Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

I see Bracewell & Naghdi are still listed for 18th & 20th December so hopefully they might still be able to do those performances, as it's 2 months away. May I ask, apropos of the Enigma Variations cast changes, do Troyte & Dorabella dance together or do both only have solos?

Edited by Dawnstar

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I see Bracewell & Naghdi are still listed for 18th & 20th December so hopefully they might still be able to do those performances, as it's 2 months away. May I ask, apropos of the Enigma Variations cast changes, do Troyte & Dorabella dance together or do both only have solos?

I think Naghdi should be ok - her instagram earlier showed her rehearsing for Sleeping Beauty and she’s still scheduled to perform the mixed bill on 5th November. I presume they’re just being a bit cautious and focusing on Sleeping Beauty. 

Similarly if Bracewell looked good at rehearsal than we can hope a similar (cautious) approach is being taken. (Which I think is the right way of doing it!) 

Hope all who are injured have swift recoveries and very much hoping to see no more injuries! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Due to injury William Bracewell is replaced by Alexander Campbell as Troyte"

I'm so sad for William Bracewell.   His previous injury had kept him off the stage for a number of months and I was looking forward to his return.

Me too.  As you know, I'd been concerned that he didn't seem to have been showing up in Manon, and I guess this is why :( 

19 hours ago, capybara said:

That's a real shame.

However, the packed house this morning for The Royal Ballet in Class on the main stage had the very great pleasure of watching William dancing, including some virtuoso moves towards the end of the session.

I am rather confused about this... the email as to William Bracewell being replaced due to injury must have been prepared very soon after this Class, or even before it....yet he was OK to commit to the Class as described. I suppose he may have been injured during the Class itself?  but if so the ROH must have been unusually quick off the mark with the replacement announcement. 

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I am rather confused about this... the email as to William Bracewell being replaced due to injury must have been prepared very soon after this Class, or even before it....yet he was OK to commit to the Class as described. I suppose he may have been injured during the Class itself?  but if so the ROH must have been unusually quick off the mark with the replacement announcement. 

It may that an earlier injury prevented him taking part in the rehearsals, such that he may be OK now, but would not be able to 'catch up' to be ready for a performance

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

It may that an earlier injury prevented him taking part in the rehearsals, such that he may be OK now, but would not be able to 'catch up' to be ready for a performance

Or he’s building up strength in class but isn’t fully recovered to put the strain of a heavy performance on it? 

• Like 2

I wonder when they will announce McRae’s replacement for the second Manon performance, Raymonda and also Sleeping Beauty/Coppelia. 

We’re not too far away from them now..

I expect Clarke may step up to do the second Manon but the others seem a bit trickier. 

Do the RB have ‘understudies’? I presume not considering generally those who have always filled in last minute have always been scheduled to perform in the role anyway. I’m sure it’ll work out fine but it seems there would be a lot of ‘doubling up’ of performances for someone to do, so hopefully it can be scheduled in a way that isn’t too taxing but also doesn’t end up messing around the casting that is currently advertised too much. 

As others have said it’s moments like these where I’m quite in awe of the RB and dancers’ talent. Didn’t Ball learn Mayerling in something ridiculous like 2 weeks when Watson had to pull out? I wonder if we’ll get someone stepping up in this way or if we’ll just have a few male principals doing the rounds in a number of performances! 

8 minutes ago, JNC said:

Do the RB have ‘understudies’? I presume not considering generally those who have always filled in last minute have always been scheduled to perform in the role anyway. 

they have 'covers' - dancers will watch the rehearsals in the background, learning the steps and some of the nuances (whilst not being refined by the repetiteur), more with a vue to doing the role in a future run. If there is no one available to step in for an injury (or illness) at short notice, due to scheduling, they may ask the cover to dance the role. I guess it would also depend on rehearsal time/ability of the covering dancer, whether they would be asked to step up, or whether schedules would be rejigged

• Like 1

Some ballet companies have a cast sheet listing the names of the dancers who will definitely do the role together with others named in brackets who attend all rehearsals but do not necessarily get rehearsal time of their own. If asked, the 'covers' will say that they are "learning the role". Of course, sometimes, things happen which means that they do eventually get on stage.

I believe that the RB does occasionally make provision for a dancer (usually someone who has his/her own shows) to be on 'standby', especially if the person who is due on is nursing any kind of twinge. 

• Like 1

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast change:

Tuesday 22 October, 7.30pm
Saturday 26 October, 7.30pm

Due to injury Steven McRae is replaced by Vadim Muntagirov as Jean de Brienne.

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's Manon

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Manon. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast change:

Wednesday 6 November, 7.30pm
Due to injury Steven McRae is replaced by Alexander Campbell as Des Grieux.

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's The Sleeping Beauty

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of The Sleeping Beauty. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast changes:

Monday 11 November, 7.30pm
Friday 15 November, 7.30pm
Saturday 23 November, 7.30pm

Due to injury Steven McRae is replaced by Ryoichi Hirano as Prince Florimund.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 5

Nothing yet for Coppelia? That's the one I'm waiting on because I'm thinking of booking to see Hayward but want to know who will be partnering her before committing, since the remaining stalls/stalls circle seats for the only date I can do are on the expensive side.

• Like 1

I, too, received the notice about the latest change for 26 October evening:

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III. We are contacting you to let you know about the following cast change:

Due to injury Steven McRae is replaced by Vadim Muntagirov as Jean de Brienne.

First reaction: Sorry about McRae's injury. Hope he gets well soon. He's an especially fine partner for Ms. Lamb, IMO.

Second reaction, from a big Vadim fan:  YIPPEE SKIPEE!

Seriously, I've received too many injury replacement notices just for this performance. Praying for no more, please.

Edited by alison
Deleted personal details

8 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Nothing yet for Coppelia? That's the one I'm waiting on because I'm thinking of booking to see Hayward but want to know who will be partnering her before committing, since the remaining stalls/stalls circle seats for the only date I can do are on the expensive side.

Looking at who else had been cast and who has partnered with Hayward before I have a feeling it will either be Campbell or Corrales (though one of the dates looks a bit tight for Corrales so I am leaning towards Campbell). Or even Sambé, I’m not sure if he’s partnered Hayward before though? And there’s always Bracewell too (not sure if I’ve seen him with Hayward on stage but they have been cast in the Romeo and Juliet film together). Also Ball potentially but if he’s been rehearsing with Naghdi who is much taller it seems more unlikely. 

I think it’s highly likely to be Campbell, and would next bet on Bracewell as the dates for Corrales/Sambe look a bit too close maybe? I think Hayward would work well with any of these men so if you think you may struggle to get a ticket where you want to I would book sooner rather than later! Unless you are particularly opposed to any of them in which case I’m sure the casting will be announced in the next week or so. 

I have ruled Muntagirov out as he’s never partnered with Hayward (?) and his dates are also particularly close, and he is already picking up McRae’s Raymonda so I don’t think he can really handle much more! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JNC said:

Looking at who else had been cast and who has partnered with Hayward before I have a feeling it will either be Campbell or Corrales (though one of the dates looks a bit tight for Corrales so I am leaning towards Campbell). Or even Sambé, I’m not sure if he’s partnered Hayward before though?

Hayward and Sambé did Fille together 3 years ago, and very wonderful they were too.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Hayward and Sambé did Fille together 3 years ago, and very wonderful they were too.

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

I seem to remember that they did Alice together a number of years ago (2014?)

As always very impressed by the knowledge on here! 

Perhaps I was wrong to rule out Muntagirov but to be honest I feel l don’t see them as well together especially considering I see Hayward pairing well with all the others I’ve mentioned above (unlike for example Naghdi and Muntagirov). Having said that I have booked to see them in a Onegin, which I’m much looking forward to, so it will be very interesting! 

I like them very much as individual dancers so fully prepared to be proved wrong! 

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

Yes - end 2014/beginning of 2015 and very good they were together too!

My guess is that, since Campbell has been given the extra Manon, he might not be 'the lucky one' for Coppelia. There is, however, the added factor that Hayward has the opening night and, maybe, that usually goes to a Principal?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bridiem said:

5 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Hayward and Sambé also danced together in The Dream some years ago and were  really good in that. They've also done Balanchine's Tarantella as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jam Dancer said:

Hayward and Sambé also danced together in The Dream some years ago and were  really good in that

It is my dream that the Royal Ballet get this back on stage very soon. Or even better, do the full length Balanchine Midsummer Night’s Dream. Would that ever happen do you think?

• Like 1

Candleque I think it’s almost certain they will never do Balanchine’s full length version. (Thankfully in my view; Ashton’s seems completely perfect. Funny, touching, swift-moving, romantic. Plus it was made on the company.  Balanchine’s on the other hand seems somewhat over-stuffed. But I’m only ever keen on Balanchine’s plotless work anyway).

Sorry, not relevant to the discussion really 😉

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2019 at 03:14, Ianlond said:

Forgot to say that Sambé and Hayward may be great together in it. I would have said James Hay if not were for (I believe) opening night & he is (unfortunately) not a Principal. 

They (Sambé and Hayward) were great in it!

• Like 1

On 22/10/2019 at 19:14, Ianlond said:

Forgot to say that Sambé and Hayward may be great together in it. I would have said James Hay if not were for (I believe) opening night & he is (unfortunately) not a Principal. 

So maybe Sambe with Hayward and James Hay with O’Sullivan? I’d be very happy with this scenario (I’ve booked for both these casts).