Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:05, Lizbie1 said:

(This should possibly go on the Opera forum, and apologies if this has been picked up elsewhere.)

Leo Dixon and Elizabeth McGorian will be appearing in the forthcoming RO production of Death in Venice as Tadzio and the Lady of the Pearls: https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/death-in-venice-by-david-mcvicar-dates

I was at opening night yesterday and thought it was utterly stunning including in its use of dance.  Elizabeth McGorian's character was a non-dancing role (just a "impossibly elegant lady of a certain age" wordless acting part, which I'm sure you can imagine plays to one of her other strengths!) and besides Leo Dixon, there was a substantial supporting ensemble of non-RB dancers.  Dixon was terrific.  More thoughts later on the Opera & Music forum - as I'm at work, I imagine somebody else will get there first.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Cast changes for the Concerto triple bill

18 Dec (m)

Concerto Gasparini replaces Stix-Brunell; Calvert replaces Heap

18 Dec (e) & 20 Dec (e)

Concerto O'Sullivan replaces Takada

20 Dec (m)

Concerto Gasparini replaces Stix-Brunell; Kaneko replaces Heap

Enigma Variations Hinkis replaces Naghdi (Dorabella)

12 minutes ago, capybara said:

This might be a good moment for a reminder that the evening performances this Wednesday and Friday are at 7.00pm, not 7.30pm as usual.

A VERY good moment!  Thank you, capybara: I had no idea.  What time are the matinees, then?

Just now, alison said:

I wonder whether all these are down to current injury/illness, or whether some are just due to lack of rehearsal time etc. following previous injury/illness.

Beatriz posted a pic of her training this morning with a shoe ‘three sizes larger than normal’ 

49 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

18 Dec (e) & 20 Dec (e)

Oh excellent! Double Anna-Rose (as she's also Dorabella at these performances). I couldn't get to any of her scheduled Concerto performances, so I'm very happy about this - while obviously also wishing Takada well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Cast changes for the Concerto triple bill

18 Dec (m)

Concerto Gasparini replaces Stix-Brunell; Calvert replaces Heap

18 Dec (e) & 20 Dec (e)

20 Dec (m)

Concerto Gasparini replaces Stix-Brunell; Kaneko replaces Heap

Enigma Variations Hinkis replaces Naghdi (Dorabella)

Does this mean Tierney Heap is still recovering from her injury? What a year she has had.

I am sad that Melissa Hamilton hasn’t been called on for Concerto. She has been so under used this season and Concerto suits her so well. Whereas Anna Rose seems to be getting a wealth of opportunities.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MAX said:

I think Melissa Hamilton is doing the pas de deux and O'Sullivan the first movement.... It's Yuhui Choe who was in the first movement a few years ago and very good indeed....  

No Melissa Hamilton is not dancing the 2nd Movement pas de deux at all. 

On18th and 20th December/Matinee the pas de deux is danced by Sarah Lamb, the evening performances pas de deux is danced by Yasmine Naghdi

Edited by Xandra Newman
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Melissa Hamilton has posted that she is doing Concerto and Raymonda on Wednesday afternoon and is also dancing 'on Friday'

I think that this will be one of the ‘brown’ dancers in Concerto. She had two performances in the pas de deux at the start of the season, but that has been her only leading role this season to the best of my knowledge. 

4 hours ago, RuthE said:

Oh excellent! Double Anna-Rose (as she's also Dorabella at these performances). I couldn't get to any of her scheduled Concerto performances, so I'm very happy about this - while obviously also wishing Takada well.

Is she? I'm seeing both performances on Friday & on the ROH website both now have Hinkis as Dorabella. Since I also saw Hinkis replacing as Dorabella back at the beginning of November, I'm a bit disappointed that it looks like I won't get to see anyone else in the role live.

On a side note, I'm hoping that the fact the cast change notifications have been sent out & Bracewell is not mentioned means that he is now fit to dance, after missing the first lot of EV performances.

51 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I think that this will be one of the ‘brown’ dancers in Concerto. She had two performances in the pas de deux at the start of the season, but that has been her only leading role this season to the best of my knowledge. 

Yes, the same thing I saw her do on 5th November with Luca Acri

Yes I was expecting Nagdhi in Concerto on wed eve too. 

Also I suppose as Anna Rose is already dancing in Enigma it would make sense to use her in Concerto if having to replace somebody. 

Edited by LinMM

Yes, I saw her do it on 2nd November

Yes, I saw her do it on 2nd November

But that was in the Linbury Theatre downstairs no (with Monotones) not on the main stage I think.

Unless she got the only Matinee - 2nd November...

Edited by Xandra Newman

14 hours ago, LinMM said:

I'm not having much luck trying to see Akada at the moment hope she is better soon ....am very happy with Anna Rose of course. 

14 hours ago, alison said:

I wonder whether all these are down to current injury/illness, or whether some are just due to lack of rehearsal time etc. following previous injury/illness.

14 hours ago, Rob S said:

Beatriz posted a pic of her training this morning with a shoe ‘three sizes larger than normal’ 

An Instagram video shows Beatriz in class referring to an inflamed heel.

Akane Takada can be seen working at the barre in the same clip, so hopefully  she is OK but  just missing Concerto for the sort of other reason Alison mentions. Akane did also withdraw from Concerto in October (22nd and 26th) but not because of injury or illness, as on 16th October, the day after the withdrawal announcement, she danced that fateful Manon (McRae injury) and danced Manon again on 6th November.  Perhaps with other commitments it was felt best for her to leave Concerto out completely this time, unfortunately. 😥

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...