British Grand Prix 2019

tutugirl

Just curious - will the "situation" ever change on those two schools, or is their mention forbidden in perpetuity? I have no vested interest in either place, but wondering what would need to change for their discussion to be allowed again??

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, does anyone know why certain medals (gold in one category, silver and bronze in another) were not awarded?  I always find this strange if the medals are equivalent to 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  Was there only one couple competing in the pas de deux category? 

21 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Out of interest, does anyone know why certain medals (gold in one category, silver and bronze in another) were not awarded?  I always find this strange if the medals are equivalent to 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  Was there only one couple competing in the pas de deux category? 

I believe there were three pas de deux entries. 

My understanding is that the score has to be sufficiently high enough to reach the designated thresholds for the medals. I could however, be entirely wrong 🙂

• Like 1

There were three pdd in finals. And yes, In some categories, medals were not awarded as judges did not think the scores did not meet necessary threshold. This was most apparent in the groups category where bronze was not automatically awarded to the third group. Tough on the seniors tho where the boy got a silver but no gold was given for the section. Similar also to some festivals I've been to

2 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

There were three pdd in finals. And yes, In some categories, medals were not awarded as judges did not think the scores did not meet necessary threshold. This was most apparent in the groups category where bronze was not automatically awarded to the third group. Tough on the seniors tho where the boy got a silver but no gold was given for the section. Similar also to some festivals I've been to

Reminds me of an RAD Awards day dd went to years ago with one extremely strict adjudicator judging a large class.  The Adjudicator refused to award some prizes, saying “none of you impressed me enough”.  The dancers, who had given up a whole (very warm) Sunday, travelled quite a distance, missed Associates, danced full out for 2 hours and so on were very dismayed and discouraged.  Personally, I was unimpressed with the Adjudicator.  All she did was to discourage amateur dancers which seems the very opposite of the point of the day.

Surely if a panel of judges sees fit to put a dancer or pair through to the finals of a competition, those dancers must therefore be of a sufficient standard to award all the prizes? 😕

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, they don't always award gold at the Prix de Lausanne, do they?

Nope.  Can’t get my head around that, either.  I know ballet is an art form not a sport (which in my mind means it’s not an ideal candidate for competitions but that’s another discussion) but can you imagine if that happened in sport?  Mo Farah only being given silver because despite crossing the line first, he wasn’t deemed fast enough for gold?  You’re either judged to be the best/first or you’re not. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I cannot see any pupil from Elmhurst who won in any category!!

I thought the overall winner was from the Yorkshire Ballet Academy?

I expect it depends upon who coached her for the competition, Lin.  She obviously entered the Phyllis Bedells under Elmhurst because she was coached at Elmhurst for that comp.  If Yorkshire Ballet Academy is her local school and she trains there in the holidays then perhaps she was entered for the BBGP by that school.  It’s not unheard of, I don’t think? 

Okay thanks for that. It's just not very clear when going to the official list of winners as just gives name...award...and what appears to be their school. 

I still don't understand it that well...if she is at Elmhurst why wouldn't Elmhurst be the school to enter her?

Of course very well done to her and hope it opens up opportunities for her. 

I think Lin because she was entered by YBA (ie her mother) not her vocational school. Her coaching for the comp will have been privately arranged and nothing to do with school. 

The school enters pupils into only a few comps, Phyllis Bedells being one and will coach for those that decide to take part. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

She is at Elmhurst full time. Her mother runs YBA. She was also in the Genée and it states she is at Elmhurst and coached by Denise Whiteman.

I think the info regarding the genee is incorrect 

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

Nope.  Can’t get my head around that, either.  I know ballet is an art form not a sport (which in my mind means it’s not an ideal candidate for competitions but that’s another discussion) but can you imagine if that happened in sport?  Mo Farah only being given silver because despite crossing the line first, he wasn’t deemed fast enough for gold?  You’re either judged to be the best/first or you’re not. 

It does kind of happen in sport actually - well in cycling anyway, Im not sure about other sports. Not that you're not first if you cross the line first, but the "value" of that first can vary depending on the number and quality of your opponents.  The number of points that you gain towards your national and regional rankings vary according to the race. You can come 4th in some races and gain no points but the same position in another race will gain you 7. So I guess its the same kind of principle.

• Like 1

But ballet exams are the same. If you don't meet a certain score you don't get a distinction, or a merit. Same principle. If there is one good candidate amongst a number of average candidates, that one doesn't get elevated to distinction, there's a marking scheme or criteria. Guess principle is the same? 

1 minute ago, HopelessMummy said:

But ballet exams are the same. If you don't meet a certain score you don't get a distinction, or a merit. Same principle. If there is one good candidate amongst a number of average candidates, that one doesn't get elevated to distinction, there's a marking scheme or criteria. Guess principle is the same? 

Well yes and no - anyone can enter a graded exam as long as they meet the minimum age requirements (obviously in the Vocational grades you have to have passed Inter to progress).  

In a competition where the panel has put someone through to finals, all finalists should already be of the required standard, in which case it follows that the Judges *should* be able to award first, second and third place.  Excepting illness or injury on the day, obviously.

Just my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to British Grand Prix 2019