Royal Ballet 2019/20 Autumn Season Casting

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I think you’re probably right in this case, but matinee kick off times are very unpredictable at ROH and there are quite a few weekday matinees scheduled for next season.

Sorry yes that's true, my mistake. 

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Although neither is a “go to” dancer for me, I also feel so sorry for Yuhui Choe and Melissa Hamilton, taken out of Aurora and Manon. Five years ago, Choe was the dancer chosen to replace Osipova as Aurora. Hamilton hasn’t had RB chances in the classics but her MacMillan work has been much admired. It must be incredibly difficult to maintain motivation as the next generation rises and passes you by when early signals suggested  you were that next generation.

I couldn’t agree more - I feel very disappointed for them as they have been given very little next season and any promotion is most likely out of the question now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Leanne Benjamin had been principal with other companies, including Sadlers Wells RB, before joining the RB, though.  And Sarah Lamb had also been a principal too, hadn't she?  I've got a feeling Bull might have been a bit like Choe is now.  Often cast in lead roles, while remaining a first soloist?

Bryony Brind's casting is amazing.  She had already been in the corps for 3 years, so it makes you wonder why she hadn't been promoted further up the ranks a bit earlier.  I never saw her dance, sadly.  I am pretty certain Bussell was a principal when she did her first SL, although probably a newly promoted one.  

I think I met Bryon when I was doing meet and greet at The Barbican and she accompanied the Duke of Kent.  They were both delightful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

Leanne Benjamin had been principal with other companies, including Sadlers Wells RB, before joining the RB, though.  And Sarah Lamb had also been a principal too, hadn't she?  I've got a feeling Bull might have been a bit like Choe is now.  Often cast in lead roles, while remaining a first soloist?

Bull did become a principal, though. Whereas I don't think that will happen for Choe now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Bull did become a principal, though. Whereas I don't think that will happen for Choe now.

And was superb in Swan Lake, as well a developing her own unique company profile in Forsythe. her TV series, Dance, Ballerina, Dance, shows she was a much more versatile (as in non just strong and “modern”) artist than the company allowed her to be. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CCL said:

I can’t answer the question, but I recently came across a pile of old programmes, including the programme for my first ever trip to the ROH, Thursday 13th May 1993, when the role of Odette/Odile was performed by Leanne Benjamin, who is listed as a First Soloist. (Adam Cooper was Siegfried, replacing an injured Jose Manuel Carreno).

Super Cooper! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Mallinson said:

This may be the last time we see his Des Grieux. In June he's billed to dance his final performances with ABT. From Dance Magazine: "After over a decade of turning heads and breaking hearts at American Ballet Theatre, Roberto Bolle is saying good-bye to the company. The international star's final ABT performances will be as the idealistic Des Grieux…"

Is he supposed to be retiring altogether soon or just leaving that company? I've not seen him dance so maybe I'd better book for Manon in case it's the only chance, although I'm slightly dubious about Nunez after finding her not ideal as Juliet.

3 hours ago, MAX said:

Melissa Hamilton should have stayed in Dresden !

When she wasn't listed for Manon I did start wondering if she was leaving, but then I spotted her down for Concerto. I guess it wouldn't be too surprising if she did leave though, given she's not being given much to do. I can only think of 5 roles she's done the entire season: Mary Vetsera, Juliet, Patineurs, Rose Fairy & Arabian dance. Have I missed anything? It's hardly full time employment compared to most of the other first soloists.

9 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm slightly dubious about Nunez after finding her not ideal as Juliet.

As much as I adore Nuñez, she’s not a Juliet I would book for again; I just think there are other dancers much better suited to the role.  However, to me, she is just wonderful as Manon, one of my absolute favourites.  If you haven’t seen this, here’s a taster:

https://youtu.be/pyAdb6xTel8

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is he supposed to be retiring altogether soon or just leaving that company? I've not seen him dance so maybe I'd better book for Manon in case it's the only chance, although I'm slightly dubious about Nunez after finding her not ideal as Juliet.

He is only retiring from ABT. He will continue to dance with La Scala and with his “Roberto Bolle and Friends” tours (as well as other engagements, like the RB in the fall).  The opportunities to see him in a full-length classic or neoclassic ballet, however, may be somewhat limited: in addition to their Onegins at La Scala this fall, he and Nunez will dance it on tour in Southern California next summer, and he’s also scheduled for La Dame aux Camellias with Zakharova in the fall of 2020.

Edited by now voyager
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fonty said:

I've got a feeling Bull might have been a bit like Choe is now.  Often cast in lead roles, while remaining a first soloist?

Except that she was promoted to Principal.  On a tour to Japan, unless my memory fails me.

Yanowsky also debuted O/O as a first soloist in fall 2000, and when SL was reprised in July 2001 she was promoted to principal. Bussell was promoted in 1989 and danced her first SL in 1990.

Of the first soloists I would say Kaneko is the most likely to debut it. Calvert doesn't strike me as having the strength technically, especially for Odile. I hope Hayward gets a chance even if O/O isn't the first role you would think of her.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, alison said:

Except that she was promoted to Principal.  On a tour to Japan, unless my memory fails me.

Yes, Bull was, I realise that.  I just meant that she was dancing principal roles for several years before gaining the official title.  

• Like 2

On 01/06/2019 at 18:09, Jamesrhblack said:

I also feel so sorry for Yuhui Choe and Melissa Hamilton, taken out of Aurora and Manon.

I see from the website that Hamilton and Clarke are kicking off the season with the Manon Welcome matinee on 02 October,  and that Choe and Acri are listed for the Coppelia Schools matinee on  28 November.

Nunez and Muntagirov are listed for the Sleeping Beauty  Welcome matinee on 11 January. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I see from the website that Hamilton and Clarke are kicking off the season with the Manon Welcome matinee on 02 October,  and that Choe and Acri are listed for the Coppelia Schools matinee on  28 November.

Nunez and Muntagirov are listed for the Sleeping Beauty  Welcome matinee on 11 January. 

Ah, that’s interesting and good news for Hamilton and Clarke, neither of whom appeared on the original PDF casting that was sent at the start of this thread.

29 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Thank you for the update 

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I see from the website that Hamilton and Clarke are kicking off the season with the Manon Welcome matinee on 02 October

Hamilton is the dancer I most want to see as Manon out of the RB candidates so to find out she's doing it but only in a non-public performance is jolly frustrating!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Casting is up for the performances of Monotones in the Linbury:

https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/cross-currents-monotones-ii-new-tanowitz-by-various

Thanks! A lot of TBC though...also intrigued that they are doing two performances an evening, wonder why this is. Perhaps not enough free evenings in the Linbury, surely not?

I'd like to go but not sure about ticket availability once general booking opens, plus would be interesting to see the prices. For a 45 minute performance I'm hoping it will be cheap, I wouldn't go if it was priced similar to a mixed bill on the main stage! 

7 minutes ago, JNC said:

Thanks! A lot of TBC though...also intrigued that they are doing two performances an evening, wonder why this is. Perhaps not enough free evenings in the Linbury, surely not?

I'd like to go but not sure about ticket availability once general booking opens, plus would be interesting to see the prices. For a 45 minute performance I'm hoping it will be cheap, I wouldn't go if it was priced similar to a mixed bill on the main stage! 

The TBC is for the other works. Monotones II only has three dancers so they’re all named. 

Edit: just checked the prices and they’re £5 - £25

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

The TBC is for the other works. Monotones II only has three dancers so they’re all named. 

Edit: just checked the prices and they’re £5 - £25

Brilliant thanks! 

Whilst this is great news I'm now wondering if they are so 'cheap' as to incentivise more people to book so I won't get a ticket anyway ha! I'd rather this though then them being overpriced so luck of the draw on booking day! In some ways it may be a relief as I'm already looking to spend far too much on the Autumn season anyway! 

Casting  looks promising and I will be pleased to see Hayward and Campbell together again. Well Hayward full stop really.  To be honest, and it is great they give their dancers other opportunities, the absences for a large part of the year have been f3lt ain't Hinks.  Although ai loved the Christmas triple bill,  a lot of the other stuff I have been a bit lacklustre about.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if I should create a separate thread (perhaps mods can do so if appropriate/preferred) but after reading through the 'Who to see in Manon thread' and finding it very insightful, I wondered who people had booked to see in Sleeping Beauty and Coppelia. 

I already have some ideas about who I want to see (not a Friend so have a month or so to wait still!) but I'd be curious to see who others have booked for and am prepared to be challenged and change my mind! Also to add that I'm fairly newish to RB so haven't seen either Sleeping Beauty or Coppelia with them before. 

If anyone is interested at the moment I'd like to see:

Hayward/Naghdi in Sleeping Beauty. Also considering Nunez/O'Sullivan but due to price can really only see two performances. 

Hayward/O'Sullivan in Coppelia. Also considering Morera/Takada and could possibly stretch to three performances. 

It does seem that certain dancers are suited to certain roles (although exactly which for which role is a lot down to individual preference) so I'm hoping some avid ballet fans who have seen Sleeping Beauty/Coppelia before, or have seen a wider variety of dancers than I have and think dancers would be particularly suited/good in a particular role (in their opinion) can provide some advice! 

Of course I know everyone has different preferences etc and this is not to say some dancers are 'better' than others, I'm just genuinely curious and was a bit inspired by the Manon discussion!

8 hours ago, JNC said:

It does seem that certain dancers are suited to certain roles (although exactly which for which role is a lot down to individual preference) so I'm hoping some avid ballet fans who have seen Sleeping Beauty/Coppelia before, or have seen a wider variety of dancers than I have and think dancers would be particularly suited/good in a particular role (in their opinion) can provide some advice! 

I am in a similar position of relative newbie  having only seen recorded versions of the RB performing The Sleeping Beauty and Coppélia.

For SB I am going  (so far!) for the enchanting  Takada/McRae, the Hayward/Campbell dream team, and the  ever dependable Nunez/Muntagirov. I say so far because O'Sullivan (debut)/Hay is pretty tempting.....

As far as Coppélia goes, the last performance was 2006 and so it seems only Nunez has danced Swanilda before;  all the ladies are debuting in that role, as are all the men as Franz.

So I am excited about Takada/Bracewell, and am also going for Hayward/McRae and Nunez/Muntagirov...so far....it is difficult, there are some other great combinations!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Now I have just talked myself into also booking O'Sullivan/Hay  in  SB and Morera/Campbell in Coppélia......

You sound like me, Richard LH! I to and fro about it and then give in on the risky ground that 'only one more ticket' won't make much difference financially. And so it goes on... I'd love to see more of Takada, but she's so often teamed with McRae who I don't generally want to see, and for me the big ballets only work if I like both principals. Such a shame. But probably helpful from a financial point of view!

• Like 4

My choices would be Morera and possibly Hayward in Coppelia and Naghdi and possibly O’Sullivan in Sleeping Beauty. The ‘possibles’ are those I would like to see but at least will have further performances in the future, whereas I would choose to see Morera and Naghdi this time (although I know that Naghdi will have further chances in the future).

My 'hopes' for the autumn season (haven't been able to book yet as am not a Friend so waiting for public packages or public booking)

Manon

Lamb/Muntagirov (primarily because of the very unexpected but welcome matinee which means I don't need to pay for an overnight stay.)

Hayward/Cambell/Corrales/Magri. An exceptional dream team with potentially 2 very exciting debuts and also a matinee.

Morera/Bonelli. Bit of soul searching financially for this. Would love to see them as have never seen Morera in this role and suspect this might be my last chance. (Didn't Bonelli do it in the cinema broadcast with Nunez a few years ago?) Wednesday not a good day evening staywise for me as can only get my 'cheap' hotel at the weekend but might have to go anyway.

Would love to see Osipova and certainly would after the Hayward matinee if she wasn't paired with Hallberg whose partnering I was really concerned about just in the R and Juliet Fonteyn gala pas de deux. Now if it was Shklyarov you couldn't have kept me away!

Concerto triple

The cinema broadcast gives a really excellent cast and is great to see a triple being filmed. However...

The Saturday 12 o'clock matinee on Nov 2nd also seems to have a must-see cast' and great it's a matinee.

Also the cast for Wed evening 18th Dec.

Sleeping Beauty

Not a great fan of this and annoyed the cinema broadcast isn't the Naghdi/Ball cast featuring in the promotions as this would have spared me the expense of a ROH visit. Cuthbertson has already had a filmed performance with Polunin. If it couldn't have been Naghdi/Ball because they've had a filmed Romeo and J why couldn't if have been the Hayward/Campbell cast? To me they gave the standout performance last time it was performed and as they only managed the one I was so lucky to have seen it.

Hayward/Campbell

O'Sullivan/Hay

Probably Naghdi/Ball

Coppelia

Don't really like the ballet and even watching the wonderful Australian Ballet version recently broadcast on SkyArts didn't really make a convert of me. For me the second act drags on interminably and have never been a huge fan of the third act so to see a ballet when all the interesting dance you want to see comes in the first act is a bit of a letdown. However, I've had similar thoughts about several RB ballets in the last few years and have ended up being captivated by individual performances so I'm hoping they'll perform their magic again. Incidentally Franz is a role I've never visualised Vadim dancing let alone in the cinema broadcast so I'll be interested to see what he makes of it. I would have preferred to see one of the younger couples at the cinema in such a young persons ballet but I suppose it's the only filmed full length ballet he could star in as he's already been filmed for Beauty and Swan Lake.

O'Sullivan/Sambe

Naghdi/Ball

Magri/Coralles

Hayward/McRae

I selected these four as they are all huge favourites with me and I can see all of them on just 2 days with the wonders of casting and Saturday matinees.I would  love to see Campbell/Morera as well but it would have to be a matinee and as their only matinee is Dec 23rd I don't know how practical that would be.

When I told my brother I'd 'pared down' my Autumn RB performances to 12 he thought that was hilarious! The main worry is the expense, as for me it's not just the ticket price but transport and accommodation as well. Also I'm trying not to think about all the Onegins I'll probably want to see after Christmas! Has anyone any experience of declaring themselves bankrupt?!

• Like 4

I always find myself snapping some last minute tickets closer to the time! This helps spread the cost somewhat! I'm still expecting to take a big hit in the Autumn/Winter bookings, but at least Spring/Summer provides a bit of financial relief (though if I was sensible any 'saved' here should really be put towards future Autumn/Winter bookings as ballet always seems a bit top heavy). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JNC said:

I always find myself snapping some last minute tickets closer to the time! This helps spread the cost somewhat!

Trouble is, I will be tempted to do some last minute snapping as well as booking in advance !

• Like 3