Signing out - pastures new

Harwel

I just wanted to say goodbye to all on the forum. I have been active on the forum for approximately 5 years, when my DS got accepted to Tring to start in year 10.  It has been an exciting ride but after some great times and some difficult times my DS has decided he no longer wants to pursue a dance career.  It has not been an easy decision for him, but after 2 hip surgeries he just felt his heart was no longer in it. 

Tring have been incredibly supportive of both his time out through injury, giving him many leadership opportunities at school and now his decision to change careers.  He will leave with his level 6 diploma in dance, 2 A’levels and a range of good GCSE’s.  But more than anything he leaves with an absolute unshakeable belief in himself, self confidence and an ability to hold his head high.  He has been allowed to be as big a personality as he is. No one has ever tried to box him in and the academic staff, pastoral team and dance staff have always been encouraging and helpful (this does not mean he has not sometimes been overlooked for opportunities as he has, and it hurt, but he grew from it and always worked harder, and in every single situation turned opinion round into his favour).

I am very pleased to say he has just been offered an amazing job as an apprentice chartered surveyor (project manager) in a very prestigious London company.  Talk about transferable skills through dance training! He got the job on pure determination, preparation and tenacity. One very happy young man and proud mum and dad. 

I wish you all the very best of luck for your dancing children and hope their dreams come true, be it in dance or any future change of heart. 

• Like 34

Such a lovely post. I wish you and your son all the best and please pass on my congratulations on making such a brave decision to take his final bow and then go on to secure such a fantastic position.  A job he’s obviously destined to succeed at. Xxxx 

16 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Such a lovely post. I wish you and your son all the best and please pass on my congratulations on making such a brave decision to take his final bow and then go on to secure such a fantastic position.  A job he’s obviously destined to succeed at. Xxxx 

Thank you so much balletbean. I will pass on your congratulations. X

We will miss you, Harwel.  I’m very happy for your son that his determination has taken him down this new and exciting path - many congratulations to him.  👏 All the very best to you both and thank you for your posts and great advice over the years. 

• Like 2

What a lovely positive post, we will obviously miss your level headed contributions and experience. But it’s so refreshing to read such a positive and encouraging post about the possibilities out there when CHOOSING to change focus and making the most of the great education and fabulous transferable skills. Thank you for sharing your experience, huge congratulations to your son, sounds like he will go on to great things

• Like 2

Harwel, I've always found your posts informative & interesting. 

Best wishes & congratulations to your DS. And tell him from this (ageing) adult ballet student, that he doesn't have to stop dancing. There is a huge adult ballet community in the UK, and everyone's welcome! (We all need the really well-trained pre-professionals in class to show us how it should be done, and to inspire us!)

• Like 4

Many congratulations to your son on gaining such a prestigious role!  I have some lovely photos of him and my daughter from when they partnered each other during a summer school.  He was an incredibly hard worker and I've no doubt he'll be successful wherever life takes him.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, All4dancers said:

Many congratulations to your son on gaining such a prestigious role!  I have some lovely photos of him and my daughter from when they partnered each other during a summer school.  He was an incredibly hard worker and I've no doubt he'll be successful wherever life takes him.

Thank you.  I remember that summer school well.  Hope your dd is still happily dancing. X

One thing for sure, no one can take away all his ups and downs from his dance journey, something he'll remember for the rest of his life. Good luck to you both, and feel sure he'll be a success with the experiences gained. PM'd you Harwell.

• Like 1

I’m sure I will pop in from time to time and if I think I have anything useful to say, I probably wont be able to help myself!!! But I am planning my own retirement from the ballet world  - 51 years of ballet obsessed family folk is long enough. 

• Like 6