 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balletyas said:

The starting point for this discussion was the Autumn casting and the absence of EW which seemed surprising given that he is imminently scheduled to appear in Firebird so must therefore be deemed to have recovered from last year’s injury. Nobody is asking intrusive questions about his health, we are just worrying that  he might be retiring from the stage without being given the farewell he deserves. 

It is hard to see how a tweet reading: ‘You are much missed on stage.  Looking forward to Firebird and hopefully other performances very soon’ could upset any dancer.  I do not believe that dancers, particularly senior,  very experienced ones are the delicate flowers some would have us believe.  To have achieved status in such a demanding art form, one has to be more than just a talented performer.  Indeed,  most now spend a fair amount of their time promoting themselves, especially on social media.

 

Dancers are performers who understand the value of a raised profile and an enthusiastic fan base which is a point I’ve made before In response to tiresome, baseless allegations of not respecting dancers.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Stix Brunell could be making a debut in Swan Lake or perhaps also performing one of the prominent leads in Onegin. Maybe that can explain the lack of a debut in Coppelia? Is she performing Aurora? 

Stix-Brunell is not cast as Aurora.  Presumably she will dance Lilac as she has done so before. 

 

Onegin only has 12 shows and Tatiana is typically cast on experienced principal ballerinas, so I would expect her to dance Olga.   Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MRR said:

Stix-Brunell is not cast as Aurora.  Presumably she will dance Lilac as she has done so before. 

 

Onegin only has 12 shows and Tatiana is typically cast on experienced principal ballerinas, so I would expect her to dance Olga.   Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy.  

I suppose then that if the 2018 run had a similar number of shows, I imagine the only debut this run might be Kaneko. 

Edited by HappyTurk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

I think Mcrae has often been paired up with Takada for height reasons as I don't think they have chemistry at all.

 

Ouch ! I  can't agree with that, at all, HT.  I can't imagine the casting team at the RB would keep putting them together for height reasons alone,  if they did not perceive good chemistry  in their partnership.

So far I have seen them live together in La Bayadere and Mayerling , and recorded in The Dream. Three very different ballets, and for me they were really great together in each.  I am looking forward with interest  to see McRae's Des Grieux, although Campbell was brilliant with Takada when he stepped into this role last time, and also  their Sleeping Beauty  pairing - this should be classic in every sense. Mind you Takada and Bracewell were a wonderful together  in Swan Lake (to be repeated I hope) and I am also really looking forward to what these two make of their debuts in  in Coppelia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, capybara said:

I have 4 ballerinas and 4 male dancers who I particularly admire and they couldn't be more different. 

 

Come on capybara, don't leave us hanging....spill the beans ! 😉

Edited by Richard LH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MRR said:

Stix-Brunell is not cast as Aurora.  Presumably she will dance Lilac as she has done so before. 

 

Onegin only has 12 shows and Tatiana is typically cast on experienced principal ballerinas, so I would expect her to dance Olga.   Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy.  

 

I really really hope that Claire Calvert will be given Swan Lake.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

 

Come on capybara, don't leave us hanging....spill the beans ! 😉

 

 

Too dangerous!!!!

 

I was thinking of those who I particularly book for but I've added many more this morning - because I am interested in watching so many currently lower-ranked dancers as well as those who are more prominent. So, if I'm not careful, I would end up listing half the Company! That's what makes being able to see the Royal Ballet so frequently very special.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bridiem:

"Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy."  

 

Assuming the current 6 Odette/Odiles (Nunez, Osipova, Naghdi, Takada, Lamb, Cuthbertson) each get 3 performances, add to this the likelihood Hayward will make her debut and dancing 2 or 3 performances: this takes up 20 or 21 performances thus leaving 4 or 5 performances to share between two other debutantes (Kaneko hopefully! Stix-Brunell? or Calvert?or..?).

Swan Lake is a mammoth of a ballet not only requiring a very high level of technical skill but also enormous stamina to get through this full-length ballet.

Edited by Xandra Newman
.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LinMM said:

Thanks ....that looks like the Manon for me then as will only go once and haven't seen Hayward in this role yet.

On second thoughts could be tempted by the prospect of Bolle in the main role! In fact that whole cast looks really good. I can usually only take Manon once in a run!! It's so draining! But maybe will have to do some judicial spacing and see both these casts! 

Bolle and Nunez were tremendous together last time round. So was Hayward, but I wasn’t so convinced by her partner on that occasion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Bridiem:

"Swan Lake has 25 performances including the welcome performance and students' matinee, but I recall the 2018 run having nearly that many shows and the 6 Odette/Odiles were all principals.  However, it is possible with a revival, there could be some debuts this time around particularly with so many performances.  Certainly there are many soloist/first soloist ballerinas (not just Stix) who are worthy."  

 

Assuming the current 6 Odette/Odiles (Nunez, Osipova, Naghdi, Takada, Lamb, Cuthbertson) each get 3 performances, add to this the likelihood Hayward will make her debut and dancing 2 or 3 performances: this takes up 20 or 21 performances thus leaving 4 or 5 performances to share between two other debutantes (Kaneko hopefully! Stix-Brunell? or Calvert?or..?).

Swan Lake is a mammoth of a ballet not only requiring a very high level of technical skill but also enormous stamina to get through this full-length ballet.

Didn't each principal get 4 shows the last run? Maybe they'll do the same again (especially considering Lamb, Cuthbertson, and Osipova were all left out from Coppelia. And then since Nunez and Takada also had 4 shows last time, I imagine they'll do the same. Naghdi might be given 3 like last time which leaves 2 shows left)? For some reason, I don't think Hayward will be making a debut (I've already stated my reasons why in the past). But I'm certain Kaneko will (perhaps that can explain why she only got 1 Aurora). I doubt Calvert will based on how she has been cast lately. 

Edited by HappyTurk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnneL said:

Bolle and Nunez were tremendous together last time round. So was Hayward, but I wasn’t so convinced by her partner on that occasion. 

 

Saw Bolle as des Grieux years ago and thought he was terrific !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...