Elmhurst extra auditions for year 7 and 14

Lifeafterballet

"Join us in Year 7 and subject to your good health and behaviour, we’ll make a 5-year commitment to your training. You can of course join us at a later stage too. 

Throughout your time at Elmhurst, you’ll be assessed regularly. If, at any point, we’re worried about your progress we’ll talk to you and find ways to help you improve."

This is interesting too.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

"Join us in Year 7 and subject to your good health and behaviour, we’ll make a 5-year commitment to your training. You can of course join us at a later stage too. 

Throughout your time at Elmhurst, you’ll be assessed regularly. If, at any point, we’re worried about your progress we’ll talk to you and find ways to help you improve."

This is interesting too.

Yes, I agree.....I think if I were any parent of talented DC looking for Year 7 entry (thank goodness I'm beyond that stage now, but stay strong all those DP's out there!) I'd be reading this with interest...specially if one of those lucky few to be in the position to go to several 'Finals' auditions or to be able to choose between more than one school.....I do suspect though that any with offers 'by Royal Appointment' will still win out as first choice in majority of cases!! 

34 minutes ago, Farawaydancer said:

Again...

This is the third year that they’ve held an extra late audition, which seems very unfair on those children who auditioned in November!

Only, presumably, in a case where a child has progressed significantly in the last 6 months to the point where a no would become a yes, which I appreciate is possible?

36 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Only, presumably, in a case where a child has progressed significantly in the last 6 months to the point where a no would become a yes, which I appreciate is possible?

Which can well happen! Wonder if these late auditions are result of those with multiple offers declining an offered Elm place in the end? Though if there any DC's still on a Reserve List this must be rather disheartening to see they are seeking to see 'new' dancers?

5 hours ago, Farawaydancer said:

Again...

This is the third year that they’ve held an extra late audition, which seems very unfair on those children who auditioned in November!

As far as I remember this happened in 2013 and again for most years since. And it does indeed seem unfair on those who auditioned at the usual time! 

• Like 1

Wondering whether the "previous applicants need not apply" note on the website means that they will actually be revisiting their records of earlier auditionees to invite them along, or if it indeed, means quite the opposite?  It would seem very unfair to discount them entirely as there must have been many more children that would fit their desired criteria, than there were spaces available on offer at the finals.  This is all very new to me so perhaps my train of thought is not quite as it should be.  Good luck to anybody that is successful in securing an audition/reaudition spot (if they do actually do that).

Find them looking for graduate year students (yr 14) odd. I’m aware they took the occasional student into yr 13 or 14 in past from other schools but to actively look for them? Why do they need this cohort? Surely they should be concentrating on getting their current students experiences and dance jobs?

Graduate year an extremely busy and expensive year with all the travel to auditions. My Dd and her peers not given permission to attend some auditions as it would impact on end of year show rehearsals and now they have a touring ballet company so this will interfere on students ability to audition even more. 

And fees for a year? No DaDA available for one year. 

• Like 3

At first I too thought this unfair, but I have come round to think it is just a way of seeing candidates who for some reason couldn't apply earlier, e.g. injury, illness or family situation.  As discussed on threads about RBS, each candidate will have been evaluated in their own audition, and the latest candidates will be measured against earlier ones.

• Like 1

Year 14 is the graduate year although the school is now referring to this year as EBC (Elmhurst Ballet Company). Students who have attended since Y12 will have completed A levels and be completing their diplomas as well as doing the audition circuit for jobs to go on to. In the few years i’ve been associated with the school, this is the first time i’ve seen a Y14 specific audition notice. I personally think the advent of EBC ( first performances were this year) they have a need for more dancers as they have bigger plans for the company next academic year. 

9 minutes ago, dancefanatic said:

Year 14 is the graduate year although the school is now referring to this year as EBC (Elmhurst Ballet Company). Students who have attended since Y12 will have completed A levels and be completing their diplomas as well as doing the audition circuit for jobs to go on to. In the few years i’ve been associated with the school, this is the first time i’ve seen a Y14 specific audition notice. I personally think the advent of EBC ( first performances were this year) they have a need for more dancers as they have bigger plans for the company next academic year. 

Yes but don’t the students need to get jobs? When will they have time? 

If memory serves the current yr14

cohort is very small - That will be by there looking for anybody that might be interested in joining them.......

presumably the benefit for the student would be “exposure “ whilst touring

Not sure how it will be founded since year 14 live in rented accommodation as well!

I suspect it’s mainly young men they’re looking for as they are particularly thin on the ground in year 14 !

49 minutes ago, Jane said:

Find them looking for graduate year students (yr 14) odd. I’m aware they took the occasional student into yr 13 or 14 in past from other schools but to actively look for them? Why do they need this cohort? Surely they should be concentrating on getting their current students experiences and dance jobs?

Graduate year an extremely busy and expensive year with all the travel to auditions. My Dd and her peers not given permission to attend some auditions as it would impact on end of year show rehearsals and now they have a touring ballet company so this will interfere on students ability to audition even more. 

And fees for a year? No DaDA available for one year. 

If the current Y13 is short of men, for example, this might be about forming a sensible company for the graduate tour.

Would be interesting to know how many from Central have got jobs from the exposure on their long established company tour. Otherwise you could find yourself paying out a hefty fee for a year to get to tour. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

But don't all the post GCSE ballet courses have a 3rd year? Most with their own performances or tour. 

Yes - not all with the same extensive performance opportunites, and I don't know if the smaller ones do. It's not unheard of for students to attend more than one upper school if they can't get a job (or for other reasons). Plus Elmhurst may be looking to attract overseas applications? 

45 minutes ago, drdance said:

Re year 14 - For someone graduating from another school WITHOUT a job, this could be the perfect stepping stone to a career.

I’m very cynical about it, I would love to be proved wrong but hope anyone looking at it does so with their eyes wide open. 

• Like 4

I think there is a market for Y14 places or movement between schools - KS Dance seem to take students who have had injury issues at other US. They do have a dance scientist to help. I suppose the question is what can Elmhurst (or any other place) offer you that your current/past school hasn't been able to?

I also, like Jane, have a fair degree of suspicion. There seems to be an expanding number of 'post grad' courses. Maybe we need to address the issue of training too many dancers....

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

am completely new to this so apologies for maybe asking obvious questions. My DD auditioned for year 7 Elmhurst Young Dancers in May unfortunately it was a no for her. She auditioned in year 6 Junior associates Birmingham Royal Ballet last year & was placed on their SWL. Unfortunately it was a no from Mid Associates Royal Ballet this year. She never auditioned for full time vocational study either at the Royal Ballet or Elmhurst. My question would be if it's worth trying to audition for year 7 full time at Elmhurst this year as noticed they put out some late audition dates for y7 as she just received a no from young dancers? And also is it worth auditioning for year 8 Royal Ballet WL as again places so limited and thinking they will have even less chance as classes already formed from full time students moving up from year7 to year 8? Thank you