Balletcoforum Get-togethers

Having noticed on the R & J thread that folks were discussing meeting up or recognising other forum members, and having in the past initiated some get-togethers.. I wondered if there would be support for re- instating a Get Togethers thread ? A bunch of us do meet up to the left side of the Amphi terrace at most performances, during the intervals . If you are new then please get in touch and then come and say hello ! It’s a very informal thing and no invitation is required. This is for the ROH but other venues like Sadlers Wells also have informal meet -ups from time to time, and the same goes for venues further afield . 

• Like 7

Thanks for your comment Linda. That’s not how I personally have found our current meetings so I’m sorry that has been your experience. If anyone else has any more positive reactions to my suggestion above I would be happy to know if it’s worth putting in the effort to arrange some Get Togethers and possibly reinstating the wonderful Christmas or New Year Annual Lunch ? 

• Like 2

It's quite nice to share your feelings about the performances in an interval or even more relaxed over a cuppa afterwards when you are on your own at the ballet and I am very often on my own.

A bit more difficult if meeting with friends you know are there or have gone with etc as impossible to do both! I suspect this is why some Forum members don't seek others out even if they'd like to as they are with friends or family and it just gets too difficult.

Once when I was standing in the Stalls Circle I had friends sitting in the Balcony and Amphi that day and so did a lot of rushing around in the intervals ...totally exhausting!! Sometimes not so bad when you get these 25-30 min breaks but anything less and you'll be lucky if you just get time to go to they loo!! 

If it's a matinee could be quite nice to have tea/ coffee meet afterwards.

• Like 2

We did have the "blue badge" scheme at one time but that has fallen somewhat by the wayside - I'm as guilty as most for not wearing my badge. 

I tend to arrange with friends beforehand if I know they are going and then we catch up in one or both intervals.  We most certainly do not spend our time on the mobile phones though👍😊

• Like 1

The way I see it is this. If the Admins agree to a GetTogethers thread then folks who are not regulars can post to say ‘hi I’d like to join you in for example the Amphi terrace ... please look out for me I’m in a green jumper and my name is eg Fred. No blue badges needed. Maybe a balletcoforum flag or something on the table ? 

Or for example.. I’m going to Sadlers on the 5th of whenever, any balletcoforum folks fancy meeting by the large red bench by the window on the way to the cloakroom, my name is ‘red shoes ‘ and I’ll be wearing a red coat .. that sort of thing . It used to work quite well with some effort and thought. 

• Like 5

My real-life forum friends will know that due to my stupid body disability I tend to stay put in the intervals (or shuffle to the loo) but I’m often in the airport lounge ground floor cafe or Bow Street foyer before a performance, if anyone’s around then. ☺️

• Like 4

Well when I was at ROH last week I wandered up to the amphi terrace and bumped into DaveM, MichelleS, LynetteH and Bluebird.  It was lovely and they gave me invaluable advice about the Linbury.

I think it's a great idea Mandy.  I remember it working all those years ago when we met at the West Yorkshire Playhouse!

• Like 2

Honestly you have to laugh at yourself sometimes( well most of the time in my case) 

On Saturday I was meeting with a friend  at ROH who I hadn't seen for a year ....well we know what each other looks like having previously worked for over six years together but nevertheless said I will be in all green just look out for the hospital worker! About an hour later I tripped up in the garden and ended up having to go to the ballet nursing a possibly fractured elbow! So the irony was not lost that day! 

As it happens it's not as bad as it seemed on Saturday so don't think it is a fracture ( I've been praying it's just badly bruised bone) but will trot off to the Docs tomorrow to double check. 

• Like 2

The thing is I've fractured this same elbow before ....only what they call a hairline fracture ...but in a very awkward place on the joint and that was really painful and couldn't move my lower arm at all!

However the injury this time although close is just above the elbow joint on the outside( the most common place to fracture apparently) and although I thought on Saturday Oh know here we go again it is not nearly as painful and I've got more movement generally.

Ive been icing it and the swelling has gone down already so as long as I don't make certain movements ....still can't turn the arm over properly ....when resting there's no pain so am looking on the brighter side today!! 

Sorry don't want to turn this into a medical thread so will just add am up for Mandy's ideas!!

• Like 1

So far I've met up with 2 members of the forum (Coated in Berlin, LinMM in London) and it was really nice to get to know each other and talk about our favorite topic...DANCE. I will certainly reach out again should I hop over the channel again. Same goes for forum members coming to Berlin, please feel free to get in touch with me.

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 3

I'd definitely be interested in meeting up, as I do most of my theatregoing on my own & it's nice to have people to talk to occasionally when I spend so much time killing time in intervals & between shows on 2-show days. As I mentioned on the R&J thread, I did try going up to the amphi terrace a couple of times ealier in the R&J run but, never having met anyone on here before, I had no idea which of the many groups there might have been the right one & I don't have the nerve to go round asking lots of people. As a newcomer to regular ballet-going I'd be very interested in talking to people with far more knowlege of it.

I'm guessing that a lot of people will be at the first night of the next triple bill, & that has 25 minute intervals, so might that be a good one for me to try, if I can mange to find anyone?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

I'm not going to the first night of the triple but will be there on Wednesday June 12th ....if you are going that night too would be happy to meet up 😊

I originally had a ticket for that night but returned it when I managed to get one for the first night so I'm now going on 4th & 14th. Sorry.

Dawnstar and  LinMM , do come up to the Amphi Terrace ( outside of the Bar) turn left and look for a large group first or second table. I’ll arrange a Balletcoforum table sign ! There aren’t always enough seats as we generally rely on the wonderful Bluebird to nab them but people who need to sit can sit and others can stand ...

Im there on 4th, 12th and 13th 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mandy Kent said:

Dawnstar and  LinMM , do come up to the Amphi Terrace ( outside of the Bar) turn left and look for a large group first or second table. I’ll arrange a Balletcoforum table sign ! There aren’t always enough seats as we generally rely on the wonderful Bluebird to nab them but people who need to sit can sit and others can stand ...

Recent warmer evenings have meant that non-ticket holders have been taking up many of the tables on the amphitheatre terrace, especially during the first interval, therefore first or second table might not be available.  If that's the case, let's hope there's space further along.

• Like 1

Well we can look out for Mandy's sign then. Perhaps a big letter B? 

Yes I noticed the other night when I was just attending an insight at the Clore that after 7.30 when the main performance started there were still people sitting around drinking so not necessarily ROH attenders. And it is rather a nice place to sit and have a drink on a fine evening so am not surprised once in the know people enjoy going up there.

Yes that's upstairs outside the Amphi.

Ive just got a ticket for the 4th June .....went in the website on the off chance ...was sold out yesterday ...and got one ticket left in the Balcony. 

So might be able to meet up that evening. 

I usually have class on Tuesday's but because of elbow can't dance just yet so treating myself to ROH instead!! 

• Like 4

On 27/05/2019 at 21:12, Mandy Kent said:

On Saturday afternoon that section of the terrace was closed to all but those buying food and drink at the Piazza Terrace Bar referred to above.  For the rest of the Summer, therefore, it might be closed to audience members who don't want to buy anything. If that proves to be the case, we will hope to find space in the open section, (straight down from the Amphi Terrace doors and through the second set of doors after the bar)

Edited by Bluebird

On 29/05/2019 at 18:23, Sophoife said:

Where is the Piazza Terrace Bar? From the photo I think it may be the amphitheatre terrace?

I meant to reply to this: it's the amphi terrace, rebranded as a "summer popup" eats and drinks destination. 

I'm more likely to have time before it starts tomorrow as am in the Balcony!! 

I tend to get there about 45 mins before the performance starts as a general rule.

I should be easy to identify as have an elbow support on ....well if it's warm enough that is otherwise will have a jumper on etc. Mostly all in blue!

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

I'm more likely to have time before it starts tomorrow as am in the Balcony!! 

I tend to get there about 45 mins before the performance starts as a general rule.

I should be easy to identify as have an elbow support on ....well if it's warm enough that is otherwise will have a jumper on etc. Mostly all in blue!

We also tend to get there about that time...so we will be on the look-out in the amphi terrace area.

As it is our last visit to see the RB  this season I will be dazzling in a light blue waistcoat and  maroon bow tie....also  sporting a very wide central parting !

• Like 1

Update for those hoping to join us tonight:

I’ve been at the Tosca matinée this afternoon and the wind was very cold on the only part of the terrace open to those not buying food and drink at the Piazza Terrace Bar. Therefore, if you’re planning to join us, dress up warm!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Update for those hoping to join us tonight:

I’ve been at the Tosca matinée this afternoon and the wind was very cold on the only part of the terrace open to those not buying food and drink at the Piazza Terrace Bar. Therefore, if you’re planning to join us, dress up warm!

As a year-round glove wearer that sounds perfect to me! I should get there around 7 (on the train to London now) so I'll go up to the amphi terrace when I arrive. For ID purposes I'm wearing a beige coat, black trousers & white gloves & have brown hair in a bun & glasses.

Edit: train running late so may not arrive in time to get up to the terrace.

Edited by Dawnstar
Transport