Mental Health and Ballet - Radio 5 Live

JoJo

There will be a feature on Radio 5 Live throughout the morning on Weds 29th May discussing the mental heath of young people in the ballet world - both during training and as a professional.

• Like 6

I don’t think you’ll see it as a feature- but it was on as I was driving to work this am so if you listen back to the morning show it would have started around 7.40am ish. Not sure if it’s a theme they’re carrying through the day

Radio 5 Live have shared a video with excerpts from one of the interviews on their FB page. I can’t work out if it’s possible to share it on here 😐

The interview focused on the impact of over-supply of talented dancers into the ballet industry, i.e., low pay and poor conditions and the potential for young people to be exploited (throughout training and work), contributing to low self-worth and esteem. Two solutions proposed were a strong representative voice for dancers and increased levels of engagement and transparency between companies and their dancers.

2 minutes ago, Aurora3 said:

Is that all? I expected a whole session on the topic!

The video contains excerpts from one of the interviews. For the full interviews I think you’d have to check on playback.

Gosh, the reporting leaves something to be desired - fishing for details that would be very triggering for anyone dealing with those issues... Thankfully Jade Wallace dealt with it fairly well, not giving too many of the probed details.

Wish people would consider the media guidelines for reporting responsibly on mental health!